Oblivion:A Plot Revealed
- Speak to Traven a few days after completing Information at a Price. He wants you to check up on the Bruma Mages Guild.
- Head to Bruma and go straight to the Mages Guild. The guild hall will be in flames once you enter.
- Fight your way through the ruins until you find Camilla Lollia. Kill her.
- Immediately after, J'skar will appear. Talk to him about what happened.
- Return to the Arcane University to report to Traven.
A Septic Wound
Come back a few days after your last task from Traven and he will offer you another job that he does not have time to complete. You are to travel to Bruma and speak to Jeanne Frasoric there. He hasn't heard anything from her in a few days, and while he appreciates a break from her constant messages and questions, he is worried that this behavior isn't like her.
Something's Not Quite Right
When you arrive at the Bruma Mages Guild, it seems to have been attacked. There will be a few remaining undead about so take care of them before you look for survivors. As you work your way downstairs to the living quarters and then up again, you'll find the bodies of the guild mages... with one exception. If the undead in the guild hall prove to be a little too much, or you lack the weapons to deal with them, just run outside and the Bruma Guards will provide some support (and if even they can't deal with the undead, attract the undead to the Fighters Guild next door and watch the show).
Upstairs, you'll find one necromancer, Camilla Lollia, apparently still looking for someone in the room. After you kill her, you'll be approached by the sole survivor, J'skar, who now appears in a corner of the room. He says he was invisible during the entire massacre (similar to his behavior in the Bruma Recommendation quest) frozen in terror, but claims to have seen everything including the arrival of Mannimarco. J'skar reports that Mannimarco slaughtered everyone—even draining people's souls—and then mentioned something about Echo Cave and destroying the Mages Guild. J'skar also thinks the King of Worms may have seen through his invisibility, stating that just before leaving, Mannimarco looked him in the eye and grinned, although why he was left alive he does not know. The most likely possibility is that the King of Worms wanted J'skar alive in order to tell the Council of Mages about what had transpired.
Return Not So Triumphant
Return to Traven with bad news... again. He says he'll need at least two days to decide what the next step will be. Afterwards, speak with Raminus Polus to be promoted to the rank of Wizard. He will also teach you the leveled spell Wizard's Fury.
- After this quest, Volanaro is no longer available as a spell vendor. He is the only vendor in the game who sells the Summon Dremora Lord spell, so you may want to buy this spell beforehand.
- If you have the Spell Tomes official plug-in installed, you may still be able to find a Summon Dremora Lord tome.
- Similarly, Selena Orania is no longer available as a vendor, so if you intend to invest in every store in the game, invest in her before beginning this quest.
- It is advisable to loot the Bruma Mages Guild building if you wish to and retrieve any items you have stored there there before beginning this quest, as all of the items will disappear once the building is destroyed.
- One item of particular value in the original building is the only guaranteed copy of the Illusion skill book, The Wolf Queen, v 3. It is an orange book found in the southeast basement, first door on the right, lying on the desk. This book will no longer be available after this quest has been started.
- The Bruma Mages Guild is never repaired and stays in its ruined state throughout the game.
- An achievement will be unlocked upon being promoted to Wizard.
- Hannibal Traven indicates that he'll need "a few days" to digest this new information. Two in-game days later, his script will silently start The Bloodworm Helm (as well as The Necromancer's Amulet). The former will enable the corpse of Irlav Jarol in Fort Teleman with the helm. If you happen to go to Fort Teleman and find the helm before returning to Traven to start the quest, it will advance to the point of conclusion, the stage that adds the dialog option to return it is skipped, and the Mages Guild questline is broken.
- This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.
- You can get around this by entering the console commands
- If you catch up with J'skar when he is running away from the Bruma Mages Guild, he has dialogue but doesn't make a sound. This is caused by his scripting which intercepts the "activation" of you talking to him.
- This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.
- Sometimes J'skar stays invisible. This isn't serious, for you, and simply talking to him will advance the quest.
- Not all Journal Entries may appear in your journal; which entries appear and which entries do not depends on the manner in which the quest is done.
- Stages are not always in order of progress. This is usually the case with quests that have multiple possible outcomes or quests where certain tasks may be done in random order.
- If an entry is marked as "Finishes Quest" it means the quest disappears from the Active Quest list, but you may still receive new entries for that quest.
- It is possible to use the console to advance through the quest by entering
setstage MG14Plot stage, where
stageis the number of the stage you wish to complete. It is not possible to un-complete (i.e. go back) quest stages. See SetStage for more information.
|Prev: Information at a Price||Up: Mages Guild||Next: The Necromancer's Amulet or The Bloodworm Helm|