|This article is being developed as part of the Skyrim Houses Redesign Project. If you see this tag it means the article can still be improved. Please see the project page for guidelines.|
|# of Zones||2|
|Respawn Time||Never (storage is safe)|
|Ice Wraith, Draugr, Frostbite Spider, Skeleton, Velehk Sain, Augur of Dunlain|
|Console Location Code(s)|
|College of Winterhold|
|# of Alchemy Labs||1|
It can be accessed by a trapdoor in the northern corner of the courtyard, another trapdoor at the base of the stairwell in the Hall of Countenance, or through an easy-to-miss cave in the northern face of the rocky outcropping the College rests upon, the only way to access it without joining the College. The dungeon contains two sections, The Midden and The Midden Dark. Both sections contain a fair amount of alchemical ingredients scattered about.
 The Midden Dark
The Midden Dark contains a ritual chamber with a large black metal gauntlet on a pedestal. The symbol of Oblivion is emblazoned on the palm of the gauntlet. The Midden Incident Report can be found on the table here, along with the Investigator's Key. Following the clues in the report, the player can find the needed rings in the Arcanaeum, in a master-locked chest. The lock can be picked, or simply opened with the key. Returning the rings to the gauntlet will activate it, and the gauntlet will clench into a fist. Shortly afterwards the dremora Velehk Sain will be summoned.
There is a tunnel leading to an exit to Skyrim below the room with the bridge. Once through the exit, the player can reenter the dungeon or jump down a small cliff to a cave below. The cave exits near the shoreline underneath the college. It is possible to enter the Midden Dark through this cave with a combination of sprinting, jumping and persistence. This is useful for characters wishing to access this area and the Atronach Forge without having to enroll with the College.
 Related Quests
- Conjuration Ritual Spell: Find a Sigil Stone by summoning a daedra and learn more about Conjuration.
- Forgotten Names: Summon the Dremora pirate, Velehk Sain.
- Good Intentions: Find and consult the Augur of Dunlain.
- Illusion Ritual Spell: Find some books about Illusion magic to further your Illusion skills.
- Restoration Ritual Spell: Find the Augur of Dunlain and learn more about Restoration magic.
- The Alchemy skill book De Rerum Dirennis can be found on an alchemy table near the "skeleton room" in The Midden Dark.
- The three undead required for the quest J'zargo's Experiment can conveniently be found here (one in The Midden, two in The Midden Dark). It is advisable to get this quest before clearing the dungeon, or the player will have to travel elsewhere to find undead.
- During the Conjuration Ritual Spell quest, Phinis will give you the spell Summon Unbound Daedra and tell you to go get a Sigil Stone. This is the missing spherical object which sits in the forge.