|If you have a bug to add, please make sure that it is wide spread or has been confirmed as a bug. The article page is continuously undergoing cleanup to remove non-bugs, one-off gaming issues, and issues caused by mods. Feel free to discuss any problems, glitches, or bugs on this talk page before posting to the page. Once your glitch has been submitted and approved there, it can be moved to the main Glitches article.|
- Quick Editing Reminders :
- Use correct punctuation and grammar. This makes the articles you write much, much easier to read.
- Don't use a first person point of view. Remember who your audience is; you're instructing the reader on how to recreate the glitch.
- If it's not repeatable, don't include it.
- No attributions (ex: Found by Person).
- When in doubt, ask a Mentor.
Following this simple advice will help keep others from having to re-write or even remove your work! Happy editing!
|Archive 1: March 2006 - July 2006|
|Archive 2: July 2006 - November 2006|
|Archive 3: November 2006 - April 2007|
|Archive 4: May 2007 - September 2007|
|Archive 5: October 2007 - May 2008|
|Archive 6: June 2008 - July 2008|
|Archive 7: August 2008 - November 2008|
|Archive 8: December 2008 - April 2009|
|Archive 9: May 2009 - July 2009|
|Archive 10: August 2009 - September 2009|
|Archive 11: October 2009 - December 2009|
|Archive 12: December 2009 - January 2010|
|Archive 13: January 2010 - May 2010|
|Archive 14: May 2010 - July 2010|
|Archive 15: August 2010 - September 2010|
|Archive 16: October 2010 - January 2010|
|Archive 17: 2008??? - March 2011|
|Archive 18: February 2011 - October 2011|
|Archive 19: October 2011 - June 2012|
- 1 Invincibility
- 2 Get to the end of the game with only paintbrushes
- 3 Horse gold glitch
- 4 Get outside of cheydinhal
- 5 Only one out of five stolen food items is marked stolen
- 6 How to get the Grey Aegis
- 7 Duplication Glitch Xbox360 and PS3
- 8 XBOX360 flying bush glitch
- 9 Super Character
- 10 Ghost Mode
- 11 Random Black Horse Courier "ghost"
- 12 Crash when close?
- 13 Shivering Isles Glitch
- 14 Vampire Cure PS3 glitch- not mentioned on the wiki page
- 15 Moved from Oblivion:Glitches/Archive 18
- 16 Problem with my copy of Oblivion on PC
- 17 Funny noises and then freeze glitch
- 18 Glitch Of Doom
- 19 Free Bound Armor
- 20 Animation slowdown (Abomb bug)
- 21 Weapon equipped with zero health
If you want to be invincible then follow these steps. First,to be invincible to weapons you will need these items:"the ring of the iron fist",which gives 33% resist and reflect damage, "the amulet of axes" or the "neclace of swords",either one is fine. The last item is the "escutcheon of chorral". In order for this to work you will need to be level 25 or higher. When wearing al l if these items you will have 101% resist and reflect damage In order to be invincible to magic at the same time, you will need these items, the "mudane ring" and one of the sigil stones does a resist magic damage and you can duplicate it 3 times. With this you will also need to be level 25 or higher so the sigil stones will be "translucient" or whatever. After you have them duplicated the sigil stones,enchant your armor with them. I know you are probably wondering where these items are. Well you can find the ring of iron fist,amulet of axes,and the necklace of swords on the blind monk priest in the quest "silvia's stone" for the thieves guild. You can save outside of the shrine door so after you kill the priest you can reload if it wasn't there. The cave and its riches will respon as well.sometimes the items on the priest don't change, if this happens then finish the quest and wait 72 hours for the items to respon. You can find the "mundane ring"on mankar camoran, well its on the big bad guy's brother. to get the "esdutcheon of chorral" you must turn in the "honor blade of chorral" to the count in the quest "sins of the father". have fun being invincible people,and if you are still reading this then you are awesome.--LOKI 22:10, 5 July 2012 (UTC)
