Skyrim:Lifting the Shroud
|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
 Quick Walkthrough
- Offer to investigate Shroud Hearth Barrow after Wilhelm complains it might be haunted.
- Explore the barrow and track down the "ghost."
- Take Wyndelius' diary to Wilhelm for your reward.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 A haunted barrow
Wilhelm, the innkeeper in Ivarstead, fears that Shroud Hearth Barrow, an ancient Nord crypt just outside of town might be haunted, which is bad for his business. Agree to investigate it. He also mentions Wyndelius Gatharian, an adventurer who went to explore the barrow a year ago but never came back.
 Find the ghost
Enter the barrow. At the first intersection, you might see Wyndelius' ghost through a locked gate to your right, asking you to leave. The first part of the barrow has no enemies, only several traps that the player must navigate through. Head left to a room with four levers. Pull the two middle levers (the ones closest to the door) to open the two metal gates. The right side lever triggers an arrow trap.
In the next room, to the right is an apprentice locked door. Directly behind it is a pressure plate that activates a spike trap. It is, however, nowhere near the pressure plate so walking slowly over it will leave you unharmed. Beyond the spike trap is a booby-trapped chest. Moving back, pull the chain to open the next gate and continue on. There is a spike trap here too, but once again moving slowly over it will work.
Eventually, behind an unlocked door, you will find Wyndelius, who will attack you on sight, although he may be asleep in bed. If you kill him, you will notice he wasn't a ghost after all. His spectral appearance was due to a potion called Philter of the Phantom. On the table you will find his journal, which explains why he pretended to be a ghost. Killing Wyndelius is not necessary to complete the quest. In exchange for the journal, Wilhelm will reward you with the sapphire dragon claw, which is needed to explore the rest of the barrow which contains a word wall with a word for the Kyne's Peace shout.
- The claw will be marked as quest-item until the player clears the barrow.
- If the barrow is left alone for long enough for a reset, Wyndelius' body will remain dead while replenishing a new bottle of Philter of the Phantom.
- It is possible to trap yourself. If you find the journal and assume the claw is somewhere in the barrow to find and try to search for it by pulling the chain then running through the two closing portcullis.
- If the puzzle door does not work, check here for possible fixes.
 Quest Stages
|Lifting the Shroud (FreeformIvarstead01)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|20||(Objective is assigned): Investigate Shroud Hearth Barrow|
|30||(Objective is assigned): Bring Wyndelius's Journal to Wilhelm|
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 10, 250.