Quick Walkthrough
- Ask around about possible "spies."
- Kill the two spies (Jearl and Saveri Faram).
- Search Jearl's basement and recover the enemy plans.
- Return to Cloud Ruler Temple with the information.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 Investigate Spies
Once you've given the Mysterium Xarxes to Martin, he tells you to speak to Jauffre about Spies. Apparently the gate guards have seen strangers along the road near the temple for the past few nights and Jauffre wants you to find them. Speak to Captain Steffan for more details. Steffan says the spies have been seen near the Runestone at the bottom of the hill near dusk.
 The Rune Stone
There are two Mythic Dawn Agents to find and eliminate to complete this quest: Saveri Faram and Jearl. Note that even though it is possible to pickpocket the Basement Key from Jearl as she leaves her house and obtain proof that Jearl is a spy, you will still be forced to kill the spies. The pointer will point back to Jauffre at Cloud Ruler Temple as soon as you obtain the proof, but he will instruct you to kill them anyway (see stage 85).
The first can most often be found at the Hestra Rune Stone indicated by Steffan, just southeast of the Temple towards Bruma. At sunset (shortly after 5:00 pm, to be specific), one or both Mythic Dawn Agents will appear in the ruins and attack you on sight. The runestone's Bound Gauntlets and Bound Weapon (dagger or mace) may be useful in the fight.
If you need help, you can lead the agents to either the town or the temple and have the guards help you kill them. You can also go directly into Jearl's house in Bruma during the day. This makes it much easier to get help if you need it.
Once the first Mythic Dawn agent is dead, you will receive a quest message to speak to Captain Burd in Bruma, as Jauffre previously mentioned. Make sure you loot all keys from the first agent's corpse.
If you kill both agents before talking to Captain Burd and then talk to Jauffre, he will direct you to locate their base, so you will still need to talk to Captain Burd to continue.
 Jearl's Basement
The first agent has two keys on her which should help you find the cultists' base in Bruma.
You can head directly to Jearl's house or seek further guidance from Captain Burd. He might be found patrolling the Great Hall in Bruma. Ask him about Spies in town and he doesn't have any specific information. Tell him what you've found so far. If you killed the cultist at the runestones he'll allow you to search Jearl's home, otherwise he'll mention the Bruma Caverns are being used by the spies.
Jearl's house is in the southern part of Bruma and is easily entered with the key you retrieved from her. There's nothing much to be found on the first floor. The one locked chest just has a 75% chance of containing one piece of armor (fur or leather) or one weapon (iron or steel). However, there is a concealed trapdoor that is partially hidden by the green rug closest to the bed. Alternatively, you can go through the Bruma Caverns found just west of town.
Either way, you'll end up in Jearl's basement (both entrances locked, level dependent, opened with the Basement Key from either spy). On a table you find Jearl's Orders, which reveal the enemy's plans. Apparently she and Saveri were casing the Cloud Ruler Temple in preparation for an all-out attack on it and Bruma through the use of Oblivion Gates. The basement doesn't contain anything else of interest except volumes one and two of the Mythic Dawn Commentaries.
The second agent will likely attack you on your way to Jearl's basement. If you're having trouble finding the second agent, Saveri Faram or Jearl can be found at the house only at specific times. They can be found sleeping in her bed during the night, but otherwise may be found in the basement, caverns, or woods between Bruma and the Cloud Ruler Temple. Be ready, as the remaining agent will likely attack on sight.
If you report back to Captain Burd, he will allow you to enter Jearl's house at any time. For all practical purposes, this means that the house becomes yours. Be aware, however, that only the chest on the ground floor is safe for storage.
 Return to Cloud Ruler Temple
Return with the plans to Jauffre who will congratulate you on your efforts and then run off to warn the Countess of Bruma about the impending attack. Speak to Martin to learn what he has discovered from the Mysterium Xarxes so far.
- At stage 80 of this quest, some alchemical apparatus and ingredients appear on the table in the Great Hall of Cloud Ruler Temple.
- There are several ways to learn of Jearl's suspicious visitor.
- With some gold as enticement, the beggars of Bruma will readily tell you that they have seen a stranger at Jearl's window.
- If you have not yet completed Two Sides of the Coin, Arnora Auria will tell you that she has heard voices from Jearl's house, despite having seen no-one else enter or leave.
- With a high enough disposition, Ongar the World-Weary will inform you that Jearl has a visitor that can be seen in her house during the day.
- As mentioned by Jauffre, Captain Burd will be able to help out, saying that Jearl just returned from a trip down south.
- It is possible for either of the spies to be killed by other people or by creatures. Even if you did not witness the death, a quest update will appear.
- If you ignore Jauffre and skip straight to the Captain after hearing Martin mention spies, Jearl and her orders will not appear.
- It is possible for the quest target marker to be stuck pointing to Burd, even though he has nothing new to tell you. This doesn't affect your game; just read the quest text to find out where you're supposed to go. - If this happens, wait until about 9:00am to talk to Jauffre at the Clouds Ruler Temple.
- This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.
- After being told to search Jearl's house, your map marker points to Bruma Caverns. While Jearl's house is accessible through the caverns, it's not the logical route and not something the player would know.
- This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.
- Sometimes, if Jearl is killed alone, Saveri Faram will not appear. In order to easily solve this, you can use the console commands
kill. You will then be able to continue the quest.
 Journal Entries
- Not all Journal Entries may appear in your journal; which entries appear and which entries do not depends on the manner in which the quest is done.
- Stages are not always in order of progress. This is usually the case with quests that have multiple possible outcomes or quests where certain tasks may be done in random order.
- If an entry is marked as "Finishes Quest" it means the quest disappears from the Active Quest list, but you may still receive new entries for that quest.
- On the PC, it is possible to use the console to advance through the quest by entering
setstage MQ07 stage, where
stageis the number of the stage you wish to complete. It is not possible to un-complete (i.e. go back) quest stages. See SetStage for more information.
|Prev: Dagon Shrine||Up: Main Quest||Next: Blood of the Daedra|