Oblivion:The Forlorn Watchman (quest)
 Quick Walkthrough
- Ask about rumors in town and hear about the ghost.
- Talk to Gilgondorin about the ghost.
- Speak with the ghost to learn about the Mouth of the Panther.
- Ask Gilgondorin about the Mouth of the Panther.
- Visit the Mouth of the Panther, and discover the wrecked Emma May.
- Make your way through the wreck, taking out the ethereal undead on the way, until you reach the cabin's log book.
- After reading the log, reach the lower level, and defeat the leader.
- Take the leader's key to unlock the last room.
- Free Blakely's corpse, and his ghost appears. He tells you to take the map to lead you to underwater treasure.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 Ghost of the Shores
Gilgondorin will direct you to Bawnwatch Camp, where the ghost appears each night at 8 pm.
 Confront a Ghost
Go to Bawnwatch Camp and observe the ghost. After a short pause the ghost will begin his lonely trek around the water's edge. Follow him to a spot near Fort Irony. While following the ghost in sneak mode, the player will remain hidden. This is a very easy way to increase your sneak skill. When the ghost stops walking and pauses to "enjoy the view," you can also increase your sneak skill. Just make sure you are constantly moving, because simply just staying in one place motionless will not increase your skill, you must be moving for your sneak skill to increase. There is a tree next behind and very close to where the ghost stops walking. All you have to do is keep on walking into the tree, and your sneak skill will be constantly increasing.
Once the ghost stops, speak with him to learn that he was once Grantham Blakely. He cryptically states that he now lies "stuck in the Mouth of the Panther". He will then ask that you release him. Return to Gilgondorin to inquire about the Mouth of the Panther. He will inform you that it is the place where the Panther River empties into the Niben Bay. Several rocks protrude from the surface like teeth, earning the area its name. He will also inform you that it is a treacherous place for ships. A marker noting its location will be added to your map.
 Mouth of the Panther
Locate the wreck of the Emma May and enter the ship through a crack in the hull. The wreck is inhabited by ethereal undead (ghosts or wraiths, depending on your level).
After entering, open the door directly ahead. On a table within the cabin lies a log book, whose contents describe a mutiny that had taken place during a great storm. Against the mutineers, the Captain and Grantham Blakely stood alone. When the mutiny succeeded, the mutinous crew sought refuge in the Mouth of the Panther, only to run aground. All perished in the wreck. Make your way down to the mid-level of the hull, fighting past the ethereal spirits of the crew, and eventually to the lower level, where you will be attacked by Gable the Traitor, the gloom wraith spirit of the mutiny's leader.
 Free Blakely
After defeating the traitor, take the Small Key from his remains and unlock the final room of the wrecked ship. Within you will find Grantham Blakely's corpse chained to a pillar. Upon releasing Blakely from his bonds, his ghost will appear and thank you.
He also tells you to look on the floor for a map, behind the remains of his body. The map indicates the location of some treasure, which Grantham wishes you to find in recompense for his salvation. The map marker will direct you to cross the winding Panther River, heading due east, where you will discover the treasure underwater near Black Dog Camp lodged between rocks. Swim southwest from the boat at the bandit camp, and you should find a group of four rocks on the bottom; the chest is between the rocks.
The chest contains leveled loot consisting of:
- One empty soul gem
- Two unenchanted rings
- Two unenchanted pieces of jewelry (rings or amulets)
- Six gems and/or silver nuggets
- 60-2235 gold
- One magical weapon
- There is no need to return to Gilgondorin for information appertaining to the Mouth of the Panther if you carefully observe the direction the Forlorn Watchman is pointing. By precisely following such, you will notice a landmark icon appear within your compass; this is the Mouth of the Panther.
- At the sacrifice of roleplaying, there is, in fact, no need to speak with Gilgondorin at all. Being at Bawnwatch Camp after 8 pm allows the remainder of the quest to fall into place. The fastest way of all is to find the Watchman at his Fort Irony vigil; he is there in the wee hours of the morning. You cannot, however, simply venture within the ship without first encountering and following the Watchman. The ghost of the final traitor will not appear, thus prohibiting you from entering the last room.
- It is possible, particularly if you fast travel to Bawnwatch Camp late at night, that the ghost will start the trek late. If the time approaches morning, this will result in the Watchman disappearing as you walk. For this reason, it is best to start at the suggested time; 8 pm. If you know where the watchman goes, directly above and west of Fort Irony, you can find him there after about 9:00 any night once the quest has started.
- Gable the Traitor is not categorized as a member of the undead faction. Therefore, if you get the other creatures in the ship to follow you down to his level (e.g., by running through the first two levels and getting them to chase you), they are likely to attack Gable instead of you. Gable is stronger than the other undead in the ship, and therefore generally wins, but in the meantime you have an opportunity to attack him while he is distracted.
- This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.
- Killing Gable and taking the key will lead to the journal message mentioning the log book even if you never read it. Reading the log book afterwards does not add that entry into your journal.
- This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.
 Journal Entries
- Not all Journal Entries may appear in your journal; which entries appear and which entries do not depends on the manner in which the quest is done.
- Stages are not always in order of progress. This is usually the case with quests that have multiple possible outcomes or quests where certain tasks may be done in random order.
- If an entry is marked as "Finishes Quest" it means the quest disappears from the Active Quest list, but you may still receive new entries for that quest.
- It is possible to use the console to advance through the quest by entering
setstage MS06 stage, where
stageis the number of the stage you wish to complete. It is not possible to un-complete (i.e. go back) quest stages. See SetStage for more information.