Dragonborn:Black Book: Filament and Filigree (quest)
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Read the Black Book Filament and Filigree in Kolbjorn Barrow.
- Make your way through Apocrypha.
- Learn the Black Book's hidden knowledge and choose your reward.
 Detailed Walkthrough
You can find the Black Book Filament and Filigree in Kolbjorn Barrow. Defeat Ahzidal and enter the standing sarcophagus opposite the gate you entered through. At the end of a rough tunnel you will find the Black Book in a circular chamber. Read the Book to be drawn into Apocrypha.
This area of Hermaeus Mora's realm consists of a long, straight, dark path with several hovering lights illuminating small patches. Use Candlelight or a torch to light your way, as the darkness will damage your health. Before proceeding, loot the pod hidden behind the left-hand statue at the foot of the stairs, as well as the random soul gems and the Sneak Skill Book 'Three Thieves' on the table to the right. Then climb the stairs, claim the contents of a second pod to the left of the doors and the scroll of invisibility beside it. Activate the scrye and deal with two leveled seekers and one leveled lurker, avoiding the whipping tentacles in alternating pools along the path. At the far end of the path, you will climb another set of stairs to a platform, where another leveled lurker will emerge from a pool and attack. After defeating this final foe, climb the last set of stairs to find a vessel, a few soul gems on another stone table, and the Black Book Filament and Filigree. Read the book to choose your reward, then read it again to return to Kolbjorn Barrow.
- Secret of Strength — Power attacks cost no stamina for 30 seconds.
- Secret of Arcana — Spells cost no magicka for 30 seconds.
- Secret of Protection — You take half damage for 30 seconds.
One achievement is related to this quest:
- Other than using a light source, the damage caused by the darkness cannot be avoided by any means, including the Become Ethereal Shout and the console command
- You can change the reward at any time by traveling to Solstheim and re-reading the book. This will transport you to Apocrypha near the reward location and you can select a different one.
- The burning sound effect that plays when you go into the darkness might not end.
- Exiting to the main menu might solve this issue. If not, clearing the game cache should.
- After you exit Apocrypha, load a different save then reload the auto-save that was just made and this will stop.
- Your health might continue to deplete as if you're still in the shadows of Apocrypha.
- Revisiting the Filament and Filigree and waiting to stop burning before leaving to Solstheim can fix this.
- Transforming into a werewolf and back will cause the sound to stop.
 Quest Stages
|This Dragonborn-related article is a stub. You can help by .|