|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
|This article could benefit from an image.
See Help:Images for information on how to upload images. Please remove this template from the page when finished.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Speak to Skjor or Vilkas at Jorrvaskr.
- Travel to the randomly-determined location
- Retrieve the heirloom from the location's boss chest.
- Return the heirloom to Skjor or Vilkas for your reward.
 Detailed Walkthrough
The quest-giver for this quest is originally Skjor, and it is one of three possible radiant quests that Skjor will choose to give you (the other two being Escaped Criminal and Rescue Mission). However, once Skjor has been slain, Vilkas instead becomes the quest giver for these quests.
Skjor will tell you that a wealthy family has had an heirloom stolen and that you need to retrieve it. The stolen item is randomly determined, from a list that includes all standard unenchanted weapons in the game. You are never told the name of the family who lost the item, only the hold in which they live.
The target location is randomly chosen from 76 possible locations, amounting to a large fraction of the dungeons that contain boss chests. The location will be limited to holds that you have previously visited, so early in the game you may only receive destinations within Whiterun Hold, but later in the game there are many more possible destinations. Possible types of locations are:
- A Bandit Camp or Bandit-Occupied Fort: 23 possible locations (Bandit Camps category)
- A Falmer Hive: 12 possible locations (Falmer Hives category)
- A Forsworn Camp: 7 possible locations (Forsworn Camps category)
- A Giant Camp: 12 possible locations (Giant Camps category)
- A Vampire Lair: 8 possible locations (Vampire Lairs category)
- A Warlock Lair: 15 possible locations (Warlock Lairs category)
(Note that the provided categories list all locations with the given type of occupant, including locations that do not have a boss chest and therefore cannot be possible destinations for this quest).
At the chosen location, the item will always be found in the boss chest, which is typically at the end of the dungeon and guarded by a boss-level monster. To complete the quest, all that you need to do is retrieve the item — although in the process of exploring the dungeon you may end up collecting other loot and killing various enemies. Once you have the heirloom, return to the quest-giver (Skjor or Vilkas) and obtain your reward.
- The item you are sent to retrieve may not spawn at the location indicated by your quest map marker.
Vilkas dies before starting the mission. So mission is then failed and other companions will not hire you because they still say you are on a job for Vilkas.