|Dwemer Artifact: Keening (0006a13c)|
|Charge/Cost = Uses||0/1|
Keening is a unique dagger crafted by the Dwemer Lord Kagrenac. Keening, Sunder and Wraithguard are the three legendary tools created to control the Heart of Lorkhan. Arniel Gane, who is researching what happened to the Dwemer, had Keening brought to Skyrim during the quest Arniel's Endeavor. His goal is to use it in an experiment to finally solve the mystery of the Dwemer's disappearance.
Before the completion of the quest Arniel's Endeavor, Keening has a "Mortal Wound" effect, lowering maximum health by 5 points as long as it is equipped.
 Related Quests
- Keening can be placed upon a weapon rack, but it won't stay there. This usually results in the loss of the dagger when it falls off into unreachable areas.
- Keening cannot be charged, making its enchantment unusable unless the wielder reduces the cost of Destruction spells to a point where the effect becomes free. This can be achieved by wearing enchanted apparel with a total of 100% Fortify Destruction.
- Once made usable, Keening delivers "Keening's Sting" on every hit. Visually, it appears to combine the three special draining effects together.
- "Keening's Sting" can be resisted with magic resistance.
- Keening cannot be improved at the grindstone.
- Keening also appears in the game Morrowind. Unlike many of the recurring artifacts that appear in in Skyrim, it retains almost an exact resemblance to the item found in the older game.