Shivering:Court of Madness
The Court of Madness is the faction you rise in as you progress through the Main Quest. It is the only main faction and represents the ruling body in the Shivering Isles. Its leader is, of course, Sheogorath the Madgod and Daedric Prince. Immediately below him are the Dukes of Mania and Dementia leading their sides respectively. The ruler of Mania has control over the Golden Saints and oversees the well-being of Mania. On the contrary, the leader of Dementia controls the Dark Seducers and is in charge of the health of Dementia.
The player is automatically made a member and given the lowest rank of 'Tourist' when they accept the invitation/challenge from Haskill and enter the Shivering Isles for the first time.
You will gain access to all the powers, artifacts, spells, and privileges listed below as you rise through the ranks in the Court of Madness. In addition, Xbox 360 players will collect an achievement for each new rank. Some of the privileges are obtained during the quest(s) done under the associated rank, but the majority are given as rewards for completion of the quest.
Since advancing in the main quest is the actual method of advancing through the faction, a particularly nice bonus touch is added to Sheogorath's Throne Room each time you complete another quest in the main storyline/faction. Each time one of the quests is finished, a unique and specific item relating to it is displayed like a relic in the throne room. Almost like a personal Museum of Oddities accounting for major decisions you've made. These are merely decoration, but serve as a nice reminder of the quests.
- Blessing of Mania or Blessing of Dementia
- A 'Replica Gatekeeper Head' is added to the Throne Room, along the Dementia (south) side.
- Summon Haskill
- A 'Focus Crystal' from Xedilian is placed in the Throne Room, along the Mania (north) side.
- Ruin's Edge
- A miniature replica of the House of Dementia execution cell, 'The Inquisitors Cage', is placed along the Dementia (south) side.
- The 'Chalice of Reversal' is placed along the Mania (north) side of the Throne Room.
- Raiment of Arden-Sul or Raiment of Intrigue
- Helmet of either Ulfri or Kaneh (depending on quest result) is placed on the side it represents.
Duke/Duchess of Mania/Dementia
- Diadem of Euphoria or Nerveshatter
- Ring of Lordship (Mania or Dementia)
- Summon Golden Saint (60 sec) or Summon Dark Seducer (60 sec)
- Either 'Syl's Heart' or 'Thadon's Blood' (depending on quest result) is placed on the side they represent.
- A 'Knight of Order Helmet' is placed along the Mania side, once The Fringe has been retaken.
The proceeding privileges are obtained in a separate quest from the first three.
- Summon Flesh Atronach (120 sec)
- Gatekeeper Gift (Multiple but alternating Greater Powers)
- A 'Replica Gatekeeper Weapon' is placed on the Dementia side, once the Gatekeeper has been rebuilt.
- Summon Golden Saint (120 sec) or Summon Dark Seducer (120 sec) (Now you can summon both types of guards)
- Golden Saint Armor or Dark Seducer Armor
- A Chime is added to the throne room
Defender of the Realm
- An unreadable book of prophecies is added to the throne room after finishing Symbols of Office.
- Diadem of Euphoria or Nerveshatter (Now you should have both items)
- Staff of Sheogorath
- Sword of Jyggalag
- Manipulate Weather (Greater Power)
- Sheogorath's Protection (Lesser Power)
- Sheogorath's Regalia
- Golden Saint and Dark Seducer escorts who can follow you at your request.
- Ability to save settlements from creature attacks for gold
- A private Court Dancer
- Access to a Court Healer, who will instantly heal you
|Rank||Completed quests or other requirements|
|Tourist||Entered The Shivering Isles for the first time|
|Aspirant||Speak with Sheogorath for the first time|
|Citizen||Finish the quest Baiting the Trap|
|Madman/Madwoman||Finish the quest Understanding Madness|
|Honored Madman/Honored Madwoman||Finish the quest The Cold Flame of Agnon|
|Duke or Duchess of Mania or
Duke or Duchess of Dementia
|After you perform either the Ritual of Mania or Dementia|
|Regent||Finish the quest Rebuilding the Gatekeeper|
|Defender of the Realm||Shortly after starting the quest Symbols of Office|
|Madgod||Finish the quest The Prince of Madness|