Oblivion talk:The Forlorn Watchman (quest)
I can't Complete this quest. The remains of the wraiths on the ship melted through the floor boards. I found this out as i was looking for the key and could find nothing then i went and was just staring at the remains of the ghost on the mid-deck and it sunk into the floor. :(
- I had the same problem. To get the key, open the console with the button next to your number 1 key on the left and type this in the console : "player.additem 000366BC 1". Without the quotes.
Any suggestions for 360 players? I also lost the key to the final room.
...Unfortunately nothing more than "reload a previous save"... it's sad but I can't see any other solution. Man, sometimes I wonder how you 360 players do it, not being able to use the console and all :) (But I suppose the game is nice anyway, eh? ^^) Lovykar 00:11, 16 February 2007 (EST).
need help for forlone watch and castle of kvatch
i left these quests for a lil bit and basically theyre impossible now
the forlone ghost has only wraiths on the ship and kill me in like 2-3 hits and theres like 20 of em
the castle of kvatch is completely overrun, i havent tried invisibility but im thinkin about it because i will never beat the 2 huge ice creatures 2 scamps 3 fire things and 4 of those things that ram you
im level 14 and i dont think to shabby of a player, i dont think im victim of the leveling problem (although they never shoulda made such a great but time consuming game have a problem like that)im a blood mage / born with attribute +50 magika) my main spells are summon ghost fireblast/ice blast 15% protection
i love the game but am dissapointed that after all this time its still so hard to do just about anything... any advice is welcome
Hi, I can say this - if you find the game to be too hard on you, try lowering the difficulty in the "Gameplay" options box in the menu. Since it's a single-player game, and more importantly YOUR single-player game, you can basically do whatever you want with it (who's gonna complain? :) ) and nobody will hate you if you lower the difficulty a little, I promise. I had the same problem namely, and found that setting the slider just a bit to the left made a huge difference on gameplay - there seems to be certain "levels" of difficulty, and if you put it just a bit below center it's gonna register as the lower level and scale things accordingly, hence the game will be easier. If you still have problems (and hey, if you don't as well but want a better experience overall) I'd suggest trying out Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, a mod/plugin that basically changes the whole game system to be more akin to Morrowind, where the enemies were not leveled to you but instead had their own intrinsic ones, meaning a monster would be easier and easier to beat as you scaled in level but it didn't. It's a bit tricky to install, but well worth it (make sure to read the installation instructions carefully!) even if you have to start a new game. Ah well, long going-on about this, but it is a problem not just for you but for a lot of Oblivion players, which is sad given how good the game has the potential to be, but not always lives up to (leveling system... ahem) . Ok, hope this helped, if you've questions feel free to email me or post here again. Happy Chinese New Year! :) Lovykar 00:07, 16 February 2007 (EST)
Hi I had the same problem with the level thing I was a Nord I think and I was leveling up very quickly but it seemed my stats weren't going up either so i started all over againh and now i'm a wood elf and i haven't got a problem it could just be a glitch. Oh and I'm having trouble with the Forlorn Watchman, I followed him to the castle and he told me to realese him or something then went back to bravil and that I went inside the boat killed all the Ghosts and found the door that is locked I now know that you need a key and that it is round the ghosts neck but the thing is, is the body or cloaks of the ghosts have vanished so I dont no where the key is. Can any one help?
Oh and can any one tell me how to improve my skills in summoning creatures please (TR)
The post wasn't dated, so the posters may not even be playing the game anymore, but if they are ... First, this is for the last poster ... I'm not sure exactly what's going on with the disappearing bodies of the ghosts/wraiths, but I can give you some advice on summoning (that I learned from this site pretty much): buy a Bound Dagger spell--I think it can be bought from the Mystic Emporium in the Imperial City--and just keep casting it as you walk around. This will raise your Conjuration skill quickly. The one danger is if CONJ is one of your major skills, b/c then raising it quickly may cause you to level up too fast. However, if it's a minor skill, then just keep casting that bound dagger spell. Also, be on the lookout for powerful Conjuration scrolls that will allow you to summon creatures that normally would be beyond your Conjuration skill's ability to summon, such as a Daedroth, for example. These scrolls can be very helpful on lower levels. And, if you don't mind exploiting the duplication glitch, these scrolls can be VERY helpful for as long as you play the game.
And for the OP, this website also had good advice on how to make some fights go easier--try to work on your Illusion skill, specifically the ability to Command Creatures and Humanoids. You can even put a high-level Command spell on a bow at the Altar of Enchanting. You'd be surprised how less stressful a combat with multiple tough enemies can be when you can Command them to tear each other apart before you even fight any of them. (The Command Bow has been particularly useful for me, as you can make it Level 25--the most powerful Command spell). Another benefit of the Command Bow is that an enemy that's hit with it will usually forget they saw you once the Command wears off, and you can hit them again, sometimes with a triple damage sneak bonus. Anyway, you may not even read this, but I thought I'd put it out there anyway in case it might help.126.96.36.199 23:02, 12 April 2009 (EDT)WB
- No, but close. She says her father was lost at sea, and the information is already on the Forlorn Watchman's page and Oblivion:Angelie's page. –Rpeh•T•C•E• 01:02, 8 July 2008 (EDT)
Mouth of the Panther
OK, why was that clue so cryptic?
I looked at the map, saw the Panther river, and since river outlets are referred to as "mouths", seemed pretty straight forward.
Since the ghost didn't have trouble communicating one wonders why it just didn't say where it was...
