Skyrim:Bolstering the Ranks
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Speak with Sorine Jurard.
- Speak with Isran.
- Travel to Ruunvald Excavation and rescue Florentius Baenius.
- Return to Isran.
 Detailed Walkthrough
Speak to Sorine Jurard who will recommend that the Dawnguard could use more help combating the vampire threat. She will ask you to speak to Isran and convince him to recruit a man named Florentius Baenius. After some coercing, Isran will agree and reveal Baenius' location, the Ruunvald excavation site.
Make your way to Ruunvald. Once there, clear the excavation site of all charmed vigilants and huskies. Further into the mine there are a few traps, the first being a tripwire and the second being three pressure plates that activate three different crossbow mounts (one on the roof and the other two on barrels at the back of the room). Ruunvald is also a malachite ore mine, so there are a few ore veins and there are also a few chests with random, leveled loot.
After clearing the first zone, enter Ruunvald Temple, a small area with more charmed vigilants and the warlock who charmed them, Minorne. After killing Minorne, loot her key and open the prison where Florentius Baenius is being held. Once the gate is opened and you've spoken to him the quest will end. The key also unlocks a door in the back of the temple that leads to a room with an alchemy lab, bed, and chest, as well as a lever that unlocks a stairway down to an alternate exit.
- Any charmed Vigilants that are still alive when Minorne dies will also die instantly.
- Florentius may sometimes turn hostile and attack you, thus not letting you initiate conversation with him.
- A possible fix is to load a previous save and wait outside the cave for 24 hours before going back in.
- Another fix is to stand above him after defeating him and spam the button used to initiate conversations. it may take a couple tries to land on the brief moment you can talk to him before he attacks again.
- The Dawnguard may try to kill you if you fail to rescue Florentius.
- If you have already completed Touching the Sky, talking to Isran will automatically trigger the start of Kindred Judgment. You will not be able to get information on Florentius.
 Quest Stages
|This Skyrim-related article is a stub. You can help by .|