|Archive 1: Mar 2006 - Dec 2007|
|Archive 2: Jan 2008 - Dec 2009|
 Enableing Enchantment Effects in CS
Is it posible to change which effects you are able to use at the enchanting altar through the CS? I am interested in enabling resist magic in particular if anyone knows how to. Ihasaquestion 21:57, 11 August 2010 (UTC)
I Figured this out for anyone else who was wondering under the gameplay button there is a spell effects button which opens a menu of all spell efects they each have checkboxes for spellmaking and enchanting.Ihasaquestion 22:15, 11 August 2010 (UTC)
 Enchanting the Honorblade of Chorrol
Am I missing something? I have tried to enchant (at an alter and with a Sigil Stone) the blade after stealing it back from the countess. It doesn't show up in the "add item" menu. (PS3 GOTY edition) Aside from Staves are there other items which cannot be enchanted? I placed this on the "Sins of the Father" discussion page as well.126.96.36.199 16:37, 13 January 2010 (UTC)
you can't enchant quest items
Either that or like what you said you "Stole it back from the countess". Remember any stolen items will not appear on enchanting. Much like in trading when stolen goods do not appear on the list of thing you wish to sell. The Grand Champ 15:04, 3 April 2010 (UTC)
- Since when? Stolen items always show up when I'm enchanting.188.8.131.52 15:02, 5 June 2010 (UTC)
- if you steal it back it will still be a quest item--GUM!!! 15:07, 5 June 2010 (UTC)
 Infinite Energy
i don't know the correct term for it but when you are enchanting it is the thing that tells you how much power you have left to use on effects (with grand soul gems filled all the way it's max is 85) i find this ,probably like most of you do, a very stupid addition to the game. I own a pc version of oblivion is there any way using glitches or console commands to make this number go up?— Unsigned comment by 184.108.40.206 (talk) on 2 February 2010
 Npc charge?
Will an npc charge their weapon if they have eveything needed to do so?
- Well not really, you see NPC's might act like us but they can't do some of the stuff we can do. But if they have a secondary weapon they will equip it when there enchanted weapon is discharged.
The GrandChamp 15:12, 3 April 2010 (UTC)
 Invisible Enchantments
For some reason i cant enchant armor or robes with chameleon, it doesn't give me the option to enchant it with chameleon and my Ilusion skill is 53. Do I need to level up a certain skill or can you just not enchant armor or clothes with invisibility??? Someone please help me!(I have an unpatched goty edition on the Xbox 360).
Well what is the level of illusion needed to cast that Chameleon Spell? If you are not high enough to cast it, then it won't appear on the enchanting and spellmaking altar because you have not learned it yet. And the game is not preventing you from putting on a Chameleon enchant. The Grand Champ 15:08, 3 April 2010 (UTC)
- Do you know a spell with the chameleon effect? 220.127.116.11 15:20, 5 June 2010 (UTC)
 weapons don't appear at altar
Only my clothing and armor appear in the inventory at the enchanting altar. I have plenty of usable spells--what gives? Thanks.18.104.22.168 22:22, 1 May 2010 (UTC)
- Perhaps a silly question, but you do have a weapon in your inventory, don't you? Otherwise, I have no idea. Talk Wolok gro-Barok Contributions 10:19, 3 May 2010 (UTC)
are they already enchanted?22.214.171.124 00:18, 24 December 2010 (UTC)
 Enchantments for followers
I'd love some advice please. I'm using the Jemane twins as permanent followers and I'm thinking about swapping out their regular clothing with some zero-weight enchanted clothing. I can give them up to four pieces of clothing (hood, wrist irons, shirt, pants) but I'm undecided as to what sort of enchantments I should give them. I was thinking "resist magic" which I suppose would be handy since I mostly run them through conjurer/necromancer lairs, but then again, they can't be killed anyway (still essential at this point). So I don't know, lol. I'm almost considering giving them "light" enchantments or something so they can be human lanterns in caves with me. I'm just not sure. What sort of enchantments can be recommended for unkillable followers?
