|This page is currently being redesigned for the Lore Places Project (LPP).
The page may need work to meet the standards outlined on the project page.
The region has a long history of conflict, its inhabitants having fought on both sides of the great wars of the continent. In memory of one of these, the Battle of Duncreigh Bridge against the neighboring hamlet of Sensford in 1E 1427, the citizens of Anticlere noisily march down Sensford's main street, a progress that results in numerous injuries on both sides.
Prior to the War of Betony in 3E 403, Anticlere was known as Reich Gradkeep. It was originally a neutral party in the war between Daggerfall and Sentinel over the Island of Betony. Reich Gradkeep's ruler, Lord Graddock, tried to negotiate a peace treaty to end the war. The Treaty of Reich Gradkeep was drafted and nearly signed, but at the last minute King Camaron of Sentinel rejected the treaty, feeling he had been betrayed. Enraged, Camaron turned against Reich Gradkeep. In the ensuing bloodbath, Lord Graddock and his entire family were killed, except for one sickly infant. One week later, Daggerfall won the Battle of Cryngaine Field, ending the War of Betony.
The councilors invited Graddock's cousin, Lord Auberon Flyte, to rule Reich Gradkeep as regent. Flyte and his wife, Doryanna, were strong, nearly dictatorial, rulers who restored much-needed order to the province. When the infant heir died, Flyte was elevated from regent to ruler and Reich Gradkeep was renamed Anticlere, after Flyte's ancestral home.
- During Camoran Usurper's Invasion, the lord of Reich Gradkeep was deathly ill (and eventually died in 3E 266). This contributed to a general lack of leadership in High Rock, and was one factor in the Usurper's easy conquest of High Rock prior to the decisive battle of Battle of Firewaves, where the Usurper was finally defeated.
 See Also
- ^ a b c d The War of Betony — Vulper Newgate
- ^ a b The Fall of the Usurper — Palaux Illthre
- ^ Father of the Niben — Florin Jaliil
- ^ Pocket Guide to the Empire, 1st Edition: The Elsweyr Confederacy — Imperial Geographical Society, 2E 864
- ^ The War of Betony — Fav'te
- ^ The Warp in the West — Ulvius Tero