|Mammoth (RefID: 0009834C)|
|Location||Bleakwind Basin, Blizzard Rest, Red Road Pass, Sleeping Tree Cave, Steamcrag Camp, Talking Stone Camp, Tumble Arch Pass|
|Mammoth Tusk, Mammoth Snout|
|Primary Skills||Block, Sneak, Archery, One-handed|
|Faction(s)||Creature Faction; Mammoth Faction|
Mammoths are hulking creatures mainly found roaming the tundra of Skyrim, where their bones frequently decorate the landscape. They are enormous beasts, with shaggy coats of fur and long tusks. They are generally found near giant camps, or traveling under the protection of giants in the wilderness. Wild mammoths and tame mammoths can be distinguished by their tusks, those of tame mammoths bearing engravings.
If a tame mammoth is attacked, their herding giant will rush to defend its stock, if it is within detection range. Conversely, if a giant that owns a mammoth is attacked, its herd will also turn hostile, but only until the giant is killed, at which point the mammoth will turn passive again. Mammoths will not enter water or cross a stream in pursuit, and may get stuck behind trees or rocks, which can prove useful for those wishing to evade them or kill them from a distance.
- Mammoths can be hard to kill for lower level characters, since their initial level is much higher than yours at the start of the game.
- Mammoths have 33% resistance against frost attacks, and are immune to paralysis, Ice Form, and Vampiric Grip.
- Regardless of shouts used, perks, or level, you can only stagger a mammoth. It is impossible to actually make a mammoth ragdoll.
- Mammoths cannot be reanimated by any Reanimate spells but can be reanimated by the Ritual Stone power.
- Mammoths seem to pursue targets significantly farther than other foes, which can be helpful for you in combat.
- Mammoths should be engaged with extreme caution unless the player is at a high level, as they hit quite hard. Even then, it is best not to engage more than one at a time.
- Leading a pursuing predator (bear, wolf, dragons, etc.) near a mammoth or tending giant will cause them to attack and possibly kill the predator.
- West of Saarthal, roughly half-way to Frostflow Lighthouse, you can find a preserved mammoth partly encapsulated by ice and pierced with Dwarven weaponry.