- Light enchantment isn't really worth it. It's much better just using a petty soul gem to enchant a ring with night-eye (or light, if you don't mind not being sneaky). I'd say anything that improves their combat skill, like fortify skill, or fortify health to stop them falling unconscious as much (if they are). Don't forget to sign your post using four of these "~". 126.96.36.199 15:18, 5 June 2010 (UTC)
 Can I enchant the Amber Armor from Shivering Isles?
Could someone direct me to the page that talks about what you can and can't enchant, specifically?
I'm sure I remember reading that when you enchant an already enchanted item, it's current enchantments will be removed. I can't find where I found that information (Currently, it's not on this page). I was specifically trying to find out if I could enchant/re-enchant Amber Armor from the Shivering Isles expansion. I'd hate to find out that it has some sort of exception since it's an expansion/different world/etc. Thanks, 188.8.131.52 05:47, 3 July 2010 (UTC)Anon
- Enchanted armor and weapons cannot be re-enchanted, only unenchanted armor can. You can enchant Amber Armor if you made the basic kind, but you cannot re-enchant one made with a matrix. The base armor is the same with matrix-made armor and basic armor. So long as an armor or weapon isn't enchanted and isn't a quest item, it can be enchanted whether it came from an expansion or not--Tenraah 02:21, 20 July 2010 (UTC)
 Multiple Enchantments
I'm having trouble and seek wisdom from a veteran. The web page on enchants says you can put more then one enchantment on a single item, but when I go to enchant an item it doesn't give me the option or the ability to add a second enchantment to the list during the creation process. If someone can give me the insight on how to do this that would be great. 184.108.40.206 02:06, 20 July 2010 (UTC)
- If you're trying to enchant clothing, you can only use one effect, whereas weapons can have multiple enchantments. Also, the enchantments you can make are determine by the spells/abilities you have. If you only have one spell, you can only make an enchantment with that one effect. -- Jplatinum16 04:46, 20 July 2010 (UTC)
 Agility or Acrobatics?
Which would get me higher jumps, fortifying agility by 10 pts on an item, or fortifying Acrobatics by 10 pts on an item? Would I run faster with the 10 pts on Athletics or on Speed? — Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) on 25 July 2010
Just tested one. Enchanting with Acrobatics allows for higher jumps; enchanting with agility does nothing to impact how high you can jump. Too lazy to test speed/athletics. Somebody go do that.
Speed affects running speed as much as athletics so either one will work.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the acrobatics be tested by raising speed? (Speed=Acrobatics, Athletics, L. Armour, Agility=Marksman, Security, Sneak) 18.104.22.168 18:42, 27 July 2010 (UTC)
I don't know, I just was thinking more realistically that agility would effect height of jumps in my mind. Regardless, increasing speed did not make jumps higher.
- Speed governs both Acrobatics and Athletics and increases your movement speed. Athletics skill also increases your movement speed however Acrobatics skill is the only thing that affects jump height (speed does not). Athletics and Speed may increase the jump DISTANCE due to the fact that the faster you are moving the more distance you can cover while jumping.Reizl 22:48, 29 August 2011 (UTC)
 Recharging via Soul Gems
The addition I made was to clarify for others that recharging can be done yourself without the need for an Altar of Enchanting. I had been previously unaware of this until reading this page, which seemed to suggest it was so instead of clearly stating it. Are we needing to conserve words here or are we looking to offer information? Meh. 22.214.171.124 03:29, 7 August 2010 (UTC)
- I don't see what needed to be clarified in the first place; since I don't see anything that suggests that an Altar of Enchanting is needed for recharging. If you think the current wording is unclear, feel free to adjust it again. The wording used before I edited it seemed redundant, at least the way I read it. --GKtalk2me 19:26, 7 August 2010 (UTC)
 Do Light and Detect Life enchantments stack?
For instance, if I had a hood enchanted with Light 40 ft and a Ring with Light 40 ft, would it give me Light for 80 ft? The same goes for Detect Life. Forgive me if it answered this anywhere else, I'm too lazy to read everything.
- Yes, it would.--Corevette789 00:46, 9 August 2010 (UTC)
- A double-check never hurts so I did some testing.
- Using the console, I gave myself some Deer Skin Gauntlets and a Deer Skin Helmet for detect life, plus a Base Ring of Light and some Sunburst Gauntlets for Light.
