|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
- Talk to Brelyna Maryon.
- Let her cast a spell on you.
- Wait a few in-game hours to let the effects wear off.
- Let Brelyna try again.
- Wait for her to finish.
Helping Out A Friend
Brelyna Maryon is a serious student at the College of Winterhold. After completing Under Saarthal, you can find her back at the College (likely in the Hall of Attainment). When you speak to her, she'll request your help: "We're all trying to become better mages, right? Well, I need someone I can practice a few spells on. Nothing dangerous, really. Would you be willing to assist me?". If you agree to help her for a price, she will offer an amulet in return. Apparently, she has developed a type of Alteration spell that she needs to cast onto someone else, and she will be relieved that she won't have to ask J'zargo for help.
Its Not Easy Being Green
When you are ready, Brelyna will instruct you: "Please hold still, and don't move." As the spell is cast, a tiny flaw becomes apparent: your vision is now green. Alarmingly, Brelyna will exclaim, "Oh dear. That wasn't supposed to happen." And then ask, "Do you... do you feel all right? You look very, umm, green." She will apologize profusely, assuring you that the green effect is temporary; it will fade after a few in-game hours.
After the effects of the first attempt fade, and if you are being a good sport about it all, return to Brelyna and she will ask you to help her again. She confidently asserts that she has everything worked out. You can also express your doubts about proceeding, but in the end, agree to her ministrations. She will cast several more spells which will turn you into a horse, a cow, and a dog.
With each mishap, Brelyna bolsters her resolve: "Oh my. That isn't right! Just wait. Just... I can fix this.", "Oh no, that's not it at all. Let me try again...", "This really isn't turning out the way I'd hoped.", and then, "I'll get it right this time, I swear." The final attempt you are returned to normal, "There, all better."
When all is set to right, Brelyna will reward you with a random, level-dependent Resist Magic necklace, and you both can agree to never speak of this again. Brelyna will also become a potential candidate for marriage, and can be asked to join you as a follower.
|Necklace of Resist Magic||8||Increases Magic Resistance by 10%.|
|Necklace of Waning Magic||16||Increases Magic Resistance by 12%.|
|Necklace of Dwindling Magic||24||Increases Magic Resistance by 15%.|
|Necklace of Magic Suppression||32||Increases Magic Resistance by 17%.|
|Necklace of Magic Abatement||40||Increases Magic Resistance by 20%.|
|Necklace of Nullification||48||Increases Magic Resistance by 22%.|
The level provided in the table is the minimum level that you must be to obtain that version of the necklace; however, even at higher levels it is still possible to receive the lowest-level necklace. Below level 8, you will not receive any necklace.
- If you are currently under any spell absorption effect, Brelyna's spells may not always work on you. If this happens, you will need to reload to prevent from getting permanently stuck with "Wait for Brelyna's Spell to wear off" stuck in your quest log and the quest never advancing.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2.1 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- If you are in third person view, or if the view between Brelyna and you are obstructed (thereby preventing you from being hit by the spell), then the quest will remain stuck on the "wait for Brelyna's spell to wear off" part of the quest.
- This bug is fixed by version 2.0.5 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- This issue can be fixed by entering
setstage MGRAppBrelyna01 30into the game console - this will force the quest to move to the next stage, where the spell has worn off.
- You may remain invisible after the last phase of the quest (needed for the simulation of being transformed into an animal).
- Use the Become Ethereal shout to fix it.
- This can be fixed by entering
player.setactoralpha 100into the console command.
|Brelyna's Practice (MGRAppBrelyna01)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
Objective 20: Wait for Brelyna's spell to wear off
Objective 30: Speak to Brelyna
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 10.