Health is the amount of damage that any person or creature can take before dying. It is equivalent to the hit points (HP) used in other games.
 Increasing Health
Your health attribute can be increased using Fortify Health effects. Enchantments are particularly useful, since they have a constant effect. With spells and potions, care is needed when relying on Fortify Health effects in the middle of combat. When the effect expires, you will immediately lose all the bonus health, potentially killing your character.
 Restoring Health
You lose health when taking damage. The red bar in the bottom center of the screen shows you the current status of your health (although this bar will be invisible when health is full). There are many ways to restore health:
- Health slowly regenerates over time. You regenerate 0.70% of your maximum health each second outside of combat and 0.49% during combat. Most NPCs do not regenerate health during combat.
- Restore Health effects are available in various forms:
- Whenever your character levels up, your health is fully restored.
 NPC Health
- The race provides a starting health. While the playable races all have a starting health of 50, other races have values ranging from 5 to 1000.
- Individual NPCs and creatures can have a fixed health adjustment. This adjustment is zero for most generic enemies, but can be substantial for quest-specific enemies (values range from -200 to 30000).
- Most NPCs and creatures gain additional health per level:
- 5 health points per level.
- The class provides an additional 0-10 health points per level.
The rate at which enemies regenerate health is determined by their race, and may be supplemented by racial abilities (for example, trolls have a racial ability allowing enhanced in-combat health regeneration).