The Mede Dynasty was founded by Titus Mede, a Colovian warlord, when he assumed control of the leaderless Empire in 4E 17. After the demise of the Septim Dynasty at the close of the Third Era, High Chancellor Ocato became Potentate and stewarded the Empire for nearly a decade before his assassination, which initiated a seven-year-long period of infighting over the Ruby Throne known as the Stormcrown Interregnum. Titus Mede brought an end to the Interregnum when he captured the Imperial City with a force of only one thousand men and was crowned Emperor of Tamriel.
As a consequence of the destruction and confusion wrought across Tamriel by the Oblivion Crisis, Imperial control over the provinces had waned and the Empire began to crumble despite Titus Mede's intervention. Between 4E 1 and 4E 29, Black Marsh, Elsweyr, and Summerset Isle (since renamed Alinor) seceded from the Empire, Morrowind was devastated by the twin catastrophes of the eruption of Red Mountain and an Argonian invasion, and Valenwood fell to a Thalmor-backed coup and was absorbed by Alinor to form the second Aldmeri Dominion.
Over a century later, the Empire was brought to its knees during the reign of Titus Mede II. In 4E 171, only three years after Titus II was crowned Emperor, the Aldmeri Dominion invaded the Empire and ushered in the Great War. When the conflict ended in 4E 175 under the White-Gold Concordat, Titus II was forced to renounce Hammerfell as a province because it refused to concede its territory to the Thalmor as the Concordat required. By 4E 201, the Empire was reduced to only Cyrodiil, High Rock, and Skyrim, with the latter embroiled in a civil war and on the verge of being lost as well.
 Mede Bloodline
|Titus I||?||4E 17||?|
|Attrebus[nb 1]||4E 18||?||?|
|Titus II||?||4E 168||4E 201|
- ^ a b c The Infernal City — Greg Keyes
- ^ a b c Rising Threat — Lathenil of Sunhold
- ^ a b A Concise Account of the Great War Between the Empire and the Aldmeri Dominion — Legate Justianus Quintius
- ^ Events during TES V: Skyrim
- ^ Although it is never stated that Attrebus Mede succeeded his father Titus I as Emperor, it can be assumed that he did since he was Crown Prince as of 4E 40, there was no indication of other heirs to the throne at the time, and the Mede bloodline survived until the time of Titus II.