- Unfortunately you're still vulnerable to arrows, or other forms of ranged attack. I definitely know this from playing as a character with a bounty of about 350000 gold, and you're definitely immune to melee but not from arrows. A high experience in heavy armour and block would probably sort this straight out... :) AcE x EPiiCzZ 14:38, 20 August 2012 (UTC)
Get to the end of the game with only paintbrushes
Steps: Get multiple paintbrushes (around 10). The duplication glitch works best. Go to the temple of one in the imperial City. Drop a paintbrush right in front of the temple. Jump on it and repeat this step until yoreach the top. Jump into the temple. You should see a door halfway through the ground. Enter it. You should get a quest that says, "Mehrunes dagon is here!". Wait a few hours for Martin septim. He should talk to you. The quest will finish and the game is beat! Notes: Martin Septim may never show up, making you have to load. If you look at the top of the temple, you will see the cracks and part of Mehrunes claws. If you look at the quest marker when you get their, Martin will be at kvatch at will be running to you.— Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) at 19:45 on 2 August 2012
- This is mentioned in the Minor Gltches category already.--Skyrimplayer 02:56, 3 August 2012 (UTC)
- Easyer way to do it is after you get out of the sewers sell all your items then buy 4 scrolls and 3 scrolls that are a different type to each ohter then us the dupe glitch to dupe the scrolls then dupe the brushs make a spiral stare case up and if u run out go down and make some more when you get to the top fall thru the roof and click on the door mostly underground and keep waiting till Martin comes from kavach then the game will Finnish spoller( and get your statue of your self in burma)
Horse gold glitch
Before you start this you need a horse,and an expensive weapon.(the more expensive the better).Anyways,first you need to wield your expensive weapon. Then mount your horse and fast-travel to Kvach to speak to the orc merchant while still on the horse. Enter the barter screen and sell your expensive weapon and the weapon will not vanish,allowing it to be sold as many times an you want.(However I do not know if this is patched,I don't think it is but it could be).--LOKI 06:17, 10 August 2012 (UTC)
Get outside of cheydinhal
First you have to fast travel to castle cheydinhal. Then turn left and walk to the other side of the little garden to the stairs on the other side. There should be a large rock to your right that is in front of a thinner portion of the wall. Jump up on the rock and go through the wall and the castle should be partialy invisible. Go to the portion that is directly accross from you that is thinner and go through it. You should be outside and be able to go anywhere in the world.
Only one out of five stolen food items is marked stolen
When stealing from a Sack that has and restocks five of the same food item (for example Rice and Flour), clicking the item and taking all five at the same time, only one of them will be marked as stolen. The only ways around this are to take them one at a time or selecting ‘Take All’. — Unsigned comment by 18.104.22.168 (talk) at 00:41 on 27 August 2012
How to get the Grey Aegis
If you do this right then you will get the Grey Aegis from the Grey Prince in the arena. First you need to let him break his sword on you so he pits his sword and shield away. Then kill him and revive him with the Staff of worms. Duplicate him with the Skull of corruption, kill the clone, line the clones dead body up so you can access his inventory and quickly save. Load the saved game and repeatedly tap "open" until the clone s inventory becomes available.--LOKI (talk) 03:22, 18 September 2012 (GMT)
Duplication Glitch Xbox360 and PS3
