|Daedric Artifact: Ebony Mail (00052794)
|You are able to move more quietly, and opponents that get too close take 5 points of poison damage to health per second.
The Ebony Mail is an artifact created by the Daedric Prince Boethiah. It is Heavy Armor and enchanted with a muffle effect as well as a unique area effect that inflicts 5 points of poison damage per second on the health of nearby opponents. It can be improved with an ebony ingot. It is awarded to you by Boethiah for completing the quest Boethiah's Calling.
In appearance, the Ebony Mail is not too different from ordinary ebony armor, aside from the absence of shoulder pauldrons, a black chainmail texture replacing the cloth areas, and minor color changes. The most unique feature of the Ebony Mail is its "poison cloak" enchantment, which activates when the wearer is sneaking or when an enemy is nearby. While active, the armor gives off a black/green-colored smoke and all parts of the wearer (including weapons but not hair and facial hair) appear a shadowy black. Most hostile creatures or NPCs affected by the poison cloak will take on a similar silhouetted appearance.
 Related Quests
- Ebony Mail's armor rating is slightly lower than dragonplate armor; however, it is quite lightweight.
- Brawling while wearing the Ebony Mail violates the rules of a brawl.
- Getting too close to any non-allied NPC can trigger the poison aura, effectively attacking the NPC.
- The smoke emitted by the poison cloak can obscure a significant part of the screen in first-person view and thus interfere with your ability to see enemies while in combat; the effect is especially noticeable when you are stationary or aiming a bow.
- The Ebony Mail is not a piece of Ebony Armor for the purposes of the Matching Set perk.
- Because of all these drawbacks, you may consider simply giving the Ebony Mail to your favorite follower.
- Followers do not benefit from fortify carry weight enchantments, the Steed Stone, or the Conditioning perk; since Ebony Mail is the lightest heavy armor, it will free up precious room in your followers' inventory to carry more things for you.
- Followers do not get involved in a brawl, so they will not assault your opponent with the poison cloak.
- Since followers do not have the matching set perk, giving it to them will not hinder their ability to get an armor bonus.
- The problems that the poison cloak causes regarding sneaking and pickpocketing can be easily worked around by having your follower wait a safe distance away.
- The Champion of Boethiah will re-equip this armor every time he is revived with Dead Thrall, which can be exploited for infinite gold and powerful armor for your followers.