|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Obtain the scrolls from J'zargo, which cast a modified version of Flame Cloak.
- Travel to any location populated by the undead (such as draugr) and use the scrolls to kill at least three undead enemies.
- Return to J'zargo with your results (you will retain any unused scrolls).
 Detailed Walkthrough
Simply use J'zargo's scrolls near undead enemies; you should have no trouble finding them in any barrow, ruin, or tomb. The scrolls will surround you with a modified flame cloak which will damage any enemy in close proximity to you.
J'zargo's cloak causes a massive explosion whenever it comes into contact with undead. Clearly, this makes the scrolls as harmful to yourself and your allies as to the undead. Damage seems to be around 100-110 hp, so players with low health caps or reserves might be killed instantly. Also be wary of using this spell when dealing with multiple undead enemies, as multiple explosions can quickly kill even the hardiest of characters.
Another of J'zargo's oversights, is that the cloak burns friendlies, too. Ask your follower to stay behind when you test the scrolls, otherwise your follower will become hostile to you or simply walk away—in the latter case, talking to him or her can restore your normal relationship.
Make sure you use the scrolls to kill only undead enemies. A quest marker will appear with each undead killed while under the effects of J'zargo's Flame Cloak. Undead do not need to be killed by the scrolls' damage; dying of other weapon or spell damage while under the effects of the scroll will satisfy the quest conditions. However, undead that are killed indirectly by the explosions of other undead do not count. If you use up all ten scrolls without killing three undead enemies, the quest will be failed.
Undead enemies may be found in most crypts and ruins, including Bleak Falls Barrow, Saarthal, Whiterun's Hall of the Dead and Folgunthur. Undead may also be encountered in The Midden, allowing convenient completion of this quest without travel if the quest is accepted before venturing down there.
- Using the scrolls on your own reanimated dead will work, but only on Xbox 360 and PC. Attempting this on PS3 will not work.
- If you drop the scrolls, than speak to J'zargo, the quest will continue as if you used them all. [verification needed]
- If more than exactly three undead are killed by the scrolls' effects, which is very possible you are near more than one at a time, e.g. fighting two undead with the counter already at two, then stage 30 will not occur; J'zargo won't have the dialogue option and the quest will be unfinishable.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.0 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- You cannot speak to J'zargo if the quest The Staff of Magnus is active.
- Activating the scroll and then killing the draugr with ranged attacks does not work; it must be scroll damage for the quest to register the kill.
 Quest Stages
|This Skyrim-related article is a stub. You can help by .|