|County Bruma in the Jerall Mountains
Located in Cyrodiil, north of the Imperial City, Bruma's population is primarily Nords, which is reflected in the city's architecture. It is always relatively cold and snow-covered. The city's population includes followers of the Divines as well as those who follow the traditional Nordic Pantheon.
The Silver Road connects Bruma to the Imperial City, while the Orange Road connects it to Chorrol. Cloud Ruler Temple is located nearby. Bruma has a small sewer system which connects up with the natural caves that run beneath the town. This underground area was used by the Mythic Dawn during the Oblivion Crisis. The deeper levels of the sewers are home to trolls. The city also houses the Great Chapel of the youngest of the Nine Divines, Talos, which dominates the center of town.
The settlement has likely been in existence since at least 1E 1167.
In 2E 582, Bruma became neutral ground during the ongoing Alliance War, although it was initially within the territory controlled by the Daggerfall Covenant. The city was attacked by Dremora and Shadowed Path cultists in the name of Molag Bal. A Dark Anchor was then opened above the ruins of the city in an attempt to draw it into Coldharbour as part of the Planemeld, as well as to provide Daedric reinforcements. Several citizens barricaded themselves within key buildings, and the survivors sent pleas to both the Daggerfall Covenant and the Ebonheart Pact for aid. Passing soldiers helped the citizenry recover and fight back against the invaders, and the Dark Anchor was eventually lifted.
In 3E 433, Bruma came under attack from the forces of Mehrunes Dagon. The Mythic Dawn planned to sack the city as they did Kvatch, by opening a Great Gate to the Deadlands and allowing a Daedric siege force to enter Nirn. These plans were discovered by the Blades, but were allowed to continue at the request of Martin Septim in order to obtain a Great Sigil Stone. Soldiers from the other cities of Cyrodiil flocked to Bruma to aid in the defence. Rallied by Martin himself, the soldiers held back the tide of Daedra long enough for the Champion of Cyrodiil to enter the Deadlands and retrieve the Sigil Stone, ending the invasion. The Battle of Bruma became one of the most important conflicts of the Oblivion Crisis. That year, the Bruma Mages Guild branch was burned to the ground in a surprise attack from the Order of the Black Worm. The Countess of Bruma is Narina Carvain, a Heartland Nibenean woman of noble descent.
 Things of Note in Bruma
- Thieves Guild Fence - Ongar, the first fence for the Thieves Guild, lives in this city.
- Dark Brotherhood Clothing - J'Ghasta's house has a Black Hand Hood and a Black Hand Robe worn exclusively by members of the Dark Brotherhood, which raises your Sneak, Marksman, Illusion, Blade, and Speechcraft by 4 and 11 points, respectively. The equipment is protected by a Very Hard lock on a keg in the lower level. There is also a "Secret Training Room" hidden door in the corner of the lower level under some fabric swaths. There are some practice dummies here, soft candle light, and light reading is available (increase hand-to-hand).
- Statue of Your Character - After completing the Great Gate quest, a statue of your character will be erected near the north gate to the Jerall Mountains. Your statue will not feature the equipment your character has equipped, but rather what the game considers the best of the equipment you had in your inventory at a specific point during the Great Gate quest.
 Quests Starting Here
- A Brotherhood Betrayed: It appears that a vampire in town was recently killed by Raynil Dralas, a self-proclaimed vampire hunter.
- Buying a house in Bruma: Purchase a large house in the traditional style of Bruma.
- Lifting the Vale: Countess Narina Carvain wants you to find the Draconian Madstone.
- Two Sides of the Coin: Arnora wants you to speak with Jorundr to find out where their stolen gold is hidden.
 Mages Guild
 Related Quests
- Accidents Happen: An honest Wood Elf in Bruma has upset some dishonest people.
- Allies for Bruma: You are asked to bring in reinforcements for Bruma from the other towns.
- Broken Vows: Deep within the well of Skingrad Castle Courtyard, the next Drop matches killer against killer.
- Bruma Gate: Help the Bruma guard close an Oblivion Gate just outside the city.
- Defense of Bruma: Let a Great Oblivion Gate open outside of Bruma.
- Hand to Hand Training: A Master of unarmed combat wants you to try to hurt him to prove you deserve his training.
- Spies: Track down those that have been spying on Cloud Ruler Temple.
- A Plot Revealed: Travel to Bruma and find out why the Mages Guild there has stopped correspondence.
- The Bruma Mages Guild is a good starting point for mage-type characters since the guild members sell spells in every school, with a wide variety of effects. Of particular note is the Summon Dremora Lord which cannot be purchased anywhere else. See Volanaro for more details.
- The word Bruma comes from the Latin word for "cold" or "winter", although in other Romance languages such as Spanish or Italian it means "fog" or "haze". 
- It is possible to climb over the city walls and out the city. See this for details.
- This bug is fixed by version 3.5.0 of the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.