Quick Walkthrough
- Talk to Fathis Ules.
- Go to the Redguard Valley Cave.
- Defeat the ogres and take the Honorblade of Chorrol.
- Return the blade to Laythe Wavrick or Fathis Ules.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 Talking to Fathis Ules
Approximately two days after helping the Jemane brothers in Legacy Lost you will be contacted by a thief named Fathis Ules, a Dunmer. You need to be in Chorrol for the quest to be initiated.
Fathis explains that the Jemane brothers' father, Albert Jemane, once worked for him as a professional thief. He was a good employee for many years, but his greed overcame him and he disappeared with the last object he was told to steal. Fathis thinks that this object (he won't tell you what it is) has been taken by the ogres that until recently had overrun the farm. He shows you how to get to their cave.
 Retaking the Blade
Go to the Redguard Valley Cave, which has been overtaken by Redguard Valley Ogres. You need to locate and kill the Ogre Chieftain; you can either kill or avoid the rest of the ogres in the cave. On the corpse of the Ogre Chieftain you will find the Honorblade of Chorrol. Your diary suggests to you that perhaps the blade should instead be returned to Castle Chorrol. You can decide which option to take:
- Keep the sword for yourself (which prevents the quest from being finished).
- Give the blade back to the people of Chorrol. Find Laythe Wavrick, Herald to the Countess of Chorrol in the castle. He thanks you profusely and gives you the Escutcheon of Chorrol in return.
- Return it to Fathis Ules for a leveled reward in Gold.
To completely finish the quest, you need to return to Weatherleah and talk to the brothers one last time. The brothers' reaction will depend upon what you did with the sword.
- If you gave it back to the people, the brothers admit that their father was the original thief. To make amends for their father's actions, they will give you four grand soul gems (all filled with common souls). Their dispositions towards you increase by 20 points, and you gain one Fame point for completing the quest.
- If you gave the sword to Fathis, the brothers refuse to believe that their father was a thief, and resent your accusations. Their dispositions towards you decrease by 30 points, and you gain one Infamy point for completing the quest.
- Most of the time, the Countess wears the Honorblade of Chorrol so it cannot be stolen, but it can be lifted from her while she sleeps. Alternatively since she is essential, you can attack her until she falls unconscious. As she begins to wake up there is a small interval during which her pockets can be picked. This method is somewhat easier as she will never detect the attempt.
- This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.
- The Honorblade of Chorrol remains as a quest item until you give it up and even after pickpocketing it from the Countess after the quest is complete; therefore its weight remains at 0 and it can't be removed from your inventory. This means it will permanently count as a stolen item. It is slightly more powerful than a normal Ebony Longsword and can be very useful to use, especially for low level characters.
- If you decide to return the Honorblade of Chorrol to Fathis Ules, you have the option of buying it back.
- After completing this quest, the Jemanes will have finally cleaned up Weatherleah, furnishing the interior and planting a garden out front.
- Upon completion of this quest, Fathis Ules will be stuck in Chorrol and will deny you his illegal bartering services for the rest of the game.
- Weatherleah is restored to its former glory when you receive the stage 20 of the quest, e.g. when you approach Redguard Valley Cave. By rushing into the cave, it is possible to avoid the quest update, which will make Weatherleah ruined for the rest of the game.
 Journal Entries
|Sins of the Father (MS16B)
||A Dunmer named Fathis Ules has told me that Albert Jemane, Reynald and Guilbert's father, stole a valuable item from the Thieves Guild many years ago. He's offered to pay me well to return this item to him in Chorrol. Fathis believes it's now hidden inside of Redguard Valley Cave, which he's marked on my map.
||I've arrived at the entrance to Redguard Valley Cave. I should proceed inside.
||I've retrieved the Honorblade of Chorrol from the Ogre Chieftan. This has to be the item Fathis was seeking. However, due to the nature of the item, I think someone at Castle Chorrol would be anxious to have this back. I need to decide whether to sell the weapon to Fathis, or return it to the Castle.
||I've returned the sword to Laythe Wavrick, Herald to the Countess of Chorrol. In gratitude, he's rewarded me with the Escutcheon of Chorrol, an item only bestowed to the most honored of heroes. I should go speak to the Jemane brothers about what's happened.
||I've given the sword I took from the Ogre Chieftan [sic] to Fathis, and he's paid me quite well in return. I should go speak to the Jemane brothers about what's happened.
||Selling the Honorblade of Chorrol to Fathis has left me with no evidence of Albert Jemane's past, preventing me from convincing Guilbert that his father was once a notorious member of the Thieves Guild. (If the player sold the Honorblade of Chorrol to Fathis Ules) or
I've shown the reward given to me by Laythe Wavrick to Guilbert Jemane. He was saddened to hear that his father was actually a master thief, but was happy that the Honorblade was returned to Castle Chorrol where it belongs. He rewarded me with a personal keepsake as thanks for righting one of his family's past wrongs. (If the player returned the blade to Laythe Wavrick)
- Not all Journal Entries may appear in your journal; which entries appear and which entries do not depends on the manner in which the quest is done.
- Stages are not always in order of progress. This is usually the case with quests that have multiple possible outcomes or quests where certain tasks may be done in random order.
- If an entry is marked as "Finishes Quest" it means the quest disappears from the Active Quest list, but you may still receive new entries for that quest.
- On the PC, it is possible to use the console to advance through the quest by entering
setstage MS16B stage, where
stage is the number of the stage you wish to complete. It is not possible to un-complete (i.e. go back) quest stages. See SetStage for more information.