The Falmer Alphabet is, or rather was, the alphabet used by the Snow Elves. It is a very stylized script, quite the opposite of the minimalist script of their Dwemer captors. There are only two known examples of the language, both appearing in Skyrim. The very low number of examples is probably due to the fact that the many Snow Elves who sought asylum with the Dwemer were forced to lose their sight, at which point they ceased to require a written language.
Gallus's Encoded Journal, written by a former Guild Master of the Thieves Guild, is written in the Falmer alphabet, but it directly transliterates into English. The Skyrim add-on Dawnguard adds an additional four books, Unknown Book, Vols. I, II, III, and IV, but they too directly transliterate into English.
- ye sa sou meldi calne tarn va nou molagnenseliye trumbi nou bala
- ilpen av sou meldi nagaiale as guntumnia spantelepelaelia arani morae
- ye sou liebali racuvane ye nu rautane sye ye nu hautalle nou buroi
- gume sou gravuloi sa metane sye garlis frey as gandra dwemera tarcel
- lane sou agea ye frey as emeratis avatheledia carelle sou anyamissi
- bisia silya nu hecta sou arcten rias nu nemalauta ge nu hecta sou epe
- gandra rias ne nemalauta ge nu frey sepa sye arcta varlor denai
- cullei noue staneiaye ry sou alasil auta ry loria shanta abagaiavoy
- malautavoy fey nou darre ye alata nou malae asma moraga sou anyamis
- av sercen pado ye gethena sou wend narilia vey emeratu sou oia bisia
The text appears in the Falmer Alphabet as follows:
- YE SA SOU MELDI CALNE TARN VA NOU MOLAGNENSELIYE TRUMBI NOU BALA
- ILPEN AV SOU MELDI NAGAIALE AS GUNTUMNIA SPANTELEPELAELIA ARANI MORAE
- YE SOU LIEBALI RACUVANE YE NU RAUTANE SYE YE NU HAUTALLE NOU BUROI
- GUME SOU GRAVULOI SA METANE SYE GARLIS FREY AS GANDRA DWEMERA TARCEL
- LANE SOU AGEA YE FREY AS EMERATIS AVATHELEDIA CARELLE SOU ANYAMISSI
- BISIA SILYA NU HECTA SOU ARCTEN RIAS NU NEMALAUTA GE NU HECTA SOU EPE
- GANDRA RIAS NE NEMALAUTA GE NU FREY SEPA SYE ARCTA VARLOR DENAI
- CULLEI NOUE STANEIAYE RY SOU ALASIL AUTA RY LORIA SHANTA ABAGAIAVOY
- MALAUTAVOY FEY NOU DARRE YE ALATA NOU MALAE ASMA MORAGA SOU ANYAMIS
- AV SERCEN PADO YE GETHENA SOU WEND NARILIA VEY EMERATU SOU OIA BISIA
No translation to this is provided, but parts of it can be translated, as detailed below.
Note: Due to the complete lack of translations, the below is just expert opinion.
The Falmer language appears to be heavily based on the Ayleid Language. A large number of words are shared by both languages and it appears that the Falmer language also uses the same grammatical structure. Details on the Ayleid grammatical structure can be found here. One difference is the complete lack of punctuation and capitalization, making separating sentences and clauses very difficult. Punctuation has been inferred from the Dwemer version of the text. A slightly different translation can also be found here.
Using Ayleid words to translate Calcelmo's Stone, it partially translates into:
- And your people driven CALNE pass into our Halls of Fire, and TRUMBI our power.
- ILPEN of your exiles killed by GUNTUMNIA SPANTEL-speak-throat kings of the wood,
- and your LIE-stones down-in-never, and you RAUTANE SYE, and you shall become our slaves,
- GUME your GRAVULOI. METANE SYE caverns FREY, by Dwemer gifts TARCEL
- LANE your wisdom and FREY by music of Avatheled CARELLE your new lives
- BISIA SILYA. We exile your ARCTEN, RIAS you NEMALAUTA GE. We exile your gifts of speech,
- RIAS you NEMELAUTA GE. You FREY SEPA SYE acknowledge dark-cast treaties
- CULLEI our STANEIAYE. As your vision fades, as darkness comes forbidding,
- MALAUTAVOY FEY our DARRE, and light NOU high, by what MORAGA your life
- of SERCEN, and GETHENA your final journey VEY guiding your eternal BISIA.
Judging by the words that can be translated, the passage is likely about how the Snow Elves sought out the Dwemer for protection, who provided it on the condition that they become slaves and lose their sight.
This font was created by GodRaine and is available for download. Note that all of the Falmer letters are written in entirely upper-case.
- FalmerFont.zip 8Kb
- For Windows: Unzip and copy the FalmerFont.ttf file into the WINDOWS\FONTS (95, 98/ME, XP, Vista and 7) or WINNT\FONTS (NT, 2000) directory.
- For Mac: Unzip (Stuffit Expander should work), and copy the FalmerFont.TTF file into your /Library/Fonts folder.
- For Linux: Open the TTF file and click on "Install Font".
The usage on the wiki is described in more detail on its template.