|# of Zones||1|
|Respawn Time||Never (storage is safe)|
|Kornalus, Frostbite Spiders|
|Console Location Code(s)|
|North-northwest of Karthwasten|
|# of Alchemy Labs||1|
|# of Iron||1|
 Related Quests
- Arniel's Endeavor: Uncover an ancient Dwemer secret.
- Onmund's Request: Help Onmund negotiate the return of a family amulet from Enthir.
- Salty Sea-Dogs: Find some void salts for an inexperienced sea captain.
Upon approaching the first room, you will hear the voice of an adventurer and sounds of a battle. In the room you will find the adventurer finishing off a spider. He will spot you even if you are sneaking, and start a conversation with you. After you ask him what was going on with the spiders, he will say: "I don't know, but this place is full of them. Every one I've encountered has been enchanted or the like. Look, I'm getting out of here. Normally, spiders make my skin crawl, but magic spiders? Blech." He will then promptly leave. Pass through the room, along a passage, down some stairs, into another room. There is a platform on the right which you cannot reach, this will be your way out later. To the left as you enter there is a spike gate, and a lever which opens it. Go through the gate and along the passage to the next room.
This room contains little of interest beyond four levers which open the spike gate at its far end. Facing the gate and counting from the left, pull lever 1 and wait until the two spikes on the left descend, then pull lever 2, then 4, and lastly pull lever 3. Alternatively, simply activate lever 1 followed by lever 4.
Go along the passage and up some stairs into the next room; you will hear a spider moving about. The room contains an alchemy lab with a journal describing the results of experiments carried out on the spiders. A wooden door with a leveled lock opens into a smaller room containing the frostbite spider you heard, a chest, some alchemy ingredients and a copy of the Alchemy skill book A Game at Dinner.
Pass through the hole in the wall of the larger room. A frostbite spider will descend from the ceiling in the next room, and then two more will be released from small, barred cells. Defeat them, destroy the web blocking the door at the far end of the room, and pass through. Continue along the passage, and ascend the stairs to a door.
Through the door, you will be on a platform at one side of a large room with a chest right in front of you. The experimenter, Kornalus, is standing in front of a cell containing three frostbite spiders. Either attack Kornalus directly, or sneak down to pull the lever on the corner pillar of the cell. This releases the spiders, which will then proceed to attack Kornalus. They are usually easily taken down, but they provide a distraction for you. Kornalus will have a key on his body which opens the door to his living quarters (which can be picked), and the door to the exit path (which can't). Loot Kornalus' quarters, which contains some alchemy ingredients, plenty of spider eggs (there are several inside a basket on the table), and a chest. You can obtain the blessing of Julianos from a shrine on the dresser. If you have come to this dungeon on a quest, Kornalus' chest will contain the object you're hunting for.
Returning from Kornalus' quarters, turn left to the door which requires the key. This leads to a room containing two giant frostbite spiders. They are too big to fit through the door, so they can be killed with ranged attacks. There is a weapon behind a spider egg sac on the north wall of the room, just inside the doorway through which you entered. There is an iron ore vein at the base of some stairs on the far side of the room. Climb these, and pass through a doorway onto the platform you could see but not reach from near the fort's entrance. Continuing straight ahead, there is a chest on your left which you can loot before dropping down and leaving the way you came in.
- Looting the corpses of already-dead spiders you find lying about will initiate a brief elemental effect (fire, frost or shock) on the corpse. This does not seem to harm you. The effect is not seen on corpses you have killed yourself.
- Once Kornalus and the spiders are gone, the fort will never be re-occupied.
- The spider puzzle trap may be a reference to Fang Lair from Arena.
- When in the room with three caged frostbite spiders, if you attack them through the bars and a kill animation initiates, you can end up behind the cage bars with no way out, or the spiders could end up outside the cage with you.
- If Barbas is with you when you meet the adventurer at the entrance, Barbas may attack and kill the adventurer.
- The spike puzzle may not work at all (the spikes not moving whatsoever). Try reloading or, if that doesn't work, leaving and re-entering the cave.
|This Skyrim-related article is a stub. You can help by .|