The UESPWiki – Your source for The Elder Scrolls since 1995
|This article could benefit from an image.
See Help:Images for information on how to upload images. Please remove this template from the page when finished.
|Recover a dwarven gear from an ancient fortress
||J'ffer at J'ffer's Books
||Far southwest on main island.
||Saving Hayle's Soul
||Book of Dwarven lore
 Quick Walkthrough
- Buy the book of Dwarven Lore from the bookstore owner J'ffer.
- Head over to the Dwarven Ruins in the far Southwest on the main island (you should see two large yellow guardians when you enter).
- Go to the main door near the funny yellow gadget and use the book to decipher the runes to open the door.
- In the main room, avoid the brown buttons in the floor and climb up to the tunnel high up in the north.
- Move onwards to the large Room C with the water fountain. There are three doors on the bottom level. Step on the pad in front of the guardians to open the ones on the west (don't get hit by sword).
- Enter the northwest door first. Jump and swing your way over to lever in west to open the door south of you.
- Now return to Room C and enter the southwest door. Swing your way over to the door you just opened.
- Head north and make your way to the large Room I and then further onto J in the north.
- The bridge will collapse as you approach it. Get into the machine heading east and fire the arrow. Jump down onto the pipe to reach the other side.
- Continue on north to Room M with the giant beetle. The goal here is to transform the device such that it grabs onto the northern chain to open the door at the top of Room L. For the complete solution see Point M below in the detailed walkthrough.
- Enter the now open door in Room L to exit to the top of those tall bridges. See the Dwarven Steam Pipes page for a walkthrough on what to do when you exit.
- You return to Room L after solving the steam pipe puzzle outside. When you return all those little round, golden balls lying around will turn into robots once you approach. Make your way to the Room I.
- Jump across the now open round things to the door in the southeast of the room.
- Go out the door in Room N and turn the wheel to open the door in Room C.
- Continue to Room C and enter the door you just opened.
- You now must face the great Dwarven robot. Kill him, get the Dwarven gear from the wreckage, and exit. For hints on how to defeat him, see Point O in the detailed walkthrough.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 Before the Ruins
- You must do a few things before you enter the ruins. First, if you've already visited the ruins you'll know that you'll need to decipher some Dwarven runes to enter the door. Perhaps the bookstore owner J'ffer has a book to help out with that. Buy the book of Dwarven Lore for around 58 gold pieces. The entrance to the ruins is in the far southwest of the map. You'll need to follow the gray-brick road from the south up and around the mountain to reach it. There are a few guards along the way that will most likely attack you. The entrance to the ruins area is marked by two tall, golden guardians. Kill the few guards among the ruins and proceed to the lower level, near the strange yellow machine. Use the Dwarven book on the door to open it.
 Point A
- You enter the ruins here and find a jumble of equipment and fallen rock, as well as two dead guards. Don't step on the brown buttons in the floor as you'll get zapped. Climb up the various stones in the northwest corner to reach the tunnel high in the north. Watch for the lava pit inside the tunnel.
 Point B
- There is a potion and some gold in the west on the lower level of this room. Climb onto the overturned cart to reach the track above you and jump across the gap. There is another potion and some gold at the top.
 Point C
- This is a large room with lots going on in it, including two guards. First, get the four gold pouches and four potions in the southeast side of the room among the ruins. There are four doors/exits in the room. The large door in the east is opened later on and the exit high up in the northeast cannot be reached from here. The two doors in the west cannot be opened by any visible means. Instead, pay attention to the brown discs in front of each of the golden guardians beside the doors. Standing on the disc will raise the statue's sword arm up and eventually cause it to fall, opening the door. Be careful not to be directly underneath the sword when it falls, of course. The door is only open for a few seconds before it closes again. Enter the northwest door first.
 Point D
- Another large open area requiring a good dexterity to get around. Jump across the first gap and get the gold on the other side. Cross over using the pipes. Jump on the two ropes and make your way over to the pipe in the west wall. Pull the lever there to open the door south of you. Return the way you came. The jump from the pipe to the rope is tricky but possible (mostly because your view is cramped).
 Point C again
- Open the southwest door in this room.
 Point D again
- Jump across using the ropes again to reach the door you just opened.
 Point E
- You'll find some gold and potions in this room as well as hole in the roof. Maneuver underneath the hole, facing north, and jump to get up. There are two guards in the area above you.
 Point F
- You find some sort of machine here as well as a ledge around them leading to a small tunnel heading south. The door on the west side of the tunnel opens as you approach, releasing a small robot which attacks you. Get the potions in the door where the robot came from.