- I happened to be in Crucible at the time so I headed for the Seducer standing at the top of Suicide Stair. I moved to the top of the staircase to the palace and put on the Deer Skin Gauntlets. The Seducer didn't show up. I then put on the Deer Skin Helmet. She gained the detect life effect.
- Next, I switched to 3rd-party POV and equipped the ring. A circle of light appeared around my character. I then equipped the gauntlets and the circle (roughly) doubled in size.
- Proof positive. rpeh •T•C•E• 00:57, 9 August 2010 (UTC)
Really? I did my own testing with light and moved so that a dark wall was barely out of distance of my light and then equipped about 5 more items with 40 ft of light and the wall never lit up. I'm playing on the Xbox 360 though, so maybe it's different?
- Well, It works for me on the 360, so It could be a camera quirk. 126.96.36.199 01:08, 9 August 2010 (UTC)
I did it again in first person and third person and looked at items, trees, and people. The light didn't seem to get bigger as I wore more items.
Just did it with Detect Life and it worked. Maybe I just have weird TV display settings or something that makes my light messed up. I don't know.
not working for me on 360 either..i think it's because the graphics are turned down so can't see it going further. works with detect life though woich is point less seeing how anymore then 80 or so is wasted as actor's aren't drawn--Silverfox6000 00:26, 13 November 2010 (UTC)
Is it me, or is Fortify Health a big waste compared with Fortify Endurance? Boosting Endurance will give you twice as much health, for a lower price. 188.8.131.52 09:59, 25 August 2010 (UTC)
- Yes, you're right. There are a few instances like that in the game, such as the elemental Shield effects vs. the standard Shield effect. – Robin Hood↝talk 16:55, 25 August 2010 (UTC)
 Fortify attribute
- Do you have a Fortify Attribute spell? --Brf 20:42, 20 January 2011 (UTC)
- There isn't a Fortify Attribute spell in-game without using the console so you can't use it's effect for enchanting.184.108.40.206 00:58, 9 July 2012 (UTC)
 Spell Absorption and Reflect Spell?
At the moment I have 45% Spell Absorption on my char. If I put 55% Reflect Spell on my equipment, will I be immune to magic? Or do the two overlap instead of stacking? 220.127.116.11 00:01, 14 February 2011 (UTC)
- NM, I found the answer on a different page. For others wondering the same thing I was, they do not stack, instead a spell first has to go through your reflect, then your absorb, then your resist. Each one is done individually and not all at once, so having a combination of these 3 add up to 100 will not make you immune to magic, only having one of them at 100 will make you fully immune to magic. 18.104.22.168 19:47, 16 February 2011 (UTC)
 Enchanting Arrows
 No-limit enchanting
I seek help! Is there a mod which makes possible to use any enchantment on weapons, clothing and armor, and also with no limit? (i.e. a Sack Cloth Shirt with Water Walking and Resist Normal Weapons) 22.214.171.124 19:13, 30 March 2011 (UTC)
 A Moot point
This is found in the notes section of the article. "NPCs will not wear the item if it is stolen. However this is a moot point given that, as mentioned above, when a stolen item is first enchanted it loses its stolen status." So why is that even there if it is a moot point? Is anyone in objection to it being removed? --Zefiewings 19:52, 30 March 2011 (UTC)
 Does Enchanting with a certain skill raise that skill?
Say i enchant a sword with soul trap. if i use that sword, will my mysticism skill raise? If so, is there any way to cancel the effect?
- No. Using a sword raises your blade skill. --Brf 22:25, 31 March 2011 (UTC)
 Bad example
"A silence enchantment neutralizes spellcasting mages (such as Kalthar) -- any size soul gem results in the same permanent silence effect." Kalthar is a misleading example here. You have no normal access to enchanting altars when he's alive, only after you killed him and sigil stones do not allow you to make cursed enchantments. — Unsigned comment by 126.96.36.199 (talk) at 01:49 on 2 May 2011
- If you have the Frostcrag Spire plug-in then you can use the enchanting altar there without needing access to the Arcane University. --S'drassa •You have words? 01:18, 2 May 2011 (UTC)
- Still, not every player has the plug-in. If a better example can be found, Kalthar should definitely be replaced. Legoless 02:13, 2 May 2011 (UTC)
- Kalthar uses an Iron dagger in addition to spells, putting him in the same broad category as any generic Necromancer or Conjurer, meaning we could just replace his link with one of these respawning enemies. The link to Kalthar itself is bad to begin with, it goes to the Leyawiin Recommendation page instead of the Kalthar's actual page. There should be some example for new players, how about Gravefinder? If you can find a more fitting NPC, you can change it. - Neural Tempest 05:18, 2 May 2011 (UTC)
 Magical items are deleted
Creating Magical İtems are deleting when I exit the game . Any solution ?