I noticed that when I have two of the same type of spell scroll, I was able to double tap it- causing whatever item i dropped to double. When I had three of the same type of item, it would drop three of this item. I wasn't sure if it was my console, or if it was happening to my friends too, so they tried it too. They all had the same result as me. I found that in order for the glitch to work, the item you are dropping must be at 100% condition, and the item cannot be stolen. I tried seeing how powerful the glitch was by using 300 fire-bolt scrolls. The result: 300 duplicated items. I have all of the updates and patches, as I am writing this September 23, 2012. — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 02:14 on 24 September 2012
== XBOX360 dead quest character glitch I'm new to Oblivion and I'm not sure how it happened so i'll start from the beginning. I gt the quest for the realm of sherogorath or however you spell it. i was near the 60th day when i finish and left. After leaving i got excepted to 2 guilds, thief and dark brotherhood(i was already a mages guild one.). when i did i headed off to a town where i put myself in the sunken ones quest. then i was put in a hunting groun by a orc.i did that and got glitched becouse I took the keys but it still says find a way out. anyway i got to a quest where i have to steal a ring from a dutchess and i was told to talk to someone at 8 at the castle kitchen. she never showed so i followed her marker. I found her dead with her horse tothe side. i took her keys but the quest stil tells me to talk to her. I ain't starting over but i cant continue. so why is she dead? any answer please tell at Tristanterry85@yahoo.com. I need help! — Unsigned comment by 126.96.36.199 (talk) at 18:58 on 30 September 2012
XBOX360 flying bush glitch
This is more than a discovery than a glich. i was running around near the edge of the map and i noticed a bush tha was 8ft of the ground. It was near a broken shrine with a pond with a treasure chest in it. — Unsigned comment by 188.8.131.52 (talk) at 19:07 on 30 September 2012
This trick requires access to Arcane University, a Chameleon spell, two rings, a necklace or amulet, a helmet and a shield, five Grand Soul Gems with Grand Souls in them, and 8,000 gold. Once you're done with buying them, go to the Chironasium, the enchanting section in Arcane University. Enchant the necklace, rings, and armor with a Chameleon spell using the Grand Soul Gems, at the appropriate enchant stand. You should have five enchantments, each giving you 20% Chameleon effect. Chameleon is better than invisibility since it will allow you to attack, steal, open, and pick-up without being revealed. From now on, you can steal from a shop with the shopkeepers doing nothing. Enemies will be unable to attack you, allowing you to go into Sneak mode and backstab for multiplied 4x to 6x damage, not to mention pickpocket without consequences. Guards will still catch you if you fain, but will be unable to deal damage while you're resisting arrest.--LOKI (talk) 18:26, 11 November 2012 (GMT)
First, take shadowmere to any relatively steep hill along with stormcall arrows and any kind of bow. Park shadowmere on the hill and shoot her with your stormcall arrows until she is unconcious(feel free to experiment but stormcall arrows are the only things that seem to work to my knowlege). Run up to shadowmere while she is unconcious and point your cursor directly at her. Wait a few seconds and you should see "search shadowmere" change to "ride shadowmere". Mount her when this appears and then dismount. Afterwards you will notice that you are free of of most in-game physics, including gravity. Walk up any hill and try to walk back down... You can't! You remain suspended in mid-air. To put yourself back on the ground simply fast travel anywhere. To reverse the glitch mount a horse of any kind.--LOKI (talk) 18:23, 11 November 2012 (GMT)
Random Black Horse Courier "ghost"
I was playing the PS3: Game of the Year Edition version of Oblivion, while doing the Anvil recommendation quest for the Mage's Guild. I slept the night at the Inn there, and I went to set off for the supposed rogue.
Not far from the Inn, I found a horse with no rider. It was a BHC horsewoman, and when I talked to her it said to talk to the black horse. From there, it zoomed in on a bit of landscape; I got the newspaper, but it was odd. ??? Bertmern (talk) 04:31, 21 January 2013 (GMT)
Crash when close?