- Maybe it's because the ghost is part of a videogame, and you're supposed to figure it out yourself? Krusty 09:26, 17 June 2009 (EDT)
I found how to get key from the wrait that sunk down. Just look down until it says search. I believe its the last one before the door.188.8.131.52 22:46, 19 June 2009 (EDT)
- Once again, doesn't work for 360 players. Can't find it anywhere. Reloading isn't working either, his remains don't even sink through the floor, they just... poof. Into thin air. Which leaves me stuck and frustrated. I've always really wanted to play this game but never had the time. Now I'm on vacation, have only been playing for 3 days and am only level 7, and I get stuck. Urrgh! If anyone knows how to fix this, please drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org — Unsigned comment by 184.108.40.206 (talk) at 00:14 on 5 July 2009
- FOR PLAYERS WITH 360 AND PS3... HOW TO SOLVE THE DISAPPEARING WRATH:
- It won't work if you don't have an invisibility spell, but if you do as soon as you enter the lowest deck of the Emma May cast your invisibility spell. Don't attack the wrath just yet, if you wait he will open the door that is locked. Walk into the last room and an entry will pop up telling you you found the skeleton of the forlorn watchman. Now kill the wrath and the glitch should fix its self and its remains shouldn't disappear, but if they still do no matter the door is already open :] Hope that can help! -- Ktizzle — Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) at 10:19 on 26 May 2010
Watchman wont talk?
I have not played Oblivion in over a year but I bought it recently and I decided to finish up the quests that were still active. Im on the part where you have to follow him and I did but no matter how long I stand there he wont talk to me, Im not really sure what to do now, any advice? Bot — Unsigned comment by 18.104.22.168 (talk) on 6 September
Moved from article
- One good tactic can also lead to a problem which won't allow for the completion of the quest. By fleeing the ship each time a wraith is engaged, it allows one to fight outside where there is more room to maneuver (avoid being hit) and take them on one at a time. However (on XBox 360 version), if Gable the Traitor is killed in this fashion, his remains (outside the ship) may be merely listed as a Gloom Wraith, and there is no key; hence one cannot complete the quest.
I once had a similar sounding problem. I believe this is caused by the fact that you kill Gable exactly above an already dead regular wraith. When they both lie dead on the ground, the regular wraith is apparently deemed more important than Gable, and so you will see wraith when highlighted. You have to manoeuvre around it a bit to get Gable highlighted. The location where this happens does not matter. Talk Wolok gro-Barok Contributions 10:38, 24 December 2009 (UTC)
- Look harder. At 8pm he should start his trek from Bawnwatch Camp to Fort Irony. If you still can't find him, it is possible he got killed, although since he's part of the Creature faction, a bandit or such must be responsible for it. --SerCenKing Talk 10:19, 7 March 2010 (UTC)
Um. I can't find the main wraith. I go into every single room and nothing...?
Can't find Gable the Traitor...
So, my first time doing this quest, I couldn't beat Gable and ran out of potions so I ran. He followed me out of the ship, but I was too fast, so from what I saw, he didn't go past the ship. When I went back to the quest, Gable is no longer in or near the ship. So, I can't get the key. Is there anyway to find him or did I completely screw myself?
- Be careful if you try to find the treasure in the dark. Once you find it, the quest is marked as completed and you will lose the map marker. If you hover on the surface of the water and bob up and down a bit you will be able to see most of the bottom of the river. Or you can place your own map marker on the map in the same spot so it won't go away before you find the treasure. Alternatively, you can try turning off all grass (set "Grass Distance" all the way to the left in Video Options in the menu) and you should be able to see it more clearly. The chest is located in the middle of four medium-sized rocks, about in the middle of the river bottom.
- The names of the captain and the chief mutineer, Laughton and Gable, are possibly references to Charles Laughton and Clark Gable, who were the two main actors of the 1935 film Mutiny on the Bounty and played the captain and the mutineer, respectively.
should be added
i just realised that the reward for the quest is set when you start it not when you free the guy so instead of 2000 gold i got 60 and a crappy warhamer someone should add this — Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk) at 20:19 on 22 October 2011 (UTC)
- I read about this problem a while back, and it annoys me as well. I'd show you my source, but for the life of me, I can't find it. However, this article has been marked for cleanup. As soon as someone takes up the task, I'm sure this will be explained or made note of. --AKB Talk Cont Mail 20:19, 22 October 2011 (UTC)
- Happened to me. I started the quest really early, but finished the quest at level 26, and the rewards were crap. Perhaps i visited the cell while lower level?
To be perfectly honest, I'm not even sure why I added that cleanup-tag back then. I'll try and play through the quest tomorrow and see if there's anything seriously wrong with it (with the exception of the key, which unlocks the chains as far as I remember). Anyway, I'll clean it up myself tomorrow. --Krusty 23:55, 22 October 2011 (UTC)
- I think some cleanup might have happened after you added the tag, but I can't see why it should remain. I just did a quick CS check and everything seems to be correct. An in-game check is always good, though. rpeh •T•C•E• 00:00, 23 October 2011 (UTC)
The Forlorne Watchmen,(emma may)
When you enter the emma may at the mouth of the panther and begin to fight the ghost, kill them all. when you proceed to the bottem, the leader will appear and you must fight him the obtain the key. but if you attack him whle forceng him backwards towards the door, once he is defeated his remains will fall behind the door, making it impossble to obtain the final peice needed to complete you quest. — Unsigned comment by 126.96.36.199 (talk) at 01:08 on 22 November 2012