 Fortified Skill Weapons
So i want to fortify my Daedric Longsword with the Blade skill but its not working. It says "Fortify Blade 3 pts for 1 sec on Strike"... I dont want to give my enemies a skill boost i want to give me a skill boost! Please Help.— Unsigned comment by 188.8.131.52 (talk) at 10:57 on 7 September 2011 (UTC)
- you cant have fortify on yourself on strike, try using a drain enchantment (From Fear to Eternity- Eddie The Head 10:57, 7 September 2011 (UTC))
- Like Eddie the head said, enchantments on a weapon affect the unfortunate victim hit by your weapon, not yourself. You must enchant apparel in order for it to have an effect on you. Try enchanting some clothes with a fortify blade effect. Talk Wolok gro-Barok Contributions 21:41, 7 September 2011 (UTC)
 Is it Possible to Make This Without Mods?
A recipe for a munchkin dagger I got from TVTropes. I want to know if it's possible to make it on the 360.
"The Healthdrainer: drain health 100 for 2-3 seconds (doesn't really matter). Weakness to magic 100 for 6 seconds. Soul Trap.
The Healthdrainer (dagger) hits about twice a second (daggers are the fastest melee weapon). So the first hit, they lose 100 health. The next (due to weakness to magic) 200, the next: 400, then 800, then 1600, then 3200 (then, if you want 6400, then if you are sadistic 12800). Then the soul can be used, with Azura's star, to recharge the weapon. And now you can kill Mehrunes Dagon (only 10000 health). That's not supposed to be possible."
Can somebody please test it? 184.108.40.206 03:25, 7 October 2011 (UTC)
- you cant kill mehrunes dagon without the console, and a dagger does not have the capaticity for that sort of enchantement (I plead LazynessEddie The Head 06:35, 7 October 2011 (UTC))
- I dunno, man, I just made a silver dagger with Drain Health 100 pts for 2 secs and Weakness to Magic 100% for 2 secs just now, at the Chironasium (Couldn't afford Weakness for 6 or Soul Trap for 1, but it might only be because my Willpower's damaged). It's a near thing, but 'Tropes says Dagon's only immortal because of numbers (he regenerates really, really quickly or something), and supposedly a proper Healthdrainer can get past it. When and if my mage character ever gets to the climax of the story, I'll try it on him then. 220.127.116.11 00:37, 10 October 2011 (UTC)
- Daedric Dagger, Weakness 100% for 6 sec, Drain Health 50 pts for 2 sec, Uses: 20 (Black Soul Gem). I'll post again when I've tried it (you never know). 18.104.22.168 17:13, 24 November 2011 (UTC)
 Minor edit
Since I'm just a lurker here I thought I'd ask a regular to make the change. The Enchanting Using Sigel Stones section says "Getting to them requires going through Oblivion Gates and - unless you are very good at stealth - a good deal of combat on the other side." I do gate runs at level 30, literally. My acrobatics and athletics are so high that I spam run and jump from the start of the realm to the Sigal Stone and nothing can keep up with me. I even stop and loot any Pods and Punisheds I find along the way. It's a decent tactic, I thought it would be worth mentioning. 22.214.171.124 09:25, 21 December 2011 (UTC)
- You can add that yourself if you want to, just add it and if there are any mistakes I'll look over them.RIM 10:19, 21 December 2011 (UTC)
 Cursed enchantments
I'm a bit confused by the example for the cursed enchantments using Silence to mute enemy spellcasters. Since the zero-weight items are another bullet point, it is somehow possible to use Silence on a non-zero weight item? Then how do I give it to the spellcaster who is probably already casting at me?