Skyrim:Deceiving the Herd
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Speak to Feran Sadri.
- Read incriminating letter to determine city of victim.
- (Optional) Dress up as a member of the Dawnguard.
- (Optional) Choose a high profile victim.
- Kill a victim in the streets, where you can be seen.
- Plant the incriminating letter on the corpse.
- Return to Feran Sadri for your reward.
 Detailed Walkthrough
When you speak to Feran Sadri, he will complain that the Dawnguard have been recruiting and give you an assignment to give them something else to worry about: "You are to make a public show of murdering someone. Do it in the streets for all to see. The higher the profile the better. Make it seem you are a member of the Dawnguard, thus sowing confusion among the herd. Wear this armor and plant this note on the victim." He will give you a set of Dawnguard armor so you can impersonate the Dawnguard more easily, as well as the note to plant on the victim's body.
Feran will choose the city for you, but you are given the option of what to wear, how to kill the victim, and which victim to kill. After killing the chosen victim, plant the letter on their corpse and return to Feran.
The following table lists only the victims which count as "high profile" for the quest.
|To meet our site's higher standard of quality, this article or section may require cleanup. The user who placed this here had the following concern:
The following table is incomplete, and some entries may be incorrect.
Please remove victims which you can confirm do not count toward the "high profile" option of the quest, and add any which do.
To leave a message about the cleanup for this article, please add it to this article's
- Feran refers to high profile victims as "...an important member of society. Someone attached to the Jarl's court, a merchant, a bard, a priest, someone with stature." However, some of those mentioned will not count toward the high profile option, so be sure to save beforehand if you want to make sure you get the benefits of this.
- A killing in this quest only counts if the target is "on the streets". NPCs that never leave a building won't count unless you can coax them outside, such as by making them hostile and then stepping outside for them to follow.
- You must be seen making the kill in Dawnguard armor; stealth kills or kills with no one else around don't count.
- Killing any NPC while seen in the streets will progress the quest, even a guard or a randomly spawned vampire. The "high-profile victim" objective will fail, but the quest as a whole will be completed successfully as long as you plant the letter.
- You can avoid the bounty if sent to Windhelm by choosing to kill Calixto Corrium in conjunction with solving the Blood on the Ice murders. Doing it this way concludes the investigation as well as gives you a success for the public murder, however he does not count as high profile.
- Wearing any Dawnguard armor satisfies the quests requirements—it is not necessary to use the armor given by Feran.
- Reanimating a high profile target and killing it (again) within the required city will satisfy the optional objective.
- Captain Lonely-Gale is supposed to become steward if the Imperials take over during the Battle for Windhelm, but he never does. The USKP fixes that bug, so he will also count as a high-profile target once installed as steward.[verification needed — Needs in-game verification.]
- Even without accepting this quest, the objective "Plant letter on <Alias=Victim>'s corpse" may appear in your journal after you kill a high-profile victim.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2.1 of the Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.
- You can use
setstage DLC1RV03 10to fix this once you have gone through all the vampire quests.
- You may not be able to plant the Incriminating Letter on the corpse, instead receiving a message saying "Quest items cannot be removed from your inventory".
- This bug is fixed by version 1.1.1 of the Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.
- Reloading a save from before entering the city should fix this.
- Read Incriminating Letter to determine city of victim.
- Wait for quest messages to appear before planting letter.
- Quest may not update if you use the Ebony Blade to kill a target with a high disposition towards you.
- It may happen that the quest will start after installing "Dragonborn". If so, the journal will refer to one of the Cultists that attack you as objective of the quest. If you want to find the letter, you have to pickpocket Feran Sadri and steal it. After that, you can put the letter on the corpse of the Cultist and then, returning to Feran, finish the quest.
 Quest Stages
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 1, 100, 101, 110, 111, 220.
|This Skyrim-related article is a stub. You can help by .|