|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
 Detailed Walkthrough
 Tragedy at the College
As you regain consciousness after witnessing part of the battle between Ancano and the Arch-Mage Savos Aren, Mirabelle Ervine will be standing above you, telling you to get on your feet. Gather your wits and find her visibly shaken and upset. Tell her you feel ok, and she will tell you that Ancano is doing something with the Eye of Magnus and that the Arch-Mage is missing. This will begin the quest. Head to the College’s central courtyard where you will find the Arch-Mage's body and a group of mages. Tolfdir will approach you and inform you that whatever killed the Arch-Mage has also affected the town of Winterhold. He asks you to go there and save the town.
 No Time for Grief
Cross the bridge, where Faralda and Arniel will be waiting. Faralda will inquire about the situation. Explain that Winterhold is in imminent danger and proceed to the town. Faralda and Arniel will follow and assist you in the battle that awaits. You will find the town has become infested with a swarm of magic anomalies—fast moving balls of energy whose attacks deliver frost damage. They explode upon defeat, leaving behind soul gems in their "ghostly remains". Faralda and Arniel prove valuable allies in this battle and, with their help, you defeat the ten anomalies and secure the town. Arniel will remain in the town while you return to the College to report back to Mirabelle.
 The Staff of Magnus
When you find Mirabelle, she will tell you that she and Tolfdir are trying to keep the Eye contained, but are in dire need of the Staff of Magnus. When you tell her that you must venture to Labyrinthian for the staff, she softens a bit from her concern and grief. She intimates that Savos Aren had just recently given her a mysterious torc, cryptically telling her that she would know what to do with it when the time came, and she believes it was meant for you. She also gives you Savos Aren's amulet to aid you on your journey, believing that you will be better served by it. The Staff of Magnus quest begins here.
- If your horse is stabled within the city, the anomalies can quickly surround it and kill it. Simply rush down there at the start of the quest, hop on your horse, ride it out of town, hop off, and then sprint back on foot and join the fray, unless you have Shadowmere, then he can probably stay with you in the fight.
- At higher levels, the anomalies can be used to train Restoration very effectively, due to their large numbers and pitiful attack power.
- The souls of magic anomalies are leveled.
- All College NPCs will either disappear or lose all dialogue options until the next quest is finished, which temporarily prevents you from advancing certain quests or using College services. Any NPCs who have been made followers or stewardsHF will also lose their dialogue options until the quest is complete.
- You cannot loot the Arch-Mage's body.
- If you leave a follower somewhere away from the college or the town of Winterhold, when you go to speak with Mirabelle they will be there.
- If the battle goes on till 7pm Enthir will be headed to the inn and lend a hand. He will then comment "If this is your fault." but not activate speech dialogue.
- Even after finishing the quest and talking to Mirabelle, magic anomalies will appear in the town of Winterhold and attack the guards.
- It is advisable to finish sub-quests involving the townsfolk before triggering the anomalies, as they are known to kill NPCs in town.
- Sometimes after killing an anomaly it will explode but leave no ghostly remains on the ground. Instead above where it died there should be a floating blue glow. You may have to jump in order to open the remains, if you wish to collect the soul gem.
- One of the anomalies may not appear and is likely under the world or in a wall, and you may find that it has fallen to the bottom of the cliff near the city.
- Fast traveling back to the town may fix this.
- Also, entering another cell such as the inn can cause it to move out of the wall.
- You may not receive the quest after the Eye of Magnus has been overloaded.
- If a dragon appears while you are fighting the anomalies, the dead dragon will not give you a dragon soul, and when you kill the anomalies, the quest will mark as being moved on the next stage but you won't be able to enter the College, and people won't talk to you. It is recommended that you reload to a save from before the dragon appeared.
- You may get no initiating quest once the archmage is dead, and there will not be a group of mages surrounding him. This problem may be solved by loading a save several quest stages before the Eye of Magnus explodes.
- This bug is fixed by version 2.0.5 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- Entering the console command
startquest MG05will start the quest if talking to Savos Aren does not update the previous quest and Mirabelle does not give the quest.
- To get the quest to start, complete all Winterhold related quests that you have active including any under miscellaneous quests.
- After killing the anomalies, the entrance to the Hall of the Elements may be inactive. Wait for an NPC to enter and fix the door for you; saving and reloading won't fix this. It may also be possible to reset the door yourself by clicking around or near the edges of the door.
- If you go into the Arch-Mage's quarters before going outside, you may encounter him alive but without any dialogue when you try to speak to him.
 Quest Stages
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 1, 25.
|Prev: Revealing the Unseen||Up: College of Winterhold||Next: The Staff of Magnus|