After reading the black book, you'll find yourself on a low path surrounded by water. Walk forward quickly to avoid the tentacles on either side. Up the stairs, you'll encounter a Seeker. If you take too long, or fight too far forward, you may attract the attention of another Seeker farther ahead. At the top of the stairs is a pool of poisonous water, which contains another tentacle, a Font of Stamina, and a Scrye. If your Conjuration skill is above 40, you will also find a spell tome for the Conjure Seeker spell here.
Activating the Scrye will open a gate to your left, into a series of tunnels with fenced walls. Here there are two tables with soul gems, and a pod filled with loot. You will come to a second Scrye by one of these tables and a Font of Stamina. Activate it and a gate will open to the next chamber, which has a pool with a tentacle and another Seeker (if you did not have to fight it before). This small room contains a third Scrye, which opens up a larger room containing some green fog.
Entering the fog will cause a leveled Lurker to emerge from a pool in the center of this room. Defeat it, then climb the ramp to find a table and two pedestals with soul gems, scrolls, and the two-handed skill book Words and Philosophy, as well as the fourth Scrye. If you haven't read the skill book already, you may want to get Scholar's Insight before doing so. Activate the Scrye to open the final door, then return down the ramp and activate the final Scrye on your left, which will extend a staircase leading to the door you just opened.
Ascend the stairs to find a loot-filled vessel and the Black Book: Winds of Change. You may pick one reward, and after that, read the book again to return to Solstheim.
- Companion's Insight — Your attacks, shouts, and Destruction spells do no damage to your followers when in combat.
- Lover's Insight — Do 10% more and get 10% better prices from people of the opposite sex.
- Scholar's Insight — Reading skill books gives you an extra skill point.
One achievement is related to this quest:
- You can change the reward at any time by traveling to Solstheim and re-reading the book. This will transport you to Apocrypha near the reward location and you can select a different one.
- You may be unable to go back to Solstheim using the activator at the end, instead receiving the message "You are unable to concentrate on what you're reading."
- Step into the black water in Apocrypha. When you lose all your health in the game, you'll be transported out of the book.
- Use the
coccommand to another location, (e.g.,
- Any mods that interfere with fast travel have been known to trigger this. Disabling them may allow you to return.