Skyrim:Laid to Rest
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Find the burned down house.
- Learn about the house fire from a local guard or innkeeper.
- After learning about the fire, talk to the Jarl of Morthal.
- Visit the house and find a lead.
- Follow up on the lead and learn who set the fire.
- Visit the culprit's home and obtain evidence of a plot against the town.
- Report your findings to the jarl and be tasked with eliminating the threat.
- Lead a group of townspeople in the defense of Morthal.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 This Fire Burns
Just about everyone around town will be gossiping about Hroggar's house that recently burned down with his wife and daughter inside. Since Hroggar shacked up with Alva the very next day, many townspeople suspect arson. Once you've found the house, next to Highmoon Hall, Jonna or the guards will tell you that the jarl is looking for some help with it. Talk to Idgrod Ravencrone, or Sorli the Builder if replaced as jarl, in Highmoon Hall and she will task you, a stranger in town, to investigate. Travel to the burned house nearby and find the ghost of Helgi, Hroggar's daughter. She describes dying in the fire, and mentions that someone else nearby is looking for her, too. Agree to play hide-and-seek after dark with her, and in return she will reveal who set the fire.
At this point, though it is not indicated with a quest arrow, you have the option of going to the innkeeper and telling her you saw the ghost of Helgi. The innkeeper will tell you to inform the jarl, and you will get an optional quest directive to do so. If you now tell the jarl about the ghost, she will acknowledge your vision and direct you to the graveyard, and you will receive a quest arrow indicating where to "find" Helgi. Helgi will be "hiding" in her grave behind the house. It's a short distance away, up and to the right where there are some rock piles (cairns).
 I've Been Expecting You...
When you arrive, Laelette is already there. Laelette was a townsperson who was turned into a vampire by none other than Alva, a vampire herself. Defeat Laelette and Helgi's spirit will thank you before going back to sleep in her ghostly world. Note that this must be done at night (make sure to activate Helgi's coffin before the next step). Meanwhile, Laelette's husband Thonnir arrives at Helgi's grave, informing you that he thought Laelette had joined the resistance. He asks you to confront Alva in her home.
 The Detective
Break into Alva's (and now Hroggar's) house across town. Hroggar will be immediately hostile if he is in the house. If you break in during the day Hroggar will not be there, though Alva will be present. If you broke in at night, Alva will most likely be outside of the house, and the coffin will be empty but for her journal. Whichever time of day you break in, make your way into the basement to discover Alva's coffin and journal. Dealing with Alva at this point is not necessary to advance the quest. Read about how all the events unfolded, including how she was turned by the master vampire Movarth, the plot to enslave the townspeople of Morthal for their blood, and the beginnings of your investigation. Take Alva's Journal back to Highmoon Hall and the jarl will reward you with some gold. She then asks one more favor: travel to Movarth's Lair and eliminate the threat. She has gathered a small group of townspeople, led by Thonnir, to travel with you.
 To Movarth's Lair
Thonnir, enraged by the events that took his wife's life, leads the charge whether you're ready or not. Once the party arrives at the lair, however, everyone but Thonnir flees in terror. Thonnir offers you a choice of whether he accompanies you or not. He's essential, so he won't die but he can't hold his own well, and you don't require his assistance to advance the quest. Whatever you choose, enter the one-zone lair and dispatch the Vampire Thralls and Movarth himself. Movarth can and will regenerate his health, and he is still pretty tough. If you didn't take care of Alva in her own house, she will be in the lair, and possibly aid you in killing the other vampires. You can then kill her yourself if you'd like, though this may result in a bounty if Thonnir sees you do it (and sometimes even if he's outside). She carries a fair bit of gold, though. The bounty you receive if he's outside will be removed by killing Alva as she is the last witness to your "crime".
 Return to the Jarl of Morthal
As you leave the lair, Helgi's ghost will appear and thank you for avenging her mother's death. Return to Morthal and the jarl will reward you with a leveled amount of gold. This allows the Dragonborn to become Thane of Morthal.
- If you cast Clairvoyance before finding the girl's grave, it will prematurely lead you out of town to Movarth's Lair.
- Alva's Journal won't be in her coffin unless you've talked to Thonnir about her.
- If you break into Alva's house during either night or day, right after taking her journal, you may see her rushing towards Movarth's Lair (usually she starts from the inn). Afterwards her dead body might be seen within the Lair—she is killed by Movarth if the two meet.
- If Hroggar dies before the quest starts, the quest will proceed as normal.
- Thonnir, as a follower, will refuse to stop following the player. His presence will also remove any bonus damage from sneak attacks if he can see the player.
- Alva's Journal will only appear after the objective to investigate her house is set.
|To meet our site's higher standard of quality, this article or section may require cleanup. The user who placed this here had the following concern:
needs correct formatting, testing and shortening
To leave a message about the cleanup for this article, please add it to this article's .
- Speaking to Thonnir after killing the vampire Laelette, but before examining Helgi's coffin, prevents you from doing so afterwards and prevents the ghost of Helgi from appearing. Seemingly though, the quest can still be completed once all other stages are done, and you will still receive your reward from the jarl.
- Laelette can be found before dusk, where she would normally spawn, above the burnt house. She is invisible, but not hostile, and you can speak to her. She doesn't have anything interesting to say.
- In very rare cases, when playing "hide and seek" with Helgi, you may not fight Laelette because she will be killed by unknown causes. This does not stop or hinder the quest though.
- When playing "hide and seek" with Helgi, Laelette may not be at the coffin. When activating Helgi's coffin, you will still hear her say "Make Laelette go away" though. Laelette can be found on the cliffside just above the coffin, completely unresponsive and temporarily invulnerable. She may also be wandering Morthal, and hostile.
- The coffin might be bugged and won't open when activated.
- Alva may occasionally be hostile for no reason and wandering Morthal. Killing her doesn't seem to affect the quest.
- When entering Alva's Basement, the floor around the door beside the carpet sometimes glitches into a blue void that you can fall into, but you will reappear standing in front the door. Leaving and reentering the basement usually fixes the problem.
- Alva's cellar may be glitched. On the right side, after going through the door, there is a hole where the barrels are. A bucket will repeatedly fall and respawn.
- Hroggar may not be hostile when you enter Alva's house at night. However, if you talk to him, he will still yell about how he won't let you hurt Alva.
- This bug is fixed by version 2.0.6 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- If you ignore the mob and go to the cave without talking to anyone they will still follow you there. If you enter the cave and clear it without help, the mob will be waiting outside after Movarth is killed. You won't be able to talk to Thonnir. The game may move the entire mob to the Fort Graymoor region upon quest completion.
- If you sneak attack Movarth with a bow, he may run and eventually get stuck in a wall where you cannot hit him. Leaving and reentering the dungeon will reset him to his initial position in his chair. Note that if this happens, it's a good opportunity to kill everyone besides Movarth without his interference.
- You might find Alva fighting another vampire in the cave. Afterwards she will stand still and talk like you would normally find her.
- This bug is fixed by version 2.0.6 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- There is a bug that prevents Movarth's Lair from becoming cleared.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.3.2 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- If you want to update the "cleared" status, enter the following command in the console:
SetLocationCleared 0001BDFC 1
- Idgrod may not engage in dialogue with you.
- After killing Alva while she is in her cellar, Hroggar might still be hostile upon entering the house at night. He will also talk like he's still a thrall if you talk to him outside.
- Clear any delivery mission listed here first, then return to jarl.
 Quest Stages
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 1, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 25, 80, 90, 97, 110, 130.