|This page is currently being redesigned for the Lore Places Project (LPP).
The page may need work to meet the standards outlined on the project page.
Pyandonea is an island-continent located to the far southwest of Tamriel which is home to the elusive Maormer, who had apparently been exiled there by the ancient Aldmer during the days of Aldmeris. The island is covered mostly in dense rain forests which provides a habitat for the southern water spirits. The Maormeri practice a powerful form of snake magic which they use to tame the sea serpents of Pyandonea for use as mounts and warbeasts. King Orgnum, famous for his coffer, was from this land. Pyandonea translates to "The Veil of Mist", and according to legend, Orgnum and his followers were banished to this place after he tried to lead a rebellion against the Aldmer, and an impenetrable mist would forever keep them from Aldmeris. However, this mist would not keep them from targeting Summerset and southwestern Tamriel.
In the Middle Merethic Era, an Altmeri exploratory ship, the Pasquiniel, set sail south from the Summerset Isle in the direction of Pyandonea. It was never heard from again, and it's popularly assumed that they were lost at sea or died at the hands of the Pyandoneans. At one point, Pyandonea may have become allied with the Aldmeri Dominion, though they'd made countless attempts to invade the Summerset Isle throughout the course of history. For almost every year of the First and Second eras, Pyandonean forces led by King Orgnum harassed the coastlines of Summerset. They have been known push further north, as well, and harassed the coastline of Valenwood during the Interregnum.
One of the only glimpses into the actual landscape of Pyandonea came in 2E 486, when a small Maormeri fleet was sighted off the coast of Alinor and King Hidellith ordered his navy to give chase. The navy followed the ships through uncharted waters and were ambushed at Pyandonea itself. Most of the fleet was destroyed, but a single warship returned to Summerset. They described Pyandonea as a "sea jungle" barraged by mist storms. Massive plateaus spill over with vegetation which form mazes around valleys of ocean. Waving tendrils of kelp trap all but the Maormer's own ships, and provide a well-camouflaged home for the sea serpents that are Orgnum's guards and occasional mounts.
The last contact with the continent was in 3E 110 during the War of the Isle, when the Altmer, with the help of the Imperial Navy and the Psijic Order, eventually vanquished a Pyandonean armada. Legend credits the Psijics with creating a freak storm that decimated the Pyandonean fleet.
The historical fiction The Wolf Queen, v4 gives some details of unknown veracity on Pyandonea. The Pyandoneans have insect-like ships made with membranous sails and chitinous hulls, somewhat similar to some ships in Morrowind. The text also suggests that it was Queen Potema's machinations which led to the intervention of the Psijic Order during the War of the Isles.
- On a globe sprite from TES II: Daggerfall, an unknown continent can be seen. This is popularly assumed to be Pyandonea.
- ^ a b c d e Pocket Guide to the Empire, 3rd Edition: Other Lands — Imperial Geographical Society, 3E 432
- ^ Pocket Guide to the Empire, 1st Edition: The Wild Regions — Imperial Geographical Society, 2E 864
- ^ Father of the Niben — Florin Jaliil
- ^ Pocket Guide to the Empire, 1st Edition: Aldmeri Dominion — Imperial Geographical Society, 2E 864
- ^ a b Pocket Guide to the Empire, 3rd Edition: The Blessed Isle: Alinor and the Summersets — Imperial Geographical Society, 3E 432
- ^ Pocket Guide to the Empire, 3rd Edition: The Wilds Remain: Valenwood — Imperial Geographical Society, 3E 432
- ^ On Artaeum — Taurce il-Anselma
- ^ The Wolf Queen, Book Five — Waughin Jarth
- ^ Brief History of the Empire, Part I — Stronach k'Thojj III, Imperial Historian