|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
If you steal an item, the victim of the theft may subsequently send a number (generally three) of hired thugs to hunt you down. They will casually approach you, but be ready because they will attack you upon contact. The thugs will be carrying a contract which reveals the name of the victim who hired the thugs.
- The item in question can either be stolen from a location, or pickpocketed, and you do not have to be seen; a hidden theft can still activate the contract.
- Almost every NPC in the game can send thugs after you.
- Other than stealing, killing someone may also cause a relative to send thugs after you (see Revenge, Hired Thugs).
- If you steal an item from someone and kill them straight afterwards, they can still hire thugs to come after you (e.g., a dead Forsworn Briarheart may take out a contract on you for pickpocketing his heart).
 Quest Stages
- All of the quest stages are empty: 0, 10, 200.