- Around Crucible you will overhear the topic that "Earil has a problem with Brithaur".
- Find Earil at Earil's Mysteries and speak with him about Brithaur.
- Find Brithaur and ask about his problem and what you can do to help.
- Either kill Brithaur and bring him the items he requests or find a way to get him arrested.
- If you decide to kill him, take his heart as evidence.
- Return to Earil for your reward.
Around Crucible you will overhear the citizens speaking about someone named Earil who is having a problem with another citizen named Brithaur. You will receive a quest update saying maybe you should find Earil and ask him about it. Earil can always be found in his store Earil's Mysteries, which doubles as his house. Speak with him and he explains that the shop owners in Crucible are constantly being robbed by a Bosmer named Brithaur. He wants you to make Brithaur stop stealing from the shops in Crucible and he doesn't care how you accomplish the task.
Motives and MadnessEdit
A quest update will tell you that maybe you should talk to Brithaur before making any hasty decisions. Find him either roaming the streets, sleeping in his house, at the Sacellum, or most often inside a closed shop stealing (although he will likely leave the shop the instant you enter). Talk to Brithaur, he will tell you that he wants to complete his collection and he can't stop stealing until he does. However, all he needs are flawless pearls, and that if you bring him five of them, he will then leave the shops alone.
At this point you now have three options. You can kill him, bring him the five flawless pearls, or if you are far enough along in the Main Quest, have Brithaur 'thrown into the dungeon'.
If you decide to take pity on Brithaur and help him out, flawless pearls can be found in a variety of locations. Most often Baliwogs can be found carrying them in the swamps of Dementia. A few can be found on some of the awnings in Bliss and the famed rooftops of Crucible, or purchased from occasional shop owners.
If you have completed the ritual of Dementia or the main quest if you are the duke of mania, you can speak with Kithlan in the House of Dementia about Brithaur causing troubles in town. He will tell you that he had regarded Brithaur's exploits as harmless up until now but that if they are becoming a problem, "it will be handled". Presumably this option was supposed to have Brithaur thrown into jail or tortured by Herdir, but in fact nothing occurs and Brithaur continues to wander around town unaffected, still committing his random acts of petty theft. Nevertheless, Earil will accept that you have handled the problem.
If you choose to kill him, do so by whichever means favored. He can be found sleeping at his house very late at night and sitting in the Sacellum occasionally, assuming he is not stealing. Once he is dead take his heart to show Earil for proof.
Whatever you do, return to Earil, who is overjoyed and cannot wait to tell the other shop owners. He will give you a leveled amount of gold for your troubles. If you chose to kill Brithaur and you give Earil the heart, you will receive the "Bonus Reward" amount in the following table; in any other case, you will receive the "Standard Reward" amount.
|Level||Standard Reward||Bonus Reward|
|1 - 4||75 Gold||100 Gold|
|5 - 9||150 Gold||200 Gold|
|10 - 14||225 Gold||300 Gold|
|15 - 19||300 Gold||400 Gold|
|20 - 24||375 Gold||500 Gold|
|25+||450 Gold||600 Gold|
- It might be that you see Brithaur roaming the streets after you "got him thrown into the dungeon". You can speak with him about the flawless pearls and he'll say they would be "perfect".
- It appears that even after giving him the five pearls (if you chose to do so), Brithaur has not given up his life of crime. If you talk to him he will tell you how fortunate you are to have such a full purse, whereupon he will steal 1 gold from you.
- Not all Journal Entries may appear in your journal; which entries appear and which entries do not depends on the manner in which the quest is done.
- Stages are not always in order of progress. This is usually the case with quests that have multiple possible outcomes or quests where certain tasks may be done in random order.
- If an entry is marked as "Finishes Quest" it means the quest disappears from the Active Quest list, but you may still receive new entries for that quest.
- It is possible to use the console to advance through the quest by entering
setstage SE35 stage, where
stageis the number of the stage you wish to complete. It is not possible to un-complete (i.e. go back) quest stages. See SetStage for more information.