|# of Zones||2|
|Respawn Time||10 days or 30 days|
|Console Location Code(s)|
|Word Wall||Marked for Death|
|# of Alchemy Labs||1|
|# of Iron||1|
You can find the cave by following River Yorgrim westward from Windhelm, staying on the north shore.
 Related Quests
- Dungeon Delving: Do a favor by retrieving an item from a cave. (radiant)
- Salty Sea-Dogs: Find some void salts for an inexperienced sea captain. (radiant)
- The White Phial: Retrieve a legendary artifact to cure an alchemist in Windhelm of his terminal illness.
- An iron ore vein can be found southwest of the cave, where you land after fast traveling.
- If you kill Curalmil and return to the Crypt after it respawns, he will be replaced by a boss-level draugr.
 Zone 1: Forsaken Cave
Right after the abandoned cart in the entrance of the cave, you will meet two leveled enemies. Continue through the cave system till you encounter the door for the second zone, but be careful of traps and draugr ambushes. On your way, you should find a copy of the Block skill book The Mirror on a table, and a door with an adept-level lock hiding an extra stash of items. There are also several caches of ingots throughout the draugr areas that are very easy to overlook (seven gold, eight iron, eight silver, and two steel ingots in total).
 Zone 2: Forsaken Crypt
The second zone holds a few more traps, draugr, and a door with an expert-level lock hiding some loot. There are a few ingots (two iron and six silver and two steel) in some of the bookshelves. Eventually you will open a door and find a set of two swinging blades. The chamber beyond holds the most dangerous foe of the caves: Curalmil, a leveled undead boss who can use dragon shouts. He will attack you aided by three standard draugr standing in alcoves to the side once you walk into the room, but you should be able to get yourself (and your companions, if any) past the swinging blades before initiating the battle. It is possible to attack the standard draugr before Curalmil gets out of his coffin, which makes the fight easier. You can also retreat to the room just before the chamber and close the iron door; at this point the blades start swinging again, so if you can lure Curalmil to seek you out, the swinging blades will easily make short work of him.
Once the draugr have been killed, you will be able to approach the word wall beyond (at the top of the stairs), for a word of the Marked for Death shout. In addition, you will find a chest with extra loot (and you may find notable items on Curalmil's corpse).
Beyond the word wall, you will find a smaller room, apparently a dead end, with an empty bowl. If you have Nurelion's Mixture, pouring it into the bowl will open a new passage leading to a room (not shown on the minimap) with considerable loot in the form of alchemical ingredients, potions, and a copy of the Alchemy skill book A Game at Dinner. An alchemy lab is also available in this room. The White Phial for the eponymous quest is located here.
Once you have explored this area, you can take the side passage from the room where you fought Curalmil to quickly return to the Forsaken Cave.
- The ceiling spikes trap (where a circular platform is raised to impale the victim onto roof-mounted stakes) can transport you through the ceiling "one floor up".
- Reloading the game should resolve the issue.