Skyrim:Fetch me that Book!
- Talk to Urag gro-Shub.
- Retrieve the requested book.
- Return to Urag gro-Shub.
After joining the College of Winterhold, you will find an opportunity to visit the Arcanaeum. Here you will meet the master archivist, Urag gro-Shub. He is very solicitous of his books, threatening bodily harm should any problems arise under his watch. After his blustering, ask Urag if there is any College business you can help with. If you assure him you are feeling adventurous, he will name a book title he would like to procure from a more “dangerous” location.
The book that you are asked to find is randomly selected from the following list:
- Arcana Restored
- Brothers of Darkness
- Children of the Sky
- Chronicles of Nchuleft
- Cleansing of the Fane
- Fragment: On Artaeum
- Glories and Laments
- Hanging Gardens
- Invocation of Azura
- Last King of the Ayleids — (NOT the similarly named The Last King of the Ayleids, even though the text is identical.)
- The Legendary Scourge
- Souls, Black and White
- N'Gasta! Kvata! Kvakis!
- The Old Ways
- War of the First Council
- The Waters of Oblivion
- The Wild Elves
- The Wolf Queen, v6
The book will be located in the boss-level chest of any dungeon in the game, and as this is a radiant quest, your destination is randomly selected from over one hundred forty possible dungeons.
A Means to an End
The book you are asked to find is never a skill book, and the monetary reward you get from Urag for returning a book is very small in proportion to the amount of work required to fetch it. However, this quest is a useful means for locating dungeons in Skyrim. The various loot you find in the dungeons will be considerably more valuable than the book.
- If Dragonborn is installed, some radiant locations may be on Solstheim. If you are in Skyrim, you will not receive a quest marker pointing you to the quest location, but must travel to Solstheim first (at which point any quest markers you have to quests in Skyrim will lose their quest markers).
- The two different quest IDs correspond to two nearly identical quests. In particular, the lists of possible books and lists of possible dungeons are the same for both quests. The only difference is Urag's dialogue throughout the quest.
- If you find the book before activating the quest, you will be stuck with it. The quest will point to the chest, and the book won't be there, and can't be returned. Once this has happened, you will be stuck with any additional copies you pick up as well, even if you activate the quest before getting a second copy.
- This bug is fixed by version 2.0.0 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
player.drop "book ID" "quantity"to drop and retake the book to complete the quest.
- Alternatively use console
player.additem 72841 1to add quest version of that book to inventory. Then use
setstage MGR20 20to finish that stage of quest.
- If there is no quest marker pointing you to the book's location, the book may be located in The Katariah, in which case the book can not be reached until the quest Hail Sithis! begins.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- The quest marker may point to the Thalmor Embassy instead of Shadowgreen Cavern, which is right next door.
- If you find the book before activating the quest, the quest will point you to Urag gro-Shub saying "Return the book to Urag gro-Shub" (if you have installed the unofficial patches) but Urag gro-Shub will not provide new dialogue thus making it impossible to complete the quest.
setstage MGR20 200to finish the quest. (use this if
setstage MGR20 20doesn't work). Use "MGR20B" if "MGR20" doesn't work.
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table:
- MGR20: 0.
- MGR20B: 0.