|To meet our site's higher standard of quality, this article or section may require cleanup. The user who placed this here had the following concern:
this is an odd mixture of faction/place page - turning this into a consistent place page would benefit the article
To leave a message about the cleanup for this article, please add it to this article's
The Blackwood Company is in competition with the Fighters Guild, but is much less scrupulous and will accept any job. As you advance in the Fighters Guild, you will encounter them more often. They are based in Leyawiin, with their headquarters directly across from the Fighters Guild Hall. The Blackwood Company members use the intoxicating sap from the Hist Tree to boost their combat prowess. When consumed by a non-Argonian, Hist Sap exhibits hallucinogenic properties which can send the drinker into bloodlust. The Hist Tree that the Blackwood Company uses was smuggled directly from Black Marsh, is located in the basement, and is a well-guarded secret. Gallons of the tree's sap are drained daily to fuel its members. Modryn Oreyn believes the specific tree they obtained may be corrupted, as it causes even Argonians to hallucinate.
The company started as a mercenary group of former soldiers sent by the emperor to reclaim territory in Black Marsh. After they failed at their task, they came to Leyawiin as a new mercenary group. By undercutting the Fighters Guild and agreeing to accept jobs that the Guild refused, the Blackwood Company has grown to over a hundred members and offers a serious threat to the Fighters Guild's existence.
In addition to their base in Leyawiin, the Company maintains a lair inside Glademist Cave.
The Company's second-in-command, Ja'Fazir, will explain that "Blackwood" refers to a part of Blackwood Forest but that it also carries a reference to the "thoghatt", or "charcoal warriors", of Khajiiti tradition.
† Maglir only joins at the start of the More Unfinished Business quest.
There are also ten anonymous "Blackwood Company Guards" who you can meet:
- Three Argonians (all with the same BaseID) in Glademist Cave.
- Four Imperials (all with the same BaseID), also in Glademist Cave.
- One Imperial, one Argonian, and one Khajiit who accompany you during the Infiltration quest.
One dead "Blackwood Company Member" will also be found in Forsaken Mine. He is not officially a member of the Blackwood Company, but faction membership was probably considered irrelevant given that he is always dead.
- In a later Fighters Guild quest, you will be asked to infiltrate the ranks of the Blackwood Company by joining them. The faction will appear in your journal once you are officially considered a member. Only one rank is ever available to the player, which is Company Member.
- None of the items in the Blackwood Company Hall are marked as owned property. Thus, if you want to make some easy money and raise your Mercantile Skill at the lower levels, you can take all these items without incurring a bounty (including some Nirnroot).