Quick Walkthrough
- Once you have reached level 10, find the Shrine of Malacath and speak to worshipper Shobob gro-Rugdush.
- Donate a Troll Fat, and you will be tasked to free some Ogre slaves from a local mine.
- Free the slaves, and return to the shrine to be rewarded with the warhammer Volendrung.
 Detailed Walkthrough
The location of this Shrine can be marked on your map by:
- Speaking to Thaurron in the Anvil Mages Guild
- Speaking to Pinarus Inventius in Anvil about Daedric Shrines (you must have already read Modern Heretics or have spoken with Ulene Hlervu about "Cheydinhal".)
 An Offering to the God
Speak to Shobob gro-Rugdush, who (unless you are playing an Orc) will mention that the followers don't like 'beautiful people' and suggests that maybe you can convince him you're not so beautiful on the inside. With a little more disposition (50) he'll tell you that they don't like non-Orcs and that you should approach the shrine at your own risk. If you are playing as an Orc, Malacath's worshippers will be more welcoming and no disposition boosts are needed. In either case, you will need Troll Fat to activate Malacath's shrine. For information on finding some, see the Troll Fat page. Once you have the troll fat, activate the shrine.
If you are an Orc, Malacath will say:
- Nice present! Good! And from a nice Orc, too! Double good! Orcs are smart. They know, you want something, you do what the Boss tells you. So listen good... Lord Drad took my ogres. Poxy white-skin says he owns them. Lying maggot! They're MY ogres! So this Lord Drad, he puts my little brothers in chains, working in the mines, and it makes me mad. So. You get over to Lord Drad's estate. Get my ogres loose, and get them out. Do it now, for me... the Boss.
If not, he will instead say:
- You brought a present. Good. That's smart. You want something? Then, if you're smart, you do what I tell you. Lord Drad took my ogres. Says he owns them. Lying maggot! They're MY ogres! Lord Drad put my little brothers in chains, working in the mines. I don't like that. Get over to Lord Drad's estate. Let my ogres loose, and get them out! Okay? Get going!
 The Task at Hand
Drad's Estate is just southeast of the Shrine and is now marked on your map. Speak to Drad about his Ogre Slaves. You can either go with or against slavery in the dialogue. If you admire his efforts, he'll tell you the Ogres are in Bleak Mine. If you go against slavery, speak to Lady Drad to learn this information. You may need to raise her disposition to 70 to get this information from her. Exact locations to Bleak Mine are not given, but it is east of the estate. The key for unlocking Bleak Mine can be found on a nightstand left of the entrance door.
The mine is protected by a leveled lock. You can pick it, use an Open spell, or use the key found in the Estate. Once in the mine, your objective is to find the ogres and release them from their cells. There are two groups of ogres, both in locked cells. Every guard has a set of keys that opens the cells (if you're choosing the non-violent approach, you can pickpocket one of the guards if your sneak skill is good enough), or you can open them yourself. Once freed, the ogres will help you kill any guards they encounter. If you have kept your weapon sheathed so far, the guards will attack the ogres but not you. You'll receive a quest message once you have freed all ogres (opened both cells).
 Returning to the Shrine
Return to the Shrine for your reward, the warhammer Volendrung.
When you complete the quest (regardless of your race), Malacath says:
- Good job! No one owns ogres but ME! And I fixed that maggot! The ogres own Drad! Make Drad eat dirt! Bwah-hah-hah! Now you get a present. Keep up the good work. And be nice to my little brothers!
- While the freed ogres won't hurt you, it is possible for them to attack your horse on sight. In particular, this is likely if you are riding Prior Maborel's Paint Horse, Shadowmere, or a stolen horse (all of which are members of the Prey faction). If so, you may want to leave your horse at the shrine and head to the farm on foot.
- If you kill any ogres before returning to Malacath, you will fail the quest and forego your chance to receive Volendrung. This will also prevent you from ever being able to start Hermaeus Mora's quest (see below in Bugs.)
- If you choose to kill the ogres after the quest and then speak to Lady Drad, she will be distressed and say that you "killed the poor beasts and that you've ruined her and her husband".
- Malacath will not accept Painted Troll Fat.
- The Drad Estate is a private area (red icon) but you still should be able to speak to Lord and Lady Drad.
- Once the ogres are freed they force Lord and Lady Drad to work in their own fields.
- Due to an oversight, unlike all other Daedric Quests, Malacath's (and Namira's) quest must be successfully completed to count towards Hermaeus Mora's requirements.
- If you do not kill all of the guards during this quest, they will follow you everywhere until either of you are dead. You may not see them, even for many days, but they will still be after you. If you are arrested at any time after this quest, you will find the surviving Bleak Mine guards waiting for you when you exit the prison. They will not be hostile unless you draw a weapon, at which point they will attack you, prompting a fight with other nearby NPCs.
- This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.
- While in the mine, or even after completing the quest if they have not been killed, the guards may randomly denounce you as a thief, but will take no action against you unless you attack them.
 Journal Entries
- Not all Journal Entries may appear in your journal; which entries appear and which entries do not depends on the manner in which the quest is done.
- Stages are not always in order of progress. This is usually the case with quests that have multiple possible outcomes or quests where certain tasks may be done in random order.
- If an entry is marked as "Finishes Quest" it means the quest disappears from the Active Quest list, but you may still receive new entries for that quest.
- It is possible to use the console to advance through the quest by entering
setstage DAMalacath stage, where
stageis the number of the stage you wish to complete. It is not possible to un-complete (i.e. go back) quest stages. See SetStage for more information.