Daggerfall:Who Gets the Totem
 Quick Walkthrough
- Receive a letter from Lady Brisienna.
- Meet with her and hear what she wants.
- Go to Castle Daggerfall and find the Totem in the Treasury.
- Give it to one of the powers in the Iliac Bay.
- Receive a message from Nulfaga in your mind.
- Meet the old sorceress at Castle Shedungent in the Wrothgarian Mountains.
 Detailed Walkthrough
After you have completed the Lysandus' Revenge, Soul of a Lich, and Orcish Emancipation quests, Lady Brisienna sends you a letter. She asks for a meeting in a tavern of a random town. The region where this town is located depends on which of the three required quests you have completed as the last. She will inform you that Gothryd has stolen the Totem from Woodborne and has placed it in Castle Daggerfall's Treasury. If you have read Lord Woodborne's diary you know, that he and Gothryd had been associates for some time, because they had common interests. Brisienna asks you to get the totem and bring it to her.
At the same time, five other people are also very interested in gaining their hands on the totem: the Underking, Gortwog, King Eadwyre, Queen Akorithi, and the King of Worms. If they like you, they will send you letters promising vast fortunes if you give them the Totem. If they don't like you, they will send thugs to steal the Totem once you get out of Castle Daggerfall.
 Finding the Totem
Go through the southwest door of the throne room and follow the hallway. go through the door and you will enter a room with an archer. Leave the room through the north door. The door will be locked. Go through the door in the small room and you will reach a huge room with a central tower and various crossroads.
You must reach the top platform of the central tower. The easiest way is to levitate up there, but you can also go up the stairs in the central tower. There will be many archers in this huge room. Once you have reached the top platform, follow the way north and go through the north door.
You will find yourself again in a big room. Follow the ledge west and go north past a knight.
Go through the east door at the end of the ledge. There will be an Orc shaman in the hallway next to a door. Go through that door and you will be in the vault of Castle Daggerfall.
The treasury is a giant cube with 12 chambers hovering in the air and there are also numerous knights and battlemages in this room. There are many treasures in this cube and the totem can also be found in one of the cube's chambers. But first you must sink it to the ground. To achieve this, go to the very bottom of this huge room, a square pit filled knee-deep with water and some slaughterfish.
At the bottom are two passages at each cardinal-direction. The southwest passage leads to a room with a slaughterfish and three chains. Pulling the right chain will cast a water-breathing spell on you. The middle chain will teleport you to a ledge at the top of the vault. The left chain will teleport you also to the top of the vault but in mid-air. Every chain can be used only once.
The southeast passage leads to a room flooded with water. There will be an ice atronach and a handwheel in this room. Turning this handwheel will sink the giant cube. But it will now cover the pit, so you must use one of the chains to get out.
Once you are out of the pit, go to the top of the cube. Pulling the lever will lower the blue bars that blocked the entrance of some of the chambers of the treasury. The totem can be found in the middle chamber of the northwest corner. It lays on a pedestal; pick it up and shortly after the totem will speak to you in your mind:
A voice in your head intones... "You are (player's name). You are my new host. Know this now and resolutely. You are not worthy to carry the Totem of Tiber Septim. Only those of his blood line may carry me. I will give you a year and a day to accomplish this."
Leave the castle with the totem, but all guards in the throne room are now in attack mode. They will engage you on sight, therefore leave the castle quickly to avoid unnecessary encounters.
The Totem itself will warn you that only someone of royal blood may wield it, and it lists those people as the Underking, Gortwog, King Eadwyre, Queen Akorithi, and the King of Worms, plus King Gothryd and the Emperor, Uriel Septim. You have one year and one day to decide who you will give the Totem to. Otherwise, it will abandon you for a new owner.
After you got the Totem, you will eventually get a letter from each major faction in the Iliac Bay, except Gothryd. He will send his men after you as soon as you leave Castle Daggerfall with the totem. You can give them the totem if you encounter them for the first time and they will let you go. Although you will get no reward, you still can complete the Main Quest, the totem however belongs to Gothryd now.
Following reputations are required to gain the respective letters:
|Akorithi||5 or more|
|Eadwyre||15 or more|
|Gortwog||10 or more|
|The King of Worms||zero or more|
|The Underking||zero or more|
They all promise you a great reward, if you bring the Totem to them. Decide who should get the Totem. Basically, you are deciding which faction will win the game. You will get the following reward depending upon who is given the Totem:
- Akorithi: 100,000 gold
- Eadwyre: He promises gold but actually will send his battlemages after you.
- Gortwog: He was intended to give you the Warlock's Ring; in the latest official patch he should give you the Chrysamere instead. But due to bugs in the questfiles, you will get absolutely nothing regardless of which version of the game you have installed.
- Gothryd: 10,000 gold
- King of Worms: Fame
- Lady Brisienna: Warlock's Ring
- Underking: Necromancer's Amulet
In case the quest is not completed and your reputation with a specific person drops below the threshold you need for getting his/her letter, he/she will send his/her minions after you. These minion will try to get the totem from you by force. They will also send their minions in case you exit Castle Daggerfall with the totem and you reputation is below the threshold you need for getting his/her letter.
After you have given the totem to an appropriate person, you will be contacted by Nulfaga in a vision. She wants to talk to you, since your work is not yet done completely. So meet her at Castle Shedungent in the Wrothgarian Mountain for the final part of the Main Quest.
 Fame given by the King of Worms
In case you give the Totem to the King of Worms, you are supposed to get a LOT of reputation. For details, see the table below.
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered)
- You won't get any reputation in the end.
Mod Notes: The bug is likely in the original questfile
- There is a patch for this quest which gives you all the reputation listed in the table above, plus/minus reputation for their allies/enemies. This patch can be found here.
- Primary Knights and Battlemages within Castle Daggerfall
- 100x Three Knights every one-thousand three-hundred in-game minutes (10% chance) once you exit Castle Daggerfall with the totem, they will appear until the quest is completed
- 5x One Battlemage every one in-game minute in case you give the totem to Eadwyre
- If applicable Akorithi's Minions
- If applicable Eadwyre's Minions
- If applicable Gortwogs's Minions
- If applicable The King of Worms' Minions
- If applicable The Underking's Minions
- There is a third-party quest bug-fix which corrects the issue with Gortwog's reward. It can be found here.
- Due to a bug in the game-engine you can NOT complete the quest if you give the totem to Gothryd or his men.
There is also a fix for this bug, just follow the link in the note above.
- Any payment you may get from Queen Akorithi or King Gothryd goes directly into your inventory and is not given to you via a menu-screen. To add these payments permanently to your wallet, you must drop them to the ground or into your wagon first and then pick them up from there again. Picking up the gold directly from your inventory will cause the reward to vanish permanently. Since you can never carry 100,000 gold even with 100 strength, you may want to wait until you are in a bank before doing this with Queen Akorithi's reward.
- The Daggerfall Chronicles refers to this quest as "Totem, Totem, Who Gets the Totem?".
|Prev: Orcish Treaty,
Lysandus' Revenge, and
|Next: Journey to Aetherius|