|Barbas (RefID: 00052535)|
|Primary Skills||Heavy Armor, One-handed, Archery, Block|
|Follower||A Daedra's Best Friend|
|Faction(s)||BarbasFaction; Faction for protected actors|
Barbas is a large gray hunting dog found along the road outside Falkreath. He is Clavicus Vile's companion, a supernatural creature that usually takes the form of a dog. Barbas cannot be harmed during the course of gameplay, except by the Rueful Axe. He may flee combat however, returning to the fight later.
Barbas can be a useful follower to have in a fight. His bite is strong enough to kill many weaker enemies in one strike, and he's an effective decoy against more powerful enemies. However, he can also prove particularly annoying. His barking, though it will apparently not alert enemies, is incessant, and often drowns out other sounds or voices. He will also bump into you - a lot. He maintains a very close proximity to you, and if you attempt to stop, he will almost certainly shove you, making many basic actions difficult (and cliff edges especially dangerous). He may box you into corners; he will normally move if you sprint into him, like other followers, but you may be forced to strike him in order to break free. You may also have problems with sneaking around Barbas - while he won't prevent you from getting sneak attack bonuses, he will cause the sneak icon to display the open-eye if he can see you, making it difficult to determine if you are being observed by anyone else. (In particular, this can be a problem if you're committing a crime, as you may get reported even if Barbas is the only witness.)
 Related Quests
- For more information on Barbas, see the lore article.
- You can go to Falkreath and accept the mission from the blacksmith then continue doing other quests; after a while, he will come find you on his own. Tell him you're busy and he'll go wait at the entrance to Haemar's Cavern.
- Barbas is not just unkillable: he is "Invulnerable", so he cannot be harmed at all and won't "kneel" like characters that are merely essential.
- Barbas may attack the summoned dremora from the Conjuration Ritual Spell quest.
- If you are sent to Haemar's Shame on a radiant quest after finishing A Daedra's Best Friend, Barbas may still be in the final chamber and may help you fight the respawned vampires.
- Any Vigilants of Stendarr, who are pledged to battle all Daedric influence, may attack Barbas on sight.
- It is possible to have Barbas as a follower along with another creature follower.