I finally loaded Oblivion on my PC, after my PS3 borked the saves. Everything was fine the first few days, but now, every time I close the game out, it closes, but Windows says that Oblivion stopped working. It also locks the mouse somewhere, so the only thing I can do is shut the computer down with the power button. I am running Windows 7 on a P4 3.0 GHz Hyperthreaded, 1.5 GB RAM, ATI Radeon X1600 series, Creative Audigy SE sound. I have unloaded every mod except the unofficial patch. Any ideas? FMPhoenixHawk (talk) 05:57, 3 March 2013 (GMT)
Shivering Isles Glitch
On oblivion in the shivering ilse there was a big unexpecded fight where the golden saints, some citizens began chasing big head then theykilled him when we hadn't even done his quest yet and it kinda effects my playing time if I ever need to do it. What shall I do? (10/4/13) — Unsigned comment by 184.108.40.206 (talk) at 09:50 on 10 April 2013
Vampire Cure PS3 glitch- not mentioned on the wiki page
I know I shouldn't really be posting here, but you guys seem to know exactly what to do when it comes to curing bugs. I have a European copy of Oblivion GOTY on the PS3, and am currently doing the infamous 'Vampire Cure' quest. I have followed the Wiki's instructions EXACTLY, word by word, but still I have a problem. When it comes to the witch accepting blood grass, I do what is recommended and change the system's language to German, and proceed to play the game. Or rather, I try to. Whenever the language is set to German, the game freezes upon loading the save, and the hints and tips screen remains static, yet the music continues. It just stays there, not loading and unresponsive. The only way to turn the PS3 off is to manually push the off button. It does not do this with the English language set, but obviously I cannot use that language for the witch to accept the blood-grass. I've tried everything, from different languages (e.g. French, Spanish, Italian) but the result is the same. I've even tried deleting the game utility (not my save game data) for it to re install but it does nothing. It's been like this for days, and if anyone, anyone could even try and help that would be superb. (Yes, I'm sure it's a European copy)
Moved from Oblivion:Glitches/Archive 18
um well i have a glitch that i can sometimes see peoples shadows but there carecter is not there but i can still talk to them it happend first well i first noticed it with the guy that works at the one weapons place near the best defnece in the imperial city and i went outside and i saw some people and they where the same way but i just saw there carect and i attacked them and no guards tried to kill me all my spells even went throo them. — Unsigned comment by Odstbuddy (talk • contribs) at 21:49 on 23 November 2013
Problem with my copy of Oblivion on PC
Now before I start, I'm not sure if anybody else has experienced this bug at all, but if anyone knows how to fix it, please let me know. A while ago, my clean installation of Oblivion ran into some problems; every time I cast an on target spell and it hit either an object, creature or actor, it showed what I assumed to be the model's hitbox and where the spell had hit it, and while it wasn't a game breaking bug, it did pester me for a while. I uninstalled the game and didn't go back to it for a few months (for the record, this involves all Construction Set files, save files and the like) because I continued on with my old save on the xbox. I wanted to go back to it, after I watched a youtube video about Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul and wanted to try it myself. So I re-installed Oblivion about two hours ago, patched it to 220.127.116.116 and launched it (completely clean) through the launcher, just like normal. Started a new game and it still does it. Can anybody diagnose it? - AcE x EPiiCzZ (talk) 00:33, 7 December 2013 (GMT)
Funny noises and then freeze glitch
When I was playing the game, I was in the arena fighting in my first fight there with the person I was and the game started making weird noises(I can't remember how they sounded) and I paused the game and they stopped( so they were probably the noises of the game glitching) and i closed the pause menu and the other gladiator was swinging his longsword like a crazy maniac super fast and then the game just froze and I think there was still music.I was also on the PS3 version.Skyrim usually freezes after long game play, but it doesn't make those weird noises, the screen just stops moving and there is still the music going on... 18.104.22.168 15:52, 15 December 2013 (GMT)
- Is that in any way repeatable? Otherwise I'd guess it was just a one-off "game does weird thing". Happens to the best families. -- SarthesArai Talk 16:00, 15 December 2013 (GMT)
Glitch Of Doom
This is one of the most known glitches in Oblivion. This bug occurs under these circumstances: - 450-500+ hours of Gameplay (Xbox-360, Playstation 3) or - 250-300+ hours of Gameplay (PC)
This glitch is known to: - Slow down/Completely freeze animations making the game impossible to play. (Opening Non-Load Doors will take ages since the door opening is an animation itself) - Spell Effects will be visually stuck making it very hard to play using the First-Person Perspective. - Make most of the New-Area Doors (The ones that make the game load a new area.) stop working. - Possibly slow-down framerate. - Corrupt Saves
Also: - The glitch is per player so if you get the glitch and then make a new player, you will be safe and sound until the glitch strikes again. - It is supposed to strike after the Hour-Counter has reached a limit (250+ hours).
