|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Talk to Delvin Mallory in Riften.
- Talk to Olfrid Battle-Born in Whiterun for the details.
- Steal the incriminating letter.
- Forge the prison registry.
- Tell Olfrid the job has been done.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 A Special Job
Once you've completed five additional jobs in the city of Whiterun, speak to Delvin at the Ragged Flagon to receive a 'special job'. Delvin explains that he has received word from Olfrid Battle-Born about a special job. Travel to Whiterun and speak to Olfrid, who explains that "Arn", one of his old war buddies wanted for murder in Solitude, has been arrested for drunkenness in Whiterun. Your job is to steal a letter to the Jarl warning of Arn's true crime. Having done so, you must find the Whiterun prison registry and change Arn's name, which will ensure his prompt release. Further inquiry will reveal that the letter is in the Jarl's chambers and the registry is on the steward's desk.
 Rename the Prisoner
No matter Olfrid's protestations that this is difficult, it is extremely easy to complete. If you have completed the quest Bleak Falls Barrow, then simply walk in to the Jarl's quarters. If not then during the day go to Dragonsreach Palace, sneak through the servants entrance to the Jarl's Quarters located in the kitchen, and head up to the steward's room.
Now run to the Jarl's study up the stairs and to the right of the dining table, the guards will be telling you to get out, sneak, close the door behind you, steal the letter, run back to the stewards room, sneak, activate the register, then exit as quick as possible.
 The Payoff
Olfrid is grateful that his friend will only have to spend a few days in jail for his drunkenness instead of facing an executioner's axe for murder, and gives you a random enchanted ring as a reward.
Report back to Delvin for your pay. Delvin will inform you that Olfrid has "pledged the full support of the Battle-Born clan to the Thieves Guild", and that a new merchant has set up shop in the Flagon.
- After completing this quest, three "Thief Cache" barrels will appear around Whiterun with lockpicks and random leveled treasure in them. The barrels are easily distinguishable from others, since they're all marked with Thieves' Cache Shadowmarks.
- The quest is actually fairly easy if you've completed either Bleak Falls Barrow or the Battle for Whiterun for the Stormcloaks, because those quests, you will be on friendly terms with whichever Jarl is in charge, allowing you enter the Jarl's area without trespassing, take the incriminating letter in plain sight (it is a low-value item, so the Jarl will allow his friends to take it), and close the door in the Steward's quarters when that room is empty, so no one can see you alter the prison ledgers. This makes Imitation Amnesty the easiest of the four Thieves Guild Special Jobs.
- Although Olfrid's friend, Arn, is supposed to be in Whiterun jail for drunken behavior, he is nowhere to be found in Dragonsreach Dungeon, or anywhere in the game for that matter.