Oblivion:Cast out of the Thieves Guild
 Quick Walkthrough
- You have broken a rule of the Thieves Guild and are told to talk to Armand.
- Talk to a Doyen and pay your fine to regain your membership.
 Detailed Walkthrough
When you join the Thieves Guild you are given three rules by which you must abide:
- First, never steal from another member of the guild.
- Second, never kill anyone on the job. This is not the Dark Brotherhood. Animals and monsters can be slain if necessary.
- Third, don't steal from the poor. The peasants and beggars are under the personal protection of the Gray Fox, particularly here on the Waterfront.
This doesn't quite reflect real life in the guild.
- First, if you are wearing the Gray Cowl of Nocturnal you can never be expelled from the guild. If you are the Gray Fox but not wearing the cowl you may still be expelled.
- Second, to be expelled for stealing you have to be caught. If you are not detected while stealing you will not be expelled.
- Third, remaining undetected while attacking is not enough. Even attacking with 100% or greater Chameleon is not enough to stop you being expelled.
- Fourth, you are not actually expelled for killing anybody on the job. Most quests have a blood price that prevents completion until paid but you remain a member of the guild.
- Fifth, it's tricky to be expelled for killing a fellow thief as taking more than one hit will cause an expulsion for attacking before the murder criterion applies.
Any of these criteria apply not just to Thieves Guild members but to members of the Imperial City Waterfront Resident faction.
Regardless of your offense, you will be given a quest update that tells you to talk to Armand, although S'Krivva can help out as well. Simply pay either Doyen the appropriate fee and you will be reinstated. This quest, however, remains active in your journal.
The costs to regain membership in the guild are as follows: 200 gold for theft, 500 gold for assault, 1000 gold for murder, 1000 gold for any unnecessary murders during a quest.
- Except if you fail The Ultimate Heist (see quest page for details), you can never be permanently expelled from the Thieves Guild. As long as you have the necessary amount of gold, you will always be reinstated.
- It is impossible to complete this quest without the console as no stage raises the "Finishes Quest" flag. Using the console, the quest can be completed with the command
 Journal Entries
|Cast out of the Thieves Guild (TGExpelled)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|10||I have been caught stealing from a member of the Thieves Guild. Unless I pay the fine, I am sure to be cast out of the guild. I should talk to Armand.|
|20||I have attacked another member of the Thieves Guild. Unless I pay the fine, I am sure to be cast out of the guild. I should talk to Armand.|
|30||I have killed a member of the Thieves Guild. Unless I pay the blood price, I am sure to be cast out from the guild. I should talk to Armand.|
|40||I have paid the fine and been readmitted into the Thieves Guild.|
- Not all Journal Entries may appear in your journal; which entries appear and which entries do not depends on the manner in which the quest is done.
- Stages are not always in order of progress. This is usually the case with quests that have multiple possible outcomes or quests where certain tasks may be done in random order.
- If an entry is marked as "Finishes Quest" it means the quest disappears from the Active Quest list, but you may still receive new entries for that quest.
- It is possible to use the console to advance through the quest by entering
setstage TGExpelled stage, where
stageis the number of the stage you wish to complete. It is not possible to un-complete (i.e. go back) quest stages. See SetStage for more information.