Fixes: -There is a way of getting around this glitch and its reseting the Hour-Counter of the save files. After its been reset to 0, you will have to wait 250+ hours for it to strike again, and then re-do the process... -There is also a way of doing this on the PlayStation 3 Version but it's not that easy. -Though the Xbox-360 version is doomed until an official fix because Microsoft policies restrict editing of save files.
- WORKING ON GETTING THE LINKS YET! YOU CAN SEARCH ON GOOGLE ON HOW TO RESET THE SAVE COUNTER!* — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 21:39 on 14 February 2014
- Are these issues you are experiencing with mods? What patches have you applied? I have never heard of these bugs, personally. --Nocte|Chat|Look 21:48, 14 February 2014 (GMT)
- I've personally experienced something very similar to what is described as above. After about 400+ hours of gameplay on one of my files on the Xbox 360, I started seeing much of what is described above; after casting spells the aura/mist of them would stay around my character, doors would not open at all, open slowly/only partially, and other animations would not play at all. A lot of other more inconsistent weird behavior would occur as well, but the previously mentioned bugs never went away and ultimately made the file more or less unplayable. It seems to be commonly called the "Abomb bug" and we mention it here on the Technical Support page. Forfeit (talk) 03:37, 15 February 2014 (GMT)
Free Bound Armor
1.) cast any 'bound' spell 2.)find or conjure an enemy 3.)let the enemy damage that piece of weaponry or armor 4.)repair that piece of weaponry or armor 5.)drop that item then wait for the timer to run out TA-DA armor!
Animation slowdown (Abomb bug)
After several hundred hours of gameplay the following effects are seen:
- Animations slow down or freeze, for example flames cease to flicker
- Doors do not open. This affects doors that do not cause a new area to be loaded. They appear not to move as the animation is slowed down to take several minutes rather than a fraction of a second
- Visual effects from spells remain hanging in the air and around the player, obscuring 1st person view
The bug occurs after several hundred hours of gameplay:
- 450-500+ hours (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3)
- 250-300+ hours (PC)
The Abomb bug. This bug affects all versions of Oblivion. Bethesda has acknowledged its existence but has not fixed it.
The Abomb bug can be solved by editing one byte within an affected save-game file.
Utilities that will make this change include
- Oblivion Animation Fixer (easy to use, only fixes this issue)
- Wrye Bash (more complicated, has a vast number of functions for manipulating Oblivion)
After the byte has been reset (from 49 to 40) you should not see the bug for several hundred further hours of play. If it strikes again, just reset the byte in the save game file with one of the above tools.
The fix can also be applied to PS3 save game files using the above tools on a PC, but require additional steps to decrypt the saved game beforehand and afterwards encrypt and re-sign the file. These can be performed using a utility such as PS3 Save Resigner.
- Alternative fix (PC only)
In Oblivion's save folder (default location: Documents\My Games\Oblivion) locate the Oblivion.ini file. Within oblivion.ini, find and change the line
- Above article ready for submission to Glitches section. Will do so when I reach auto-confirmed status. NicoFFM (talk) 12:28, 20 May 2014 (GMT)
Weapon equipped with zero health
This one is rather simple:
- Have any weapon equipped, and have it sheathed.
- Have a Corrode Weapon on self spell of any magnitude (created at an Altar of Spellmaking).
- Continue casting the spell until the weapon is broken.
- Draw the weapon. It should still be equipped and may also still have a damage rating. If the spell breaks the weapon while it is drawn, it will be unequipped instantly. If the broken weapon is then unequipped, it will not be re-equippable until it has been repaired above zero health. Using the weapon (on a valid target, i.e. hitting a creature/person with a dagger or firing an arrow) will unequip it immediately.