|This quest page is currently being rewritten as part of the Morrowind Overhaul Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
- Visit Athyn Sarethi (Sarethi Manor in Ald'ruhn, Manor District) to learn about the Redoran council members.
- If not a house member, rescue Sarethi's son, Varvur, in the Venim manor, to get his vote for Hortator.
- Meet with Miner Arobar in his manor and get his vote for Hortator.
- Meet with Garisa Llethri in his manor and get his vote for Hortator.
- Meet with Hlaren Ramoran in his manor and get his vote for Hortator.
- Meet with Brara Morvayn in her quarters in the Council Hall and get her vote for Hortator.
- Challenge Bolvyn Venim in his manor to a duel, meeting him in Vivec's Arena.
- Return to Sarethi and be named the Hortator for House Redoran.
You have just officially become the Nerevarine and must be acknowledged as the war leader by the four Ashlander tribes (Ahemmusa, Zainab, Urshilaku, and Erabenimsun) and the three Great Houses (Hlaalu, Redoran, and Telvanni.) The first step is to become Hortator to the three Great Houses and complete the Fourth Trial, starting with House Redoran (though the actual order of the houses is unimportant). The quest has two different paths, one for members of House Redoran, and one for those who are not.
Pay a visit to Athyn Sarethi in the Sarethi Manor in Ald'ruhn (Manor District.) If you are a member of House Redoran (but not the Archmaster), Athyn should tell you that all but one council member will support you as Hortator, Bolvyn Venim. If you are the Archmaster, Athyn will make you Hortator immediately. If you're not a member, you'll have to persuade him significantly in order to get him to speak with you. Even then, Athyn will ask you a favor first: to rescue his son Varvur Sarethi from the Venim Manor (first manor on the right in the Manor District.) You must be careful when rescuing him not to kill the councilman Bolvyn as the other council members will turn against you.
Rescuing Varvur SarethiEdit
To find Varvur, find the Right Wing of the Venim Manor. In the large room, on a bench, you should find a 'Note to Malsa Ules' and a key. The note says that "a guest" is being held in a hidden room behind the tapestry. You'll find the door and tapestry nearby, and the key on the note opens that door (50 level lock). Remember the nearby guards won't like it if you take the key or note. Once you find Varvur, escort him back to the Sarethi manor and his father. Note that any guards that see him will attack, so planning the fastest route ahead of time might help. You are free to kill the guards, but again be careful not to kill Bolvyn. Once you return Athyn's son, he will give you his vote to be named Redoran Hortator and says that the other council members will concur, except for one.
The Other CouncilorsEdit
From this point, the quest is the same whether you are a Redoran member or not. You must visit and talk to all the Redoran councilors (see the Red Book of 3E 426 for a complete list, which you can get from Athyn) They all are in Ald'ruhn in their respective manors: Miner Arobar, Garisa Llethri, Brara Morvayn, and Hlaren Ramoran. Talk to each one about the Redoran Hortator and to get their vote. If you are following the Red Book of 3E 426, you will likely visit Morvayn Manor in east Ald'ruhn looking for Remas Morvayn. Unfortunately, he was killed defending the Morvayn Manor from Corprus monsters, and by his death Brara Morvayn took his seat in the Redoran Council and you will have to visit her to get the Redoran vote. She can be found in Morvayn Quarters.
The one exception is, of course, Bolvyn Venim, who won't agree with you no matter what. The only option is to have a duel to the death with him to get him out of the way. If you just kill him outright, the other council members will turn against you. Talking with him reveals he wishes to duel you in the Vivec Arena, but he offers a fight only after you have the vote of all the other councilors. If you don't have the votes, his disposition drops by ten points (25 if it was 75+). Take a Guild Guide or Silt Strider over to Vivec, and enter the Arena to find Bolvyn. He is a tough opponent if you attack him in melee as he is heavily armored (ebony) and has a Daedric Dai-katana. He has no ranged weapons or spells however, so feel free to take him out from a distance, but only when standing on the ground floor or within Venim's reach, as spells have been reported to go through his body from the second floor of the Arena. Healing potions and scrolls are helpful of course.
Return to SarethiEdit
Once Bolvyn is out of the way, return to Athyn Sarethi to be named the Redoran Hortator and receive the Ring of the Hortator to identify yourself as such. You also receive a note from the Archcanon saying that should you be named Nerevarine and Hortator of the four tribes and three houses, to present yourself to the Archcanon Saryoni in the High Fane of Vivec. Hold onto this note as you'll need it later.
- If you decide to kill Venim for your House Redoran advancement and your Hortator status (at the same time, being eligible for both), Sarethi will assume you are Hortator before you actually are; He'll "confirm" you as Hortator on asking him about Advancement if all the councilors agree, but you must bring up the Redoran Hortator topic again to gain the Ring of The Hortator and the proper conclusion.
- If Varvur is killed, you will be unable to gain Sarethi's support and the Main Quest will become impossible to complete normally.
These Codes can be used along with the
Journal Console Command and Quest ID given within the chart to update the quest to a certain point.
Up: Main Quest
Next: Hortator and Nerevarine