|Primary Skills||Light Armor, Sneak, Archery, One-handed|
|Perks||Bladesman (rank 1); Dual Flurry (rank 1); Fighting Stance; Hack and Slash (rank 1); Savage Strike; Stealth (rank 5)|
|Faction(s)||CrimeFactionThievesGuild; FavorExcludedFaction; Riften Ragged Flagon Faction; Riften Thieves Guild Headquarters Faction; ThievesGuildFaction (Agent)|
Brynjolf is a Nord thief, and a member of the Thieves Guild in Riften. He is initially found at a market stall in the center of Riften selling mysterious red elixirs, although he will usually approach you and inform you that he knows you didn't make all of your money legally (or if you don't have much gold on you, will offer you a way to make some). He has a rivalry with fellow merchant Madesi, who doubts Brynjolf's potions are real. Brynjolf will task you with stealing Madesi's ring as an initiation for joining the Thieves Guild. Once you join the Guild, he will move to the guild hall in Riften's Ratway.
 Related Quests
- A Cornered Rat: Locate Esbern.
- A Chance Arrangement: Help teach a merchant to mind his own business.
- Taking Care of Business: Help Brynjolf collect some debts for the Thieves Guild.
- Loud and Clear: Send a message to a former Thieves Guild client.
- Dampened Spirits: Put Maven Black-Briar's competition out of business.
- The Pursuit: Break into Mercer Frey's house and search for clues.
- Trinity Restored: Become one of the Nightingales, Nocturnal's guardians.
- Blindsighted: Stop Mercer Frey.
- Under New Management: Become the Guildmaster of the Thieves Guild.
 Combat Dialogue
|Detecting an enemy||"Come out and face me, you coward!"||"I can smell your fear."|
|Spotting an enemy||"Finally! Let's end this."||"There you are!"|
|Taunting an enemy||"My blade thirsts for your blood!"||"Come on. Show me you've got what it takes!"|
|"You just made the last mistake of your life!"|
|Losing sight of an enemy||"Oh come now, resorting to petty tricks are we?"|
|Defeating an enemy||"I think they got the message."||"Damn, just as I was getting warmed up."|
|"I hardly felt a thing."||"And that's why I'm the best."|
|"That's what happens when you cross the Guild."|
- Prior to beginning any Thieves Guild missions, Brynjolf is totally invincible when outside in Riften. In fact, the game treats him as a ghost. He takes no damage, regardless of the source, and cannot be staggered or knocked back. Nevertheless, attacking him will cause him to become hostile.
- He is voiced by Robin Atkin Downes.
- There is a rumor that he is having an affair with Tonilia.
- Upon completing the Thieves Guild questline, Brynjolf will constantly repeat the same line of dialogue, and will no longer be open for interaction.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.0 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.