This article is about the skill. For the physical equipment, see Light Armor (item).
|Skill: Light Armor|
Light Armor is the skill governing your ability to fight and move in light armor. Each skill point increases your armor rating from Light Armor by 0.4% (1.5% for NPCs). The Light Armor skill tree has a total of 6 perks, requiring a total of 10 perk points to fill.
Additional types of light armor that are forgeable: Imperial light armor, chitin armorDB, dragonscale, and Stalhrim light armorDB. There are also a few types of generic, unforgeable, light armor: fur armor, Blackguard's armorDB, Dawnguard armorDG, Forsworn armor, guard armor, Morag Tong armorDB, Skaal armorDB, Stormcloak armor, and vampire armorDG. Also, the artifacts Morokei, Volsung, Wooden Mask, Dawnguard Rune ShieldDG, and Savior's Hide are classified as light armor.
|Perk||Rank||Description||ID||Skill Req.||Perk Req.|
|Agile Defender||1||Increase armor rating for Light armor by 20%.||000be123|
|2||Increase armor rating for Light armor by 40%.||00079376||20 Light Armor|
|3||Increase armor rating for Light armor by 60%.||00079389||40 Light Armor|
|4||Increase armor rating for Light armor by 80%.||00079391||60 Light Armor|
|5||Increase armor rating for Light armor by 100%.||00079392||80 Light Armor|
|Custom Fit||25% Armor bonus if wearing all Light Armor: head, chest, hands, feet.||00051b1b||30 Light Armor||Agile Defender|
|Matching Set||Additional 25% Armor bonus if wearing a matched set of Light Armor.||00051b17||70 Light Armor||Custom Fit|
|Unhindered||Light Armor weighs nothing and doesn't slow you down when worn.||00051b1c||50 Light Armor||Custom Fit|
|Wind Walker||Stamina regenerates 50% faster in all Light Armor: head, chest, hands, feet.||00105f22||60 Light Armor||Unhindered|
|Deft Movement||10% chance of avoiding all damage from a melee attack while wearing all Light Armor: head, chest, hands, feet.||00107831||100 Light Armor||Wind Walker or Matching Set|
- ^ a b c d e Does not affect shields.
- ^ a b c "All Light Armor" does not necessarily need to be a matching set, e.g., some pieces might be glass and others might be elven.
- ^ A Set is Matching if the four pieces of worn armor (armor, helmet, gloves, boots) share the same material. Shields of all types match all armor.
- ^ This also works on ranged attacks.[verification needed]
Comparison to Heavy Armor
- Lighter and less movement penalty.
- Less noisy, making sneaking easier.
- Unhindered perk (worn light armor is weightless) is available 20 levels earlier than Heavy Armor's Conditioning, and doesn't require taking two highly situational perks to unlock.
- Uses less stamina when sprinting.
- Stamina recovers faster with Wind Walker perk.
- Can be faster than the enemy, allowing you to run away from a battle or pursue a fleeing enemy.
- The lighter weight allows for the carrying of multiple suits of armor, each fine-tuned for specific enemies and situations, without drastically taking up encumbrance.
- Fully mastering the Light Armor tree requires two fewer perks over Heavy Armor (10 total points versus 12), allowing for more growth in other skill trees.
- Deft Movement has a small chance to negate combat damage, increasing overall defense.
- Much less protective in the early game. However, later on, with high support skills, both armors are able to reach the protection cap.
- Bare fist (unarmed) attacks are less powerful without Fists of Steel, though at present this perk only uses the base value of the armor, not the upgraded value, and this perk can be somewhat replaced with Fortify Unarmed.
- Reflect Blows can share melee damage with attackers, increasing overall offense.
The following races have an initial skill bonus to Light Armor:
- Scouts-Many-Marshes in Windhelm (Common)
- Grelka in Riften (Expert)
- Nazir in Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary, west of Falkreath or north of Dawnstar (Master)
- +1 Light Armor reward (as well as +1 Lockpicking) from Shahvee (Windhelm) for completing the quest Find Shahvee's Amulet of Zenithar inside <Dungeon>.
- +1 Light Armor reward from Annekke Crag-Jumper for completing the quest Kill the Bandit Leader inside <Dungeon>.
- +1 Light Armor reward (as well as +1 to all other stealth skills) from Inge Six Fingers (Bards College) for completing the quest Finn's Lute.
- +5 Light Armor reward (as well as +5 to all other stealth skills) by selecting "The Path of Shadow" from the Oghma Infinium after completing the quest Discerning the Transmundane.
Gaining Skill XP
- Armor skill increases are based on incoming damage, i.e. tougher enemies advance your armor skill faster.
- Regenerate Health potions and enchantments can heal you while leveling armor skills, potentially allowing you to leave the game unattended. This can also be accomplished with natural health regeneration during brawling sessions with NPCs or fighting very weak enemies like skeevers, though skill gains will be very slow.
- Healing while getting bashed is a good way to level the Restoration skill at the same time.
- The Block skill can be easily leveled at the same time as Armor skills.
- Some guards will say "Lightly armored means light on your feet. Smart." This actually refers to your skill level, not what you are currently wearing.
- Before patch 1.3.10, armor rating for werewolves was affected by the Light Armor skill and had been increased by the Agile Defender perk.
- With the Unhindered perk, when you carry more weight than you could without the perk, and you save a game, upon loading from inside the game, you will be over-encumbered (as if you didn't have the perk) until you open your inventory. This typically occurs only after an event, such as your death, removing all of your active effects. If you die and then quickload, you may become affected by this bug until you relaunch the game.
- The Unhindered perk is intended to reduce only the weight of light armor that is actually being worn (equipped). However, as of patch version 1.4, Unhindered also reduces the weight of any piece of armor in your inventory that is the same base item as any piece being worn. For example, if you have 10 glass armors in your inventory, equipping one of them will make all of them weightless. This remains true even if the worn armor is enhanced by Smithing, enchanted, and renamed.
- Even though Deft Movement claims to only work against melee attacks, it has the same chance to ignore damage from arrows, too.
- Deft Movement's chance to activate is actually 11%.
- This bug is fixed by version 2.0.5 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.