Tamriel is the vast continent where the events of the Elder Scrolls occur. It consists of 9 regions: Cyrodiil, Morrowind, Skyrim, Hammerfell, Summerset, Valenwood, Elsweyr and Black Marsh. Tamriel is located on the planet called Nirn, together with Akavir, Aldmeris, Atmora, Cathnoquey, Esroniet, Pyandonea, Roscrea, Thras, Yneslea and Yokuda, in the realm of Mundus. Beyond Mundus, the Aurbis contains the 'outer realms' of Aetherius and Oblivion, and the infinite Void.
- Cyrodiil - Also known as the Imperial Province, it lies in the central-south part of Tamriel and it's the home of a humanoid race known as the Imperials. The center of their Empire and seat of governance, Cyrodiil is also known as "the Heartland".
- Morrowind - The province in the northeast corner of Tamriel is home to the Dunmer (Dark Elves). It consists of a continental mainland and a large island in the center called Vvardenfell, separated by a inlet from the Sea of Ghosts.
- Skyrim - This is the most northern province of Tamriel and it is inhabited by a human race called Nords. It is a cold and mountainous region.
- High Rock - Home to the Bretons, this province is divided into multiple Breton city states and minor kingdoms. It is a temperate coastal region in northwestern Tamriel.
- Hammerfell - Lying in western Tamriel, this province is dominated by the Alik'r desert. Hammerfell is inhabited by the human race Redguards.
- Summerset - A large island in southwestern Tamriel often called Summerset Isle. Here live the Altmer (High Elves).
- Valenwood - The densely forested, sub-tropical region that forms the southwest coastal plain of Tamriel. Valenwood is home to the Bosmer (Wood Elves) and Imga.
- Elsweyr - Divided across arid badlands to the north and a more populous sub-tropical zone in the south, this region marks the southern coast of Tamriel. Elsweyr is home to the Khajiit.
- Black Marsh - A huge and mostly uncharted region of densely vegetated wetlands at the southeastern tip of Tamriel. Argonians thrive in these foreboding swamps.