Oblivion talk:Liberation or Apprehension?
 "Starting", "Doing", and "Ending"
We're trying to keep to a standard for (amongst other things) all quest pages. There's not really any need to have the quest broken down into "Starting", "Doing", and "Ending". Also, the crumb trail link at the top of each quest is our standard way of providing links to related quests generally. Endareth 01:12, 6 April 2006 (EDT)
- That's fixed for the entire Mage Quest line now... Finally... Ratwar 01:15, 8 August 2006 (EDT)
 Deleted text
I'm moving this text from the main page:
- 1.Though traven tells you to go quickly, there's no need to. Nothing will really change if you go within an hour or two months to the dungeon.
- This is true of every quest in the game except maybe two... I don't see why it has to be highlighted here
- 2.Before the place where Mucianus is there are two Varla Stones "encaged". There doesn't seem to be any way to take them.
- The Varla Stones can be taken, you just need to trigger the activation switches. It's been a while since I did this quest, so I can't remember exactly where the switches were in this ruin, but I'm sure I found them. Also, details on the varla stones are probably more appropriate on the Oblivion:Nenyond Twyll page.
- --Nephele 11:58, 16 September 2006 (EDT)
- The switches are just under water, on either side of the varla cage platform. They're the usual switches; swim around, and you're bound to spot them.
- --"Buddy Pharaoh" 16:41, 3 December 2006 (EDT)
It seems there's a third way to keep Fithragaer alive. I attacked him before the dialogue was initiated, then yielded to him. Afterwards, I could take care of the Lich without Fithragaer running amok; the dialogue was not triggered until I activated him. However, it's possible that a high disposition is required to stop him from attacking.
 Mariette Rielle
Note: You can yield to Mariette, and even have her chase you outside if you wish. Near as I can tell there are no quest updates if you kill her. It seems to me she stays wherever she was standing when you yield to her. — Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) on 16 September 2008
- Yup. The only thing that refers to her is her dialogue; she doesn't have any effect on the quest. –Rpeh•T•C•E• 01:06, 17 September 2008 (EDT)
 Trap activating
"If Fithragaer dies at the trap near the entrance, and his body is left on it, the trap will keep activating until his corpse is removed. But when you return from the Second floor the trap will have stopped automatically activating."
Actually, the trap keeps activating when I return from the second zone, so this is not true at least in some cases. --IronMaiden 17:25, 20 April 2010 (UTC)
- I think the first part of the note is obvious and the second part irrelevant and, what I hear from you, untrue, so on the whole, I don't think having that note is useful. I'll delete it. Talk Wolok gro-Barok Contributions 19:16, 20 April 2010 (UTC)
 No promotion
I did not get a promotion to warlock at this level, but did not realise it until after the necromancer artifact collection quests (the pendant and helm). Future promotions incremented my rank, but I am always remaining one behind. Talking to the promoter NPC does not give my my advancement, either before or after starting the next quest in the series. Using COBL and Unofficial Oblivion Patch(es). I plan to up my rank by a console command to compensate.
 Moved note
- You can easily defeat Mariette by hitting her and yielding before she retaliates. She will accept, dismissing any undead that she has summoned, and you can then hit her again. She will continue to accept yields until you kill her.
Is this one worth it ? JackTurbo95 09:03, 15 April 2011 (UTC)
 Bug with Fithragaer (early Paralysis) and another Note
If you have a spell (or staff) that lets you use Paralysis and you hit Fithragaer BEFORE he initiates conversation with you, you can actually progress through the level without him following. The only problem is, the quest marker will continue to be on him and moving all the way to where Mucianus Allias is and killing him will not actually result in getting a quest update, even if you search him. The only way around this is to find Fithragaer and let him die, then you have to go all the way back to Mucianus and check his body to get the update to return to the Arch-mage.
HOWEVER, to add on ways that you can actually allow Fithragaer to survive, if you talk to him and then immediately hit him with a Paralysis spell, he will constantly flee from you when he comes out of it. Though if you're away from him (on the other side of the trap or just in the big room away from him) he will not dare come down after you. You can proceed through the ruins as you like, meet up with Mucianus and get that update. When you return to the start he is still fleeing but it's possible to leave the ruins without him endangering himself. The only PROBLEM with this method is that once you travel to the Arcane Facility, your journal will be updated telling you that he has died (for some unknown reason). So overall...just noting my messing arounds on the game, not recommended one way or another for this quest to try any of this. THOUGH YOU CAN STILL COMPLETE THE QUEST! I decided to go ahead and do it, thought he Journal entries are out of order from what they should be Stage Wise, the quest completed fine and I ranked up to Warlock. TVthePunisher 00:35, 26 August 2011 (UTC)
Extra note: You don't have to kill anyone for this quest at all, all you have to do is talk to Fithragaer and let him die if you wish, then just make your way to Mucianus for the quest update. Of course...it's easiest to do this with 100% Chameleon. But yeah, no deaths of Necromancers or undead is required. TVthePunisher 00:35, 26 August 2011 (UTC)