Skyrim:Under New Management
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Attend ceremony.
- Receive Guild Master's Armor from Tonilia.
- Periodically search Guild Master chest for loot.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 Improving the Thieves Guild
In order to restore the Thieves Guild to its former glory and assume the title of Guild Master, you must perform small jobs across four holds of Skyrim: Haafingar, The Reach, Whiterun, and Eastmarch. To get an improvement job, talk to Delvin Mallory or Vex; you can have one quest from each concurrently active. Once you have completed five jobs in a particular hold (except The Rift, where the Guild already has influence), Delvin will offer you a special "reputation" job to increase the Thieves Guild's influence there. You may start taking these jobs at any time after officially joining the guild (completing Taking Care of Business). Completing all four reputation jobs is a prerequisite to becoming the Guild Master.
You are assigned targets at random, without regard to the number of jobs you've already taken in a particular hold. You can check your Quests log to review how many jobs you've completed per hold. You can accept and quit the jobs at will, which can be used to your advantage if you are assigned jobs in holds you have already completed, and if you wish to increase your efficiency by matching two jobs to the same hold. If one of Vex's jobs will take place in the same hold as Delvin's—e.g., a sweep job and a bedlam job both in Eastmarch—the value of the objects assigned to be stolen in Vex's jobs also applies to targets in Delvins's Bedlam jobs, and both can be completed together. This is an easy way to steal two birds with one... theft. However, there are fewer jobs offered in The Reach (Markarth) than in the other three holds, so it's best to take any job there that you can get. All failed jobs will be listed in the completed quests list.
For each such reputation job you complete, the Thieves Guild's headquarters is incrementally improved. Each successful completion adds a merchant to the Ragged Flagon, and completing the third and fourth jobs adds recruits to the guild. Completing these jobs also increases the gold available to all of your fences up to a maximum of 4,000. In addition, gradual cosmetic improvements occur in The Ragged Flagon - Cistern: A carpet will be placed in the center platform in the middle of the room, and banners of the Thieves Guild will be emblazoned on the walls. Also, when you are arrested in a hold over which the Thieves Guild has influence, you will be given an option to bribe guards even if you don't have the Bribery skill perk.
The four "reputation" quests, activated when the quota is reached for jobs in a given hold, are:
|Whiterun||Imitation Amnesty: Help get a convicted prisoner released from jail.|
|The Reach||Silver Lining: Recover a stolen silver mold for a silversmith.|
|Eastmarch||Summerset Shadows: Remove a rival guild from the picture.|
|Haafingar||The Dainty Sload: Frame a ship's captain to get revenge for a jilted merchant.|
Note: If the "One With the Shadows" achievement/trophy has not unlocked after completing four special jobs, you need to speak to Brynjolf to instigate Under New Management. However, if you had also been doing the main Thieves Guild quests and had reached the point of investigating Mercer Frey/Karliah, Brynjolf will not talk to you correctly. If this happens, complete the main quest line to the end, which will unlock the Darkness Returns ending and then Under New Management will follow on. You can then talk once more with Brynjolf. Tonilia will give you the Guild Leader Armor and then the achievement/trophy will unlock.
There is a short ceremony in the middle of the Guild Hall, and Brynjolf will hand you a Tribute Chest key which unlocks the chest near the Guild Master's desk. The Guild periodically places loot in here as a tribute to you, and you are free to take it. You receive the Amulet of Articulation, and are also told to see Tonilia about getting your Guild Master's Armor set. The Guild Master Armor set appears graphically similar to the set Mercer Frey wears, and is just a boosted version of your other Thieves Guild Armor.
One achievement is unlocked during this quest:
- If you complete the last two special jobs at the same time and then become guild master, you can turn in for both special jobs and have Delvin compliment you twice, saying you're the best thief in the place, despite his assertion that he'll only ever tell you once.
- The quest may not start even after completing all other completable Thieves quests
- To fix this go into the game commands and type setstage TGLeadership 10. It will start the quest for you, and then all you have to do is talk to Brynjolf.
- If you've sold all of your Thieves Guild Armor, you will not be able to get the Guild Leader Armor from Tonilia.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.4.15 of the Official Skyrim Patch.
- If you complete the main story arc before doing the side and improvement quests for Vex and Delvin, Brynjolf may not interact with the player and instead repeat that he is busy and that he will talk to you later. Consequently, becoming the Guildmaster will be rendered impossible. This may be a part of a bug where Karliah disappears and does not appear in either the Nightingale Hall or the Twilight Sepulcher. She does, however, return to the Snow Veil Sanctum where you first encounter her.
- A possible bug fix is to run outside when finishing your first interaction with Brynjolf. You need to run outside as quick as possible by going to the ladder and exiting. You should see the quest update pop up reading: "Started Under New Management". Afterward, go back inside and proceed to Brynjolf. To talk to Brynjolf, let him go to the middle of the Cistern first, and wait. He then should start talking to you, finishing the quest. If this does not resolve the issue, it may be worth it to try attacking them, paying the reparations, and trying again.
- Another possible fix is to get the quest about fixing debt from the guy at the Riften stables. The player will be told to talk to Sapphire. Instead, Sapphire should be sitting on the bridge just inside Riften and when approached will say "I don't have any business with you." or "We'll talk after the ceremony." Attack her 3 times, and this should cause her to start attacking the player notifying them that "Under New Management" has been completed and that the player should talk to Brynjolf. Upon entering The Ragged Flagon, the player will be required to pay 1000 gold to Vex as reparations for killing a fellow Thieves Guild member. After doing so, speak with Brynjolf and the questline should be completed.
- This can also be fixed by writing
setStage TGLeadership 0in the console. This will start the quest chain if you have already done the main quests mentioned above.
- In some cases even the command to set the stage may not work. When the command is typed, the game may not react. This means you have the first version of the game. Updating to v1.3 or above would enable you to use the commands properly.