 Point G
- Drop off the cliff to a small ledge below you. Turn to the south and use the small ledge to shimmy along to the other side. A LOT of people have real problems after shimmying across -- you have to make a blind forward standing jump to the other side, and then go up. (And because of the view angle, you can't see what you're doing, or where you're going.) It may be easier to drop down on that first ledge, move all the way to your right, turn slightly left and jump to that ledge to the left of the pipe.
 Point H
- Get the health potions in the bottom of this room and climb the rope to the top (one guard at the top level).
 Point I
- This a very large room with lots of machines and stones lying around. Get the health potions on each side of the main staircase as well as on the top-left of the side staircase. There is also a health potion amongst the large stones in the east and some potions and gold underneath the curved stairs. There is one guard in this area. Head to the passage in the north. Also, head west along the lava river for 2 gold sacks, a strength and two health potions.
 Point J
- Another large room with several strange, yellow machines. The bridge to the east collapses whenever you get near it, preventing you from taking the easy route. The lever in the southwest corner just loads an arrow onto the machine. You can enter any of the machines from behind to fire the arrow. The one of importance here is the machine facing the east. Fire this arrow in order to get to the other side of the collapsed bridge. Climb on the pipe and jump onto the arrow now stuck into the wall, and then the bridge.
 Point K
- There is one guard in this area and some potions in the east and south. Climb up the rope.
 Point L
- This room has some potions in the west on the lower level and east up top. The door up top cannot be opened here so continue into the lower door.
 Point M
- This room has a large mechanical beetle sitting in the middle of it. The spikes on either side of the door won't release if you step on the button between them...at least not yet. The red platforms around the room are merely elevators up to the walkway around the machine. Don't forget the few health potions at the North end of the room. There are also three chains hanging from the ceiling. The north chain opens the door at the top of Room L, but only when you hang off of it. The west and east chains activate the spike trap in front of the door (remember this). The button in front of the entrance serves to rotate the machine around. Your purpose here is to transform the beetle such that it hangs onto the north chain, thus keeping the door in Room L open. Don't be discouraged if you don't get it...this is a tough one which took me a while to figure out. Here's the steps you need to go through:
- Just a note that unless you are very careful/lucky, there are a few times you will fall and lose ten health...so keep a few potions ready (just in case you decide to solve the puzzle with 5 health say).
- Turn the device twice so it's right side up (head to the north) and jump on its green horns to reveal a head (view Before and After images).
- Turn the device upside down (view Image).
- Jump on its tail to reveal the legs (view Image).
- Turn the device over. Note that the now open legs prevent the device from completely turning over so now it stands right side up.
- Jump onto the two-green things extruding from its sides to reveal the right and left arms. The arms will grab onto the chains causing the spike trap to activate (view Before and After images).
- Turn the device on its back (the spike trap may activate now, so step off as soon as the thing starts turning). (view Image).
- Jump on the device's legs to close them (view Image).
- Turn the device over on its front. The arms should now fall forward and lock together (getting close!). (view Image)
- Turn the device over again and jump on its tail to reveal the legs...yet again (view Before and After images).
- Finally, turn the device so it's standing. It should now be holding the north chain, keeping the door at L open.
- There...that wasn't that hard was it? For an even more detailed walkthrough, see the Complete Beetle Walkthrough by Ranger.
 Point L again
- Return to this room and enter the now open door. You will exit on top of the tall bridges you may have seen, leading towards a steam production factory or something. See the Dwarven Steam Pipes page for a walkthrough of that area. You will return here once done. When you do return after restoring the steam power, all those little, golden spheres lying around will turn into robots when you get near them.
 Point I again
- Return to this large room. The devices in the middle of the room should now be functional. Use these to reach the door in the southeast corner of the room.
 Point N
- A small room with one of those robots in it as well as some gold and potions. Go through the east exit and turn the wheel there to open the big door in Room C. Don't forget the potion while out there.
 Point C third
- You are now back in this room again. Enter the big door which you just opened. Grab the few health potions along the wide hall along the way.
 Point O
Dwarven Ruins Map
- This is a very big room with a very big robot to match. In order to continue you'll have to defeat him. Also notice the various potions and gold around the bottom of the room. The robot can't seem to hit you while on top and you are faster than it when running. Run around until you get a good enough lead and drop to the bottom. The ledge around the room will protect you from the robot while you consider your options. In order to defeat him you have to hit the panel on his left heel 5-6 times with a normal sword (his Achilles heel of course). The easiest method may be to run behind him and draw your sword to start. As he turns around go between his legs and attack when you can. It takes a little while and it isn't the easiest, but very possible. Use the SHIFT key to run while holding your sword. As long as you stay close to his body you won't get hit. Once you kill him grab the Dwarven gear from the wreckage and exit through the now open door.