|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Radiant Options
This is a radiant quest which you can receive from any of the following people.
If you talk to one of the quest givers, they will offer to pay you for chopped firewood. You can also choose to chop firewood without first talking to a quest giver, and then sell the firewood later. You are paid 5 gold per unit of firewood.
To chop wood you must have a Woodcutter's Axe in your inventory (usually you can pick one up near the wood pile). Activating a woodcutting block will then cause you to produce Firewood at a rate of 2 units each 3 seconds, with a limit of 6 units per activation. After you have produced 6 units, you must activate the block again or leave the woodcutting session.
It is also possible to have a follower chop firewood for you. This can be advantageous as the camera doesn't go into free roam mode while the wood is being chopped (which happens when it's done by you). By having someone else do the chopping, you can keep your view focused on the wood pile and activate it every 35 seconds to keep more wood coming. If a second woodcutting block is near by, you can even chop wood simultaneously to double production while only adding an extra couple of seconds to the equation.
An Achievement is related to chopping wood:
- Hard Worker (10 points/Bronze) — Chop wood, mine ore, and cook food
- To obtain this achievement you do not need to sell the firewood, or even talk to any of the quest givers. Simply activating the woodcutting block is sufficient.
- With the Hearthfire DLC, Doing this quest for Aeri, Gilfre, Grosta, Hert, or Hod will increase their disposition such that you'll be able to cut your own lumber.
- The potential quest givers are identified based on membership in the FavorJobsChopWoodFaction faction.
- There may be no limit to the amount of firewood that you can chop at any one woodcutting block, and then sell. One simple—if painfully slow—way to get the money to purchase a house is to chop the required amount of wood. For the house in Whiterun for example, you will get 5000 gold if you accumulate 1000 pieces of firewood. This takes approximately 24 hours of game time when the time scale is set around 10, or 25 minutes in real time.
- At the standard time scale it is possible to chop 150 pieces of firewood in 15 real-time minutes, which is a pay rate of 3000 gold per real-time hour.
- Money you get from chopping wood is fixed and is not affected by your Speech skill.
- This can be important to remember, as it is one of the few ways to earn money without increasing any skills, which will help control your character's level. This is useful when wanting to train in a certain skill as many times as possible. It is also helpful when wanting to avoid over-leveling--that is, leveling your character with non-combat skills which will ultimately make you weaker than the enemies who level with you.