Magicka is the magical energy that is used to cast spells. It is equivalent to the magic points (MP or mana) used by other RPGs.
 Available Magicka
The amount of magicka you have depends on your character's level and race, as well as the existence of any active enchantment, potion, or blessing which conveys the Fortify Magicka effect. Each time you level up your character, you may add ten points of magicka. High elves inherently have 50 more magicka than members of all other playable races. Gear with a Fortify Magicka enchantment will increase your character's total magicka whenever that gear is worn. The Fortify Magicka effect is also available via many potions, as well as via the Blessing of Julianos and the Atronach Stone.
 Restoring Magicka
Your available magicka is decreased each time you cast a spell. The blue bar in the bottom left of the screen shows you the current status of your magicka (although this bar will be invisible when magicka is full). There are a number of ways to restore magicka:
- Magicka slowly regenerates over time. You regenerate 3.00% of your maximum magicka per second outside of combat and 0.99% in combat.
- Restore Magicka effects are available in various forms:
- Absorb Magicka enchantments allow you to take magicka from enemies.
- Spell Absorption effects are rare, but allow you to gain magicka when enemies cast spells at you.
- High Elves can speed up magicka regeneration with their Highborn racial power (similarly to the way Argonians can speed up health regeneration with their Histskin racial power).
- Whenever your character levels up, your magicka is fully restored.
 NPC Magicka
- The race provides a starting magicka. While the playable races all have a starting magicka of 50, other races have values ranging from 0 to 200.
- Individual NPCs and creatures can have a fixed magicka adjustment. This adjustment is zero for most generic enemies, but can be substantial for quest-specific enemies (values range from -50 to 20000).
- For most NPCs and creatures the class provides an additional 0-10 magicka points per level.
The rate at which enemies regenerate magicka is determined by their race.
- Shock damage attacks drain their target's magicka in addition to damaging health.
- When not in combat it takes about 33 seconds to regenerate your magicka from 0% to 100% without any effects.