Oblivion:A Brotherhood Betrayed
 Quick Walkthrough
- Learn from townspeople about rumors of a vampire killing.
- Persuade a local investigator and widow to talk to you about the murder of the supposed vampire.
- Ask around about the whereabouts of the vampire hunter, Raynil Dralas. Many point to Olav's Tap and Tack.
- After attempting futilely to speak to Dralas, talk to Olav to be given a key to Dralas' room, where you find his diary.
- Give the diary to Carius, who points you toward Boreal Stone Cave. Travel there quickly, as you only have one day to finish the quest.
- Kill Raynil, and take his keys to recover the Mundane Amulet from the waterlogged chest.
- Take the amulet back to Erline to reveal its true nature; you may keep the amulet as your reward.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 Rumors of a Vampire
 Lirrians' House
Head to Lirrians' house, which is located just behind the right side of the Chapel of Talos. Inside you will find two guards and Lirrians' wife. After some persuasion (minimum disposition 70), the investigator, Carius Runellius, will tell you that several bodies with bite marks in their necks were found recently. Luckily, a Dunmer vampire hunter, Raynil Dralas, turned up and found the vampire, who turned out to be Bradon Lirrian. The guards investigated his claim, and it seems the villagers have only seen Bradon out at night. Furthermore, a Murdered Beggar was discovered in the basement of his house. After you talk to Carius, a conversation with the widow, Erline Lirrian, reveals that Bradon had to work during the night, which explains why he had to sleep during the day. She also believes that the body was intentionally placed in the basement to frame her husband. Erline implores you to clear his good name.
 Olav's Tap & Tack
Speak to the townsfolk again, and they will tell you that Dralas is staying at Olav's Tap and Tack. Speaking with Olav will provide additional information. With a little persuasion, Olav tells you that he knew Bradon and had actually seen him during the daytime, thus lending credence to the fact that he was not a vampire. He then gives you the key to Dralas' room in the hopes you will find something to clear Bradon's name. Alternatively, you can pickpocket the key off of him.
In the room, you find a diary called Gelebourne's Journal behind a chest of drawers, which details how Bradon, Raynil, and a man named Gelebourne were part of an adventuring group. It gives their account of how they explored some ruins and found a magical amulet which they then hid in a cave near Bruma. It becomes obvious that Raynil has been killing off his partners in order to keep the treasure for himself. Take the diary so you can give it to Carius as evidence of Bradon's innocence.
 Boreal Stone Cave
Return to Lirrian's house and speak with Carius. He will accept your evidence and tell you to meet him at the Olav's Tap and Tack in one hour, after he talks to the guards about apprehending Dralas. When you meet him again, Carius will tell you that he had Dralas followed. The "vampire hunter" was seen heading west, towards Boreal Stone Cave, which seems to match the description of the cave the amulet was hidden in. Carius then asks you to catch Dralas, stating that you have but one day to do so. He'll mark the location on your map. Travel to the cave quickly, and inside you'll find Raynil, who will refuse to surrender. Dispense justice upon him, take the three keys from his corpse, and recover the artifact, a Mundane Amulet, from the "waterlogged chest" nearby. There are also some other chests nearby and very little else in this cave.
Return to Bruma and speak with Erline to have the mundane amulet's true nature revealed. She tells you that Bradon cast a spell on the amulet to prevent the other two members of the brotherhood from gaining its power should they betray him, because he did not trust them. He told Erline that she should only tell them how to lift the spell if she is on her deathbed, and he is already dead. The events of this quest show that his distrust of Raynil, at least, was justified. Ironically, Erline demonstrates that the spell is lifted by a secret word: "Brotherhood". The mundane amulet is revealed to be the leveled amulet Phylactery of Litheness which fortifies your speed. It is your reward.
Unlike other quests, you actually have a time limit in this quest. If you do not go to the cave within 24 hours after Carius tells you to go there, Raynil will escape to Morrowind and you'll receive no reward.
- Attempting to activate Bradon's body will inform that "Repeated tampering with Bradon's corpse is a crime and will alert the authorities." Activate it again and you will acquire a bounty of 100 septims, regardless of whether or not you have been seen.
- You can pickpocket the keys from Raynil and open the chest without fighting him. You will receive the subsequent update telling you to take the amulet to Erline. She will reveal the amulet's true nature completing the quest. Raynil will remain in Boreal Stone Cave as a non-hostile NPC with no persuasion or dialogue options.
- If you do not wish to fight Raynil, engage in fighting him and run out of the cave. Try to run by wolves or bandits, as they will attack Raynil. As you reach Bruma, Raynil will die and you just have to go back and search for his body. Retrieve the keys and continue on with the quest. This works well if you are a lower level.
- Carius will fail to appear at Olav's Tap and Tack if this event is triggered in the last few hours of the last day of the current game month due to a timer bug. If this happens, go straight to Boreal stone Cave and confront Raynil there. The cave is west of Applewatch.
- Do not enter Olav's to talk to Carius while wearing the Gray Cowl of Nocturnal. Carius will enter the usual Gray Fox challenge dialogue and only give you the option to resist arrest. Upon choosing this, Carius challenges you again, causing an infinite loop. You will have to reload from an earlier save. This will also happen if you go to Boreal Stone Cave and kill Raynil and complete the quest having never met Carius at Olav's (only it will just be regular dialogue, not the Gray Fox challenge).
- This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.
- If you first pickpocket Olav's key from him and then persuade him to give it to you, you will receive two keys as the script doesn't check whether or not Olav still has it.
- This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.
 Journal Entries
- Not all Journal Entries may appear in your journal; which entries appear and which entries do not depends on the manner in which the quest is done.
- Stages are not always in order of progress. This is usually the case with quests that have multiple possible outcomes or quests where certain tasks may be done in random order.
- If an entry is marked as "Finishes Quest" it means the quest disappears from the Active Quest list, but you may still receive new entries for that quest.
- It is possible to use the console to advance through the quest by entering
setstage MS11 stage, where
stageis the number of the stage you wish to complete. It is not possible to un-complete (i.e. go back) quest stages. See SetStage for more information.