Skyrim:In My Time Of Need
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Get the quest from the Alik'r Warriors in Whiterun.
- Find Saadia at The Bannered Mare.
- Speak with her or report her to the Alik'r in Rorikstead.
- Kill Kematu or lure Saadia to the stables.
- Collect your reward from Kematu or Saadia.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 A wanted woman
After speaking with the Jarl in Whiterun and starting Dragon Rising, you may come across guards looking for a Redguard female in the city. You may also observe an argument between Whiterun guards and Alik'r Warriors regarding their presence in the hold, or you may find Alik'r Warriors interrogating Redguard females in the Skyrim wilderness. Speak with the Alik'r to start the quest.
 Finding the missing woman
Go to The Bannered Mare. The Redguard is a woman called Saadia. She will be wandering about the inn and may walk up to you asking if you are hungry. When you mention the Alik'r, she asks you to follow her to her room, where you can speak in private. As you get there, she draws her dagger against you. Tell her to calm down. She claims that she is actually a noble from Hammerfell, and the Alik'r have been sent after her because she publicly spoke out against the Aldmeri Dominion. At this point, you can make a choice:
- Speak to the Alik'r warriors in Rorikstead and tell them of Saadia's location.
- Follow Saadia's instructions in order to help her.
A third, more treacherous route, especially if you're stealthy, is to agree to help the Alik'r, then, when you're in a better position, kill them. If you have the ability to stealthily backstab and pickpocket weapons off of them, so much the better. This will allow you to go back to Saadia and let her know she won't be further troubled, and you can complete the quest without turning her in. Saadia will pay you only 500 coins.
 Defend a helpless dissident...
If you decide to help Saadia, go into the dungeon of Dragonsreach and speak with an Alik'r Warrior that was captured. After paying 100 gold to a guard, the prisoner will tell you that the leader of the Alik'r is in a cave west of Whiterun called Swindler's Den.
You can go directly to Swindler's Den without attempting to speak with the prisoner.
 Swindler's Den
Upon reaching Swindler's Den, you'll find it's full of bandits. Make your way through the network of tunnels, killing every bandit in your way, until you reach a passage with a waterfall. As soon as you walk through the wall of water, Kematu, the Alik'r leader, should initiate a conversation. He claims that Saadia is wanted for treason, for selling Hammerfell out to the Aldmeri Dominion.
If you still want to help Saadia, you'll have quite a fight on your hands. At least four Alik'r Warriors will assist Kematu, often more. However, use of the Mayhem spell here makes the fight a breeze.
Fighting the host of Alik'r warriors can be made easier by using the bear traps at the mouth of the winding path that leads into the cave where Kematu awaits. The warriors get hung up in the path, allowing for the traps to be reset. Success is facilitated by focusing on your high-offense attack while retreating. Once your stamina or magic is depleted, turn and run for the traps, being careful to jump over them as you pass. It is also possible to simply exit the conversation with Kematu (or tell him that you will help lure Saadia away), sneak into the room just ahead, and snipe all the warriors with your bow.
Once the Alik'r are dead, loot Kematu's corpse for bonus gold, then go get your reward from Saadia.
 ...Or bring a traitor to justice
If you decide to help the Alik'r capture Saadia, Kematu or the Redguards you spoke to in Rorikstead will ask you to lure her to the stables outside of Whiterun. Go back and talk to Saadia in The Bannered Mare and ask her to follow you. Once she gets to the stables, Kematu will use a paralyzing spell on her. Talk to him for your reward.
 Alternative Routes
While Kematu and Saadia are talking at the stables, you can still kill Kematu before he casts the spell on Saadia. This will get you the reward from Saadia and the gold Kematu is carrying without having to fight the rest of the Alik'r. If you kill him after he casts the spell, however, Saadia will attack you when she gets back up.
You can also allow Kematu to cast the spell on Saadia and collect the 500 gold reward thus ending the quest, then kill Kematu to undo the spell on Saadia. At this point Saadia will be hostile right away, so use a Calm spell on her then talk to her and she will give you the 500 gold reward for killing Kematu. You can then loot Kematu's body to get 200 gold, his attire, and his sword. Once the Calm spell ends, Saadia will become hostile again. Kill her and then loot her body. She will also have gold and jewels. Both characters will be dead, but you will have gained maximum rewards, equaling out to 1200 gold plus random jewels.
- The Whiterun guards won't release the Alik'r prisoner, even though you paid his fine. Apparently, they "lost the key" to his cell and "will eventually get to it".
- It is not only possible to evade the majority of enemies in Swindler's Den, but also to skip stage 101 of the quest. At the beginning of the dungeon, it is possible to jump up onto the cliff on the right side of the entrance, where the first enemies found inside the cave are. When you get to the second chamber, jump on the table and, with your back to the chair, jump onto the rock in front of you as if you are trying to jump through it. Then, look slightly to your left; about your 11 o' clock, you will see a gray-ish slanted rock wall of a sort. Jump onto it and keep on pressing your jump button while looking up and you should be able to jump up to the ledge there. From the ledge, follow the path until you run into Kematu. You come up behind his men this way, and Kematu doesn't hear you coming as he is supposed to. This skips the dialogue and quest stage trigger that you would normally get when passing through the waterfall and up the stairs.
- In order for Saadia to make it to the Whiterun Stables, you may have to meet her outside of Whiterun's main gate.
- If you do choose to help Saadia, you may tell her you will kill Kematu, then go to the Alik'r soon after. This will tell you that you have successfully killed Kematu, and may earn you extra money.
- Both sides will claim to be acting against the Aldmeri Dominion and both sides will claim the other is acting on the Dominion's behalf, so it's not really clear who's on what side.
- This quest counts towards the Sideways achievement regardless of whether you choose to help Saadia or turn her in (i.e., both quest stages 200 and 201 qualify).
- When siding with Saadia, if Swindler's Den has already been found and cleared out prior to the starting of the quest, a dialogue will tell Saadia that the player already knows where Kematu is hiding; this will immediately cancel out the need to speak with the Alik'r prisoner in Dragonsreach.
- You can kill Saadia after turning her in and receiving your reward. This will cause Kematu to leave, and if you talk to him afterwards he'll state "All that effort and you just kill her. You've ruined everything."
- The player can approach and kill the Alik'r in the cave before speaking with Kematu. Performing a power attack will result in a finishing move on the Alik'r but will not trigger the others to attack. In this fashion, the room can be cleared before engaging Kematu in either conversation or combat. Note that while the Alik'r are being killed, Kematu may comment on someone having been murdered, but there is no murder count increase for the player for these actions.
- If you do not directly kill Kematu (i.e., Frenzy or Fury on him or the Alik'r), the quest will be stuck on "Kill or talk to Kematu". See Quest Stages and skip to step 160 to progress the quest.
- If you kill the Alik'r warriors in the Swindler's Den, two Alik'r warriors will sometimes end up constantly appearing in Whiterun by the entrance, and encounters where Alik'r warriors harass a Redguard woman may still occur.
- Using the alternative route mentioned above, sometimes killing Kematu after he casts the paralyze spell on Saadia will not cause her to turn hostile but will still allow you to report that the Alik'r have been taken care of, hence getting both rewards.
- After you hand Saadia to Kematu, sometimes Kematu and the Alik'r keep staying in Swindler's Den. No more conversation options are possible and the dungeon cannot be cleared.
- Sometimes when you talk to the Alik'r warrior in jail and go to the guard, they won't enter conversation with you, forcing you to go directly to Swindler's Den.
- It you have an outstanding bounty in Whiterun, the guards will not enter conversation with you, preventing you from paying the prisoner's fine. You will need to reload the save and clear your bounty prior to entering the dungeon to move forward.
- Sometimes Saadia will disappear in Whiterun when you take her to the stables.
- Sometimes if you enter conversation with the jailed Alik'r warrior a second time before speaking to the guards to pay his fine, his next dialog option will come up early. Despite entering the new line of conversation, he will not give you the required information and your quest will not update. Paying his fine will not progress the dialog further at this point.
- You can reload the save to fix this, or bypass and go to Swindler's Den directly.