Skyrim:Lifting the Shroud
 Quick Walkthrough
- Offer to investigate Shroud Hearth Barrow after Wilhelm complains it might be haunted.
- Explore the barrow and track down the "ghost."
- Take Wyndelius' diary to Wilhelm for your reward.
 Detailed Walkthrough
 A Haunted Barrow
When visiting Vilemyr Inn in Ivarstead you may overhear the innkeeper, Wilhelm, warning Lynly Star-Sung about a nearby ghost in the barrows. If you are intrigued and like a good ghost story, Wilhelm will let on that Shroud Hearth Barrow, an ancient Nord crypt just outside of town, is haunted and warns you away from it as well. Asking further, Wilhelm will confess to seeing the spirit, and that this haunting is proving to be bad for his business. Tell him you will investigate it for him. Wilhelm will think you daft, and tell you of Wyndelius Gatharian, an adventurer who went to explore the barrow a year ago. Screams were heard in the night, and the adventurer was never seen again.
 Ghost Hunting
Enter the barrow. At the first intersection, you might see Wyndelius' ghost through a locked gate to your right, asking you to leave. The first part of the barrow has no enemies, only several traps that you must navigate through. Head left to a room with four levers. Pull the two middle levers (the ones closest to the door) to open the two metal gates. The right side lever triggers an arrow trap. In the next room, to the right is an apprentice locked door. Directly behind it is a pressure plate that activates a spike trap. It is, however, nowhere near the pressure plate so walking slowly over it will leave you unharmed. Beyond the spike trap is a booby-trapped chest. Moving back, pull the chain to open the next gate and continue on. There is a spike trap here too, but once again moving slowly over it will work. Eventually, behind an unlocked door, you will find Wyndelius.
 Philter of the Phantom
Wyndelius will attack you on sight, unless he is sleeping, which allows you a sneak attack, or a stealthy inspection of the room. If you kill him, his ruse is revealed; he is not a ghost at all, and his spectral appearance was due to a potion called Philter of the Phantom. On the table you will find his journal, which explains why he pretended to be a ghost. Killing Wyndelius is not necessary to complete the quest. Take the journal to Wilhelm, and in exchange, he will reward you with the sapphire dragon claw; the very item Wyndelius gave his sanity and life to possess. The claw is needed to explore the rest of the barrow which contains a word wall with a part of Kyne's Peace shout.
- The claw will be marked as quest-item until the player clears the barrow.
- If the barrow is left alone for long enough for a reset, Wyndelius' body will remain dead while replenishing a new bottle of Philter of the Phantom.
- It is possible to trap yourself. If you find the journal and assume the claw is somewhere in the barrow to find and try to search for it by pulling the chain then running through the two closing portcullis.
- If the puzzle door does not work, check here for possible fixes.
 Quest Stages
|Lifting the Shroud (FreeformIvarstead01)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
Objective 10: Investigate Shroud Hearth Barrow
Objective 20: Bring Wyndelius's Journal to Wilhelm
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